Vote on Rayanne (?) --- a real friend?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Vote on Rayanne (?) --- a real friend?

Post by oldguy » Mar 19th 2000, 3:08 am

OK --- Now let's get down to some real issues here:

I think Rayanne is really cool. I think she's a great friend
to Angela. I think she provides Angela with a new and unique
perspective --- a valid perspective. Sure --- she had sex with
Jordan --- but only after Angela and Jordan broke up. I think
Angela has no business being mad at Rayanne in the later
episodes. Sure, Rayanne is a heavy drinker --- she has
problems, and she has a dark side. Does that mean Angela
should dump her friendship in a trash can?

I'd like your vote on whether you think Angela should stay
friends with Rayanne. How many of you think Rayanne's
drinking makes her evil?

ataris
Three Rivers Resident

Re: Vote on Rayanne (?) --- a real friend?

Post by ataris » Mar 19th 2000, 2:25 pm

I think that Angela should stay friends with Rayanne. I know she made some pretty big mistakes but Angela made some too, giving the Greatful Dead tickets that were given to both Angela and Rayanne to Jordan just for a reason to talk to him. Angela and Rayanne need each other as friends.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Mar 20th 2000, 12:36 am

I absolutely love Rayanne. she was a great friend to Angela and I like to believe that they would have become friends again. sure, they were opposites, but that's all the more reason why they needed each other. Rayanne woke something in Angela. she put fun and spice into Angela's life. and Angela in turn grounded Rayanne. I don't think Rayanne is evil because she drank. I think there were many reasons she did what she did, not necessarily just for the wild life. as for sleeping with Jordan, I don't think she should have done that. sure, Angela and Jordan were technically not together, but it was still a crappy thing to do. people react and feel with no regard to reality or reason. Angela was in denial about being "over" Jordan and unfortunately, it took Rayanne's sleeping with him for her to realize this. completely cutting off the friendship with Rayanne was a bit drastic, and they could have talked through it. but when you're 15, you are run by emotion and those crazy hormones that make you even more emotional. okay, so what was I saying??

I was saying that both Rayanne and Angela need each other. they were great friends with each other even though they both made mistakes. don't we all??

emmie

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Mar 20th 2000, 1:35 pm

She was definately a real friend. Yeah the sleeping with Jordan thing was a creepy thing to do, but Angela did say she was over him. That scene from Our Town proved that there could eventually be a dialogue between Angela and Rayanne, I think. Rayanne loved Angela; wanted to be Angela. I don't think she would ever do anything to intentionally hurt Angela. It was just a really big mistake.

I'll always be there for you, you know. I'll always look out for you. And, you know, with your hair like that? It hurts to look at you.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 13th 2002, 2:17 pm

I'm back again resurrecting yet another discussion, so I hope you don't mind.

I do think Rayanne was a real friend to Angela. Part of the reason they meshed so well together was because they were opposites and they fulfilled in each other compenents that each one didn't have. Rayanne gave Angela the courage to take risks, while Angela gave Rayanne the foresight to begin to think about other people rather than just herself.

While I don't condone or excuse Rayanne sleeping with Jordan, alcohol was a factor in the scenario. Granted, using alcohol as an excuse doesn't absolve either one of them for hurting Angela is such a harsh way. But the fact that Angela could forgive Jordan for his indiscretion means that she should also forgive Rayanne as well.

It certainly wouldn't be an easy road for Angela and Rayanne to truly be friends again, and I don't think their friendship could ever be the same. But just as Patty and Camille made up after Patty stole one of Camille's crushes, I definitely think there was enough of a bond between Rayanne and Angela for the same thing to happen.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Rayanne deserved it but Angela was worse?

Post by Joanna » Jan 13th 2002, 4:11 pm

Have any of you people had a friend sleep with your ex SO SOON after a break-up??? (OK, I haven't either - but I have had a lousy friend that wasn't far off). After the Betrayal episode I think that Rayanne got what she deserved from Angela ---- no friend should ever really do that without maybe thinking alittle more about it first (or maybe even asking Angela her view??)!!!! But hey, was Angela ever really that great a friend to Rayanne??? I don't think so - just think of all the times she let her down--- I think Angela let Rayanne down alot more than the other way around....I suppose it just depends on what scale. As for the drinking and sex-starved Rayanne.....well that doesn't make her a bad friend --- it's the worry she caused to her friends that was the problem.....like when Rickie had picked out clothes to wear to her funeral! What an excellent scene that was when he had a go at her in the corridor.

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: Rayanne deserved it but Angela was worse?

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 13th 2002, 6:57 pm

Yes, Joanna, given how understanding and calming Rickie often was to those surrounding him, it was great to see him act out. And it was deserved in this case. While Rayanne might have wanted to escape from the world and was upset that Angela didn't show for the gig, it's obvious that Rickie did everything he could to pump up the "Between Names" show and that he was concerned for her afterwards. She knew he would go crazy, but she just tried to escape.

As for whether or not Angela was a good friend to Rayanne, that is an interesting question. I do think that they equally let each other down, but that's the ups and downs of a friendship. Not all of them are perfect. And especially after Rayanne's brush with death, I think Angela was just afraid of what to do when she was placed in a such a scary situation.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Supposed to read WAS Angela worse? Duh2

Post by Joanna » Jan 14th 2002, 11:21 am

Yes I think it is all part of friendship and we are all a little selfish without realising it sometimes - but that IS friendship as you said - and that's what makes it special...knowing the flaws about a person and still liking them....like Brian's view of Angela.

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

estrid
Tino

Post by estrid » Mar 3rd 2012, 11:14 am

I definitely think Rayanne is a real friend. I mean, I would want her as a friend. I think Angela needed someone to guide her and make her life a little more interesting, like most teenage girls do unless they're Rayannes. :P

However, I think people were to hard on Raynie because she drank and did drugs. But that didn't make her less of a friend! Remember she told her drug counselor that Angela was "totally there for her." I think she was thankful for that. I also think angela was thankful for rayanne. at least before the jordan incident. it seemed like they switched roles - in the beginning rayanne was wild and dominating, and in the end she was left with no friends and she was a mess. angela developed throughout the show, and became this toned-down version of rayanne.