Could Brian and Angela ever hit it off as a couple?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Jack
Yearbook Team

Re: Excuse me?

Post by Jack » Mar 31st 2000, 11:47 am

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Mia. I was going to jump on that one myself, but you beat me to it.
Can you believe it? Is Anonymous really that doltish or are they trying to get a rise out
of people?

Jack

Post by Guest » Mar 31st 2000, 4:14 pm

This is a debate for another time and place, but I meant precisely what I said: Males are in general more intelligent than females. There are many exceptions, but I don't believe Angela to be one of them. It is not my intention to ruffle any feathers, but I don't feel the need to mask my feelings in honor of political correctness. I'm not saying Angela is stupid. I wouldn't want her to change. But I stand by what I said.

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Mar 31st 2000, 5:51 pm

I'd be interested to hear where Anonymous got his information. I've always heard that girls tend to be smarter than boys. In elementary school, it was usually the girls who were smarter, but it was probably because they were, on average, more interested in school. Things change on both sides as people grow up. It's rude and incorrect to generalize and say that girls aren't capable of keeping up with Brian's level of intelligence. (Or vice versa...) It's absolutely ludicrous to make such a statement.

Just had to throw in my two cents... Glad to hear that you have such a good head on your shoulders, Jack. :-)

~angelika~

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Apr 1st 2000, 11:12 pm

I don't know, Jack, ya know? I'm not gonna take him on, b'cause people like that don't change their minds. It's a lost cause. If I cared to pay for the expense, I could send him my Neurology and Psychology textbooks, which show that the sexes have relativally equal intellegence, with a slight bias to females, due to their increased ability in the language part of the brain. But ya know, males are better in the mathematical part, so that's why it evens out.

Anyway, he's just not worth it. And besides, racism and sexism have no pace in my world, so I shan't be visiting this topic in the future. I'll see ya on the rest of the board.

Re: A new topic: Could Brian and Angela ever hit it off as

Post by Guest » Jul 3rd 2001, 8:25 am

isn't jordan apparently really smart ?
that annoying teacher in that episode with the haiku in it seemed to think so

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Jul 4th 2001, 3:24 am

Definitely! Brain and Angela would make a great couple but not as teenagers..... they would have to be at least 25 for things to really happen between them. Brian would need to stop obsessing about Angela and she would have to stop taking him for granted - and they would both need to get over their hormones!!!! How could they NOT get together after that look Angela gave him in the final episode?! It was meant to be!!!

Dengar
Jody Barsh

Post by Dengar » Jul 5th 2001, 7:10 pm

I think your remark was a little sexist there chief.

Dengar
Jody Barsh

Post by Dengar » Jul 5th 2001, 7:36 pm

the possibly of them getting together is very possible i think. first off, brian would have to stop worshiping angela. a healthy relation ship cannot be built on one person not willing to voice his or her opinion in the fear that they will lose the other. he has to learn to tell her how he fells without being afraid, or knowing its the right thing to say. he dosnt have to impress her, or act a sertain way, just the way he natural is. he can be romantic, and insightful, he just has to relax.
angela would have to stop trying to live in a dream world. nothing against jordan, but i dont think he would beable to be what angela wants him to be. good looks cant last forever, and if youre unwilling to talk and let hormoans take over your actions, that whats the point. also angela would have to realize what brian is felling, and stop trying to deny the fact. i dont think shes shallow, as in not respecting brian in the looks, or image thing. it may take awhile, and it may be a touph cortship, but it could defintly happen. like one other person said, that have a past, we dont nessarly know what happened in that past, but cant be all that bad. there still on talking terms yaknow. after all the bestway to build a loving relationship is by friedship first.

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » Jul 6th 2001, 5:55 pm

probably the latter...is it just me or does this seem vaguely familiar to anyone? Like someone said something similar a while back?

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » Jul 6th 2001, 6:05 pm

No, we don't all agree that Brian loves Angela. I, for one, was just considering this when I came upon your post: who says it's not simple infatuation? Just because he's supposedly the more "noble" character, doesn't mean he's in love with Angela. Brian gets plenty of sympathy, and maybe not so deservingly. I mean what did he ever really do for Angela? People can relate to him, the underdog, but that doesn't mean he's such a great person, either...that he treated her any better than Jordan most of the time. I mean, I respect those who side with him, but I have to say, just being who he is in the position he is doesn't automatically render him a hero. And superficial is the last thing I would call Jordan.

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » Jul 6th 2001, 6:10 pm

and this would be that someone...I'm real smart, didn't even realize how old this thing was...

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » Jul 6th 2001, 6:56 pm

So it was you! Ha, ha. Yeah, this is pretty old, though it did get
active again in the last few days.

As far as Brian goes: What hasn't been brought up is just how powerful
the feeling of unrequited love or loss can be. Though Brian hasn't had
Angela's love, then lost it, we see this happen with Jordan. He ends it
with Angela only to want her back. I've done that (I'm ashamed to
admit) to three women; and after getting them back, I broke up with
them again. Not good. I confused loss with love, though I'm sure loss
is part of the complex emotion we call love. In Brian's case, it's an
unrequited love which is often worse, because he can fantasize about
them being a couple; the perfect couple. And, of course, their
relationship would be far from perfect as is everyone's. If they ever
did go out, he would learn pretty quick whether it was love or
infatuation. Okay, that's all for now, gotta go, bye.

Jack

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » Jul 26th 2001, 11:57 pm

oh, no, i just meant that this was that "anonymous" I was remembering...I didn't do it!

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 13th 2002, 10:37 am

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I wanted to resurrect it because I found the comments on it quite insightful (except for the theory that men are generally more intelligent than females).

It always seemed to me that Brian felt about Angela as Angela did about Jordan. I do think that Brian has built up in his mind who Angela is without really knowing her. Yes, they have had some pretty deep conversations, but those stemmed from Angela feeling she could talk to Brian because she sees him simply as a friend. Still, the scene when Brian admits to writing the letter and Angela is welled up in tears, makes me wonder what could have been between them.

I'm a hopeless romantic and have loved the tug-of-war relationship that Jordan and Angela have had throughout the show. While I'm not sure a long-term relationship between the two would last, I do think there is more passion and connection involved with Jordan and Angela than Angela and Brian. Angela does seem to treat Brian more like a brother and that undoubtedly comes from them being friends since such a young age. She can't see him in a romantic light because of everything they've shared in the past.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

tuesdaytee

Angela and Brian--it's up to him

Post by tuesdaytee » Jan 23rd 2004, 11:17 am

I have to disagree with most of you. I think that Brian is adorable, not hot like Jordan, but definitely not bad looking. He will grow into himself more than Jordan. This attitude seems to be shown by alot of you in other threads when you say that you would have wanted Jordan in high school, but you would pick Brian now, in your twenties. I think the ending signified Angela's realization that Jordan and her would never be anything lasting. But she gets in the car with the good-looking boy in a band while watching the brainy neighbor on a bike watch her. Such a typical high school idea: the good-looking boy with a car wins out then but not later, as the episode with the dead kid so reminiscent of Jordan foretells. I think she has feelings for Brian that confuse her. She seems to have possibly wished to sabotage his date with Delia even though she claims she didn't want to. She is upset seeing him and Sharon together. She wants him there for when she's ready. I see it as her realizing that she needs to be young and have fun and like guys wholly wrong for her, but she wants him to be there waiting for her in the end and, the thing is, I don't know if he will. He needs to grow too, and he might grow right past her.