NO L.O.V.E <3

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
xxbunniluvxx

NO L.O.V.E <3

Post by xxbunniluvxx » Aug 5th 2004, 5:19 pm

in the end...angela has no remorse for brian ..if she did ..she would just tell him how she felt before jordan interrupted..even if jordan did interrupt she should have refused his command and kiss brian instead..

how i see it:

JORDAN: "c'mon angela lets go"
:::Angela is hesitant then kisses brian on the cheek and says::: "thanks,thanks for everything"

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » Aug 5th 2004, 7:37 pm

I wish Angela went for Brian just cause he was more of an upstanding guy but I don`t think she had any romantic feelings for him. She was just too hung on Jordan. Maybe if we would have seen a 2nd season things would have been different.
There`s Something About My Life....

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Aug 5th 2004, 11:50 pm

I always hoped she'd end up with Brian (or at least expressed some feelings for him, like in xxbunniluvxx's idea). But maybe thats because I relate to Brian more than any character on the show, and i've always had a thing for Claire Danes (well, since I first saw MSCL anyway). So I always figured, if Brian and Angela got together, it would give me hope or something. But I'm probably just analyzing this too much. I bet Brian would over-analyze this the same way. Damn, we're so mildy alike.
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Aug 6th 2004, 11:09 am

As long as Brian continues to be Angela's doormat there is no shot for him. Jordon is unpredictable, he's a challenge. He needs his homework done for him, she helps him with reading. Brian is always there, even when he isn't called. Notice how Angela steps in to ask for a ride to the World Happiness Dance, it's because Brian is suddenly in demand and she's not being offered constant attention from him. On some level it's her safety blanket, it's comforting to know you are desired, even if you don't share it in return. It could happen again if Brian starts dating someone, and say they do get together, if Brian goes back to his old ways she'll be bored and move on in no time. "comforting and annoying, kind of like Brian himself".
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Taylor

Post by Taylor » Aug 8th 2004, 2:20 pm

I agree with the above statement that not being available might contribute to Angela being attracted to Brian.And it's also true that part of the Jordan's appeal is that he is hard to read.However all these things are not at the least important when you really get to know the person you like.Even if Brian did turn into Mr.Unpredictable And Not Taken For Granted, that does not mean that Angela would love him once she started dating him.Of course I'm not taking Jordan's side either.If Angela got to know Jordan ,I'm not sure she would like what she saw.On the other hand,I think Jordan would get even more into Angela once he got to know her.But we'll never now.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: NO L.O.V.E <3

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 9th 2004, 9:36 pm

xxbunniluvxx wrote:in the end...angela has no remorse for brian ..if she did ..she would just tell him how she felt before jordan interrupted..even if jordan did interrupt she should have refused his command and kiss brian instead..

how i see it:

JORDAN: "c'mon angela lets go"
:::Angela is hesitant then kisses brian on the cheek and says::: "thanks,thanks for everything"
I don't get what you mean by "remorse". Do you mean compassion, sympathy, empathy? Or do you mean remorse for leaving Brian (in which case I think it is unfair to judge).
xxbunniluvxx wrote:ishe would just tell him how she felt before jordan interrupted..even if jordan did interrupt she should have refused his command and kiss brian instead..
I think that is two totally different things. One is that you think she should have been honest with Brian, and told him what was in her thoughts and heart, before walking away from him. The second is what you would like for that to be.

There is a moment when it looks to me like there is a possibility for a kiss between Brian and Angela; but if that had happened, I think it would be more because of the circumstances rather than Brian actually meaning something to Angela in a real and lasting romantic way.

In your mind, what would Angela be thanking Brian for, exactly? What is the so-called "everything"?

No matter what Angela is actually feeling at that moment, I don't think that she had enough time to register it in a way to act on it in that moment. I also don't think that if her actual choice was Brian, that she wpuld ever kiss him knowingly in front of Jordan that night.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 9th 2004, 9:51 pm

MyLifeIsBrians wrote:I wish Angela went for Brian just cause he was more of an upstanding guy
Clearly, from your screen name and your avatar you are a Brian Krakow fan, but how do you see him as a more upstanding guy than Jordan?

Brian spreads the sex rumor about Angela, he callously dumps Delia when he sees the potential of a better offer, he excludes Rickie at the dance, and he doesn’t even know how to apologize to Delia without rehashing Angela’s words. Jordan has counts against him as well, but he also does wonderful things that we might not expect of him. MSCL is so great because it refuses to polarize these two characters. One is not this great and caring guy while the other is this selfish and heartless bastard. Both Brian and Jordan can be dicks, but they can both be very kind and gentle, and funny and ambitious. The show signals to us that we should not see these two characters as opposites by doing things like having them both say, "whatever happens, happens"; having them connect over tutoring, "you had to be there"; giving them both qualities that they share with Graham; having them both realize their feelings for Angela through the same poem; and ultimately, by them both falling for the same girl.
Last edited by Jody Barsch* on Aug 9th 2004, 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 9th 2004, 9:59 pm

Both Nothingman and Taylor make excellent points.

I do, however disagree with one thing Taylor wrote:
I think Jordan would get even more into Angela once he got to know her
I don't see that as necessarily true. After the early episodes when she was trying to create a different version of herself to be more appealing to Jordan, Angela has pretty much been herself around him, including her babbling and personal emotions. But it is always possible that he will like her less the closer they get. I don't think that will necessarily happen, but I don't think Jordan is going to suddenly discover all these new things about Angela to make him like her more.

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 9th 2004, 10:18 pm

I think that Jordan would like Angela more as he gets to know her better. I don't really have much to support that except that it was the direction things had already taken. Mainly I think he would like her more because she's great and how could he not?
Brian...callously dumps Delia when he sees the potential of a better offer
I like what you are saying overall about the characters all being good and bad. I watched In Dreams... the other day and I was thinking about Rickie asking Delia out. To me it seemed a lot like the Brian situation. He thinks that going after Delia will be an easier road to having someone to be with. Delia doesn't seem mad at Rickie at all probably because it's totally obvious to her that Rickie is gay so she never gets too emotianlly involved but from my perspective what Rickie does is just as bad as what Brian does. They both ask her out, knowing they don't like her because they aren't getting anywhere with those they do like. We know Sharon believes Brian is in love with Angela, I wonder if she asked around about Brian to see if he was too hopelessly in love with Angela to date other girls the way she asked to see if Rickie was too gay to date girls.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 9th 2004, 10:36 pm

grim4746 wrote:I was thinking about Rickie asking Delia out. To me it seemed a lot like the Brian situation. He thinks that going after Delia will be an easier road to having someone to be with. Delia doesn't seem mad at Rickie at all probably because it's totally obvious to her that Rickie is gay so she never gets too emotianlly involved but from my perspective what Rickie does is just as bad as what Brian does. They both ask her out, knowing they don't like her because they aren't getting anywhere with those they do like.
Grim, what a wonderful incite! I totally agree with that. Poor Delia, she should have stayed at her old school, things just aren't working out for her at liberty. (I liked when someone, it could have been you, mentioned on another thread how they liked how forward Delia was with Brian in the lab, it must have gotten better results at her last school)

grim4746 wrote:We know Sharon believes Brian is in love with Angela, I wonder if she asked around about Brian to see if he was too hopelessly in love with Angela to date other girls the way she asked to see if Rickie was too gay to date girls.
I don't think so. I think it's pretty clear to her from even before the pilot that Brian likes Angela, and who would she have asked? Maybe Sharon didn't care if he was ready for someone else, and this was her tough love way of saying, snap out of Brian!
She takes advantage of you, and you totally let her. I pity you
Last edited by Jody Barsch* on Aug 9th 2004, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 9th 2004, 10:47 pm

Yeah I definitely don't think Sharon gave a second thought to how Brian's feelings for Angela would interfere with something between him and Delia. Possibly she is trying to snap him out of his obsession or perhaps she sees him as a geeky charity case who needs a girlfriend and clearly needs help. I'm not sure that she's wrong. I've always thought Sharon had some interest in hooking Brian up with someone. She seemed to be pushing for him and Gina (" I heard you like, chased the gunmen") to get togther too. I think Sharon's intentions concering Brian are pure enough. As for who she could ask, she could have talked to Rayanne, they had apparently discussed Brian's feelings for Angela before. i doubt it would have been a very fruitful conversation though.

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 10th 2004, 11:25 am

I dont think Angela had to explain her feelings to Brian. She really doesnt have any towards him accept for friendship. She never could like Brian like that, rather he could treat her better or not.

Jordan may not have been the best boyfriend, but he did really care about her and I think she made the right choice to go with Jordan in the end. I think she should have told Brian she only liked him as a friend, but not right there and then.

So I really dont think Angela needed to tell Brian anything, it was the stuff that he already knew!

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Aug 10th 2004, 11:34 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:
MyLifeIsBrians wrote:I wish Angela went for Brian just cause he was more of an upstanding guy
Clearly, from your screen name and your avatar you are a Brian Krakow fan, but how do you see him as a more upstanding guy than Jordan?

Brian spreads the sex rumor about Angela, he callously dumps Delia when he sees the potential of a better offer, he excludes Rickie at the dance, and he doesn’t even know how to apologize to Delia without rehashing Angela’s words. Jordan has counts against him as well, but he also does wonderful things that we might not expect of him. MSCL is so great because it refuses to polarize these two characters. One is not this great and caring guy while the other is this selfish and heartless bastard. Both Brian and Jordan can be dicks, but they can both be very kind and gentle, and funny and ambitious. The show signals to us that we should not see these two characters as opposites by doing things like having them both say, "whatever happens, happens"; having them connect over tutoring, "you had to be there"; giving them both qualities that they share with Graham; having them both realize their feelings for Angela through the same poem; and ultimately, by them both falling for the same girl.
Exactly how I would have said it myself!

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 10th 2004, 10:45 pm

Angela_Catalano wrote:I dont think Angela had to explain her feelings to Brian. She really doesnt have any towards him accept for friendship. She never could like Brian like that, rather he could treat her better or not.

Jordan may not have been the best boyfriend, but he did really care about her and I think she made the right choice to go with Jordan in the end. I think she should have told Brian she only liked him as a friend, but not right there and then.

So I really dont think Angela needed to tell Brian anything, it was the stuff that he already knew!
I disagree. I think that if Angela does have feelings of friendship for brian then she needs to make it clear what her feelings are and that nothing romantic would happen between them. Basically Angela found out that Brian was in love with her, that's a pretty big deal even though she doesn't feel the same way and it definitely warrants some honest direct discussion. For the entire series Angela has been willfully ignorant of Brian's feelings and it's resulted in increasing obsession, her taking advantage and the two of them having conflict. It would be best for them both if she would just clearly state her position. I realize that Brian hasn't been completely clear either but I think it would be easier for Angela to state that she's never going to love him like that than it would be for him to say that he loves her.

kandykiss19
Tino

~

Post by kandykiss19 » Aug 11th 2004, 2:28 am

i dont think she really has feelings for brian, and even if she did i dont think she would show them...im not saying shes like shallow, but hey if this show is as realistic as it seems angela would end up with jordan in the end
Well, either sex or a conversation, ideally both.