Sharon and Kyle?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Britt

Sharon and Kyle?

Post by Britt » Aug 11th 2004, 10:15 pm

In a lot of the fanfiction i've read Sharon has ended up breaking up with Kyle, and a question about "breaking up again?" comes up. Now after the whole show incident (which was waaay in the beginning, i know) did anything drastic happen between them again? I have no idea what their relationship is like, and i don't want to get them all wrong in a ff. By something drastic i mean something like..

another breakup
someone saying "i love you" (and really, honestly meaning it)
an obvious or can-be-inferred change in feelings (by either party)
or whatever else that i haven't mentioned.

If anyone can help, id be really grateful. :D

Another question..

I've noticed that a lot of what gives the characters conversations a lot of realism and just that something that makes you love them, has a lot to do with exactly how they say it. But when you you read it (like on transcripts) it seems to lose something (a lot really) and at times doesn't really flow. (for lack of a better word)

So my question is, do you think it's more important for it to sound better while you're just reading it (but still staying true to the character) or have it be able to be more... (not inferred but i cant really think of the word, but hopefully you get what i mean) whatever like you can see them saying it on the show, even though it may feel/sound weird when you're reading it?

Sorry if any of that was confusing, sometimes im not too good with words and explaining myself. So thanks to anyone who replies (or thinks about it :) )

Post by Guest » Aug 11th 2004, 10:17 pm

also, a LAST question (pretty short one too)

Is there anyone who REALLY changed (as in how they handled themselves, talked) or slight, but notably changed during the 7-19th episodes?

Thanks again, sorry for all the questions. :*

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 11th 2004, 10:43 pm

Have you seen all of the episodes? I ask because in Resolutions Kyle tells Sharon that he loves her. He does seem to mean it. But Sharon doesn't love him and wants to end things for good but can't resist using him for sex.

As for your question about writing the dialogue, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying but I'll try to answer. I think that in a FF the dialogue does have to be different than it was in the show. Obviously there are no visuals so to an extent the characters' lines have to be more descriptive. Fortunately most people reading FFs can easily and accurately imagine the way the words would be spoken by the character if they were watching it instead of reading it so as long as you can write it in the true 'voice' of the characters than it shouldn't seem weird when your audience is reading it. Good use of punctuation is important and a lot of people use * to indicate the word should be emphasized, "Rayanne *always* knows who's going to be there" (is there anything * isn't good for?)
I think that for the most part the characters didn't change that much in the way you were asking about. Graham began to pick up some of Hallie's traits and phrases maybe Brian and Jordan would have continued to rub off on each other.
good luck.

Post by Guest » Aug 11th 2004, 10:52 pm

Thanks! I didn't get to see all of the episodes. I JUST saw the pilot today, and the-n never showed Resolutions and So-Called Angels. (and i probably wont be seeing anymore seeing as the-n only plays it at 4am)

I'll go check a few of the transcripts now, to get a better feel for the situation. (s/k) Thanks again! :)

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 12th 2004, 9:28 am

The transcprits are a fair substitute for seeing the acutal show. I kept missing Resolutions myself and didn't get to see it until last fall when I finally bought the DVDs (10 years after watching the rest of the seriers for the first time). I read the transcript in 98 and probably a few times after. by the time I actually saw the episode it seemed like I had watched it before, most things went just as I had imagined them. I think Sharon's bear was funnier in the transcript than in the show. I just pictured it being way more trashed after Kyle found it hanging from the urinal.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 15th 2004, 5:53 am

grim wrote:(is there anything * isn't good for?)
:wink:
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 15th 2004, 10:51 pm

As far as Sharon and Kyle go, kyle loves Sharon and Sharon just wants to have sex with Kyle! They are not really a couple, just bed buddies!!

Ive read the book "my so-called life goes on" and they still have Sharon sleeping with Kyle.

I only read one Fan Fiction so far. In the book they still have them saying the or something and some of there slang, Just maybe not as much!

Im not sure if I just started to talk a little like them, or if I already did, But I will notice it sometimes, when im talking I add or something and I always say "like" alot!! haha :lol: