Could Brian and Angela ever hit it off as a couple?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Could Brian and Angela ever hit it off as a couple?

Post by oldguy » Mar 19th 2000, 2:57 am

I wonder if Brian and Angela could ever hit it off as a couple.
I'd like to hear your opinion. I mean, most girls would agree
(i'd bet) that in their dreams they's prefer Jordan --- but this
relationship is also obviously doomed. In an imperfect world,
could Angela be happy with Brian? Could they make it work?
Could Angela grow to have passion for Brian?

I'd like a vote from everyone who's out there paying attention.

saake
Nicky Driscoll

Re: A new topic: Could Brian and Angela ever hit it off as

Post by saake » Mar 19th 2000, 5:50 am

Im sorry to say that I dont thik so.

Sorry becuse I like Brian. But Brian and Angela have known each other since they was 5 yers old, and think they are more like brtoher and sister or some thing like that.

They might try but I thik that it wont last long. They know each other to well.

"In my humbel opinion"
Åke

ataris
Three Rivers Resident

Post by ataris » Mar 19th 2000, 2:10 pm

I don't think that Brian and Angela could work as a couple either. First off as you said they are like brother and sister. Then it seems to me that Angela is trying to loose her good girl image, she's tired of have people think that she'll always act a certain way, her going out with Brian would just take her back to that. Brian's a conversation and Angela needs more then that, same thing with Jordan just being sex. Angela needs both sex and a conversation.

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » Mar 21st 2000, 12:26 am

NO...maybe I'll elaborate later...In my opinion, they couldn't ever even be together for a second, let alone "hit it off".

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Mar 21st 2000, 4:56 pm

I don't see it happening. They're good friends, but that doesn't always translate into a good romantic relationship. Even if they gave it a good try, I think what they want and expect are just too different.

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Post by oldguy » Mar 21st 2000, 8:13 pm

Well, what's interesting about all of your responses is that, the show
(had it continued after episode 19), seemed to be relying alot on the
fact that there was this whole "love-triangle" thing between Angela,
Brian, and Jordan. But if truly Brian & Angela have no chance, then
the final scene in episode 19 seems like it should have no impact,
no punch. The fact that Brian has revealed his true feelings really
goes nowhere.

I'm just speculating --- but it does raise an interesting question.
I mean, from what you all are saying, the show ended on a rather
anti-climactic moment.

mia
Yearbook Team

Anti-climax?

Post by mia » Mar 22nd 2000, 11:45 am

I don't think that's what we're saying at all. Just because they wouldn't make it doesn't mean they wouldn't give it a try, necessarily. Brian's obviously in love with Angela, that wouldn't change even if she didn't feel the same way. They wouldn't have made it. They would've fought too much and Anglea would always be pining for Jordan, even if Brian could drag her away from him. She's too into the appearance thing. But that possibility doesn't make the last moment of Episode 19 any less climactic.

saake
Nicky Driscoll

Re: Anti-climax?

Post by saake » Mar 22nd 2000, 5:09 pm

i agre whit Mia.. and Brians hoples love for Angela might even be explored even deaper in the not made following episodes. Episode 19 makes me curious about Brians life and how he is going to survive his cruch on Angela.
Will Brian ever get over Angela?
Will their friendship last?

It hurts to love some one that dont love you back..

Åke

Any spelling or gramatical error are the produkt of my dyslexia and a languge barier.

gromit
Tino

Post by gromit » Mar 24th 2000, 1:35 pm

Brian and Angela? Going against the general consensus here,
I think that there is definitely a possibility for something
in the "future". At the end of the series, they are only
sophomores. Things change. Brian could suddenly realize that
he's a bit too defensive and passive and try to make a change
for the better. Angela could come to realize that Jordan
really isn't all that great with conversations (which Angela
seems to need). And heck, there's always college!

Brian's letter shows that he's not going to just forget Angela
and would probably still have latent feelings all through
high school, despite the fact that Angela just isn't ready
to accept the possibility, let alone a reality.

Give it a few years, I think a relationship isn't so far-fetched.
I'd especially like to see the arguments they would have, and I'd
think, finally, an intellectual equal for Angela!

Stella

mia
Yearbook Team

Post by mia » Mar 28th 2000, 10:26 am

...an intellectual equal for Angela...

Ok, I could be wrong, but I never really considerded Angela to be that intellectual. Introspective, yes, but intellectual? She constantly cut class, relied on Brian for help with Science and Math...she liked English OK, I guess, but the one time we actually see her concentrating on an assignment is when she's trying to avoid talking to Jordan and copying the vocab words off the blackboard. I can't remember any of her conversations ever going very deep on an intellectual level, though it has been a while since I watched all of the episodes.

Brian was the brain of the show; a double major. He designed that volumeter thingy with the mouse. The only reason Angela showed up that night was because Rayanne said it would be the perfect cover to pick up her fake ID. She used him, and he totally let her.

Maybe it's the lack of sleep over the past 2 nights making me cranky, but really, I think Brian and Angela are on 2 different levels intellectually. Angela's very introspective and analytical, which I suppose could be seen as a different kind of intellect, but it's completely different from the kind of intellect we see in Brian. If they ever did get together, I think sooner or later Brian would realize that the version of Angela he had up on a pedestal didn't exist, and he'd eventually get tired of her.

Alee
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Alee » Mar 28th 2000, 3:19 pm

I don't know that Angela isn't intellectual, but I see what you mean about her and Brian. People like him, who are so book smart, often don't have much common sense, or deep thoughts. I personally don't see anything he has to offer Angela, like I said before I don't think a relationship between them could ever work out.

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Mar 29th 2000, 2:26 pm

I think we all have different definitions for "intellectual." I see ANGELA as intellectual, while I see Brian as being sort of flighty and superficial. Angela has much deeper thoughts--she's very analytical and she doesn't just take things for what they are worth--she looks deeper into situations. Although she often cuts class, I get the feeling that she is one of those people that has the CAPABILITY to get good grades, but doesn't apply herself. While Brian is very booksmart, he has little common sense and often simply takes things for what they are.

I don't think Angela and Brian could ever get together for several reasons:

1. I don't even like to THINK about it, first of all. :-) I get a very incestuous feeling about this relationship.

2. They are on two completely different levels. Although, in some way or another, both of them are intellectual, the way that they think is too different. I get this feeling that they wouldn't be able to understand each other because Brian is so logical and factual, while Angela is analytical.

3. No matter what, Brian will always be Angela's neighbor. In her head she will always see him as a 5 year old, annoying, nerdy guy who rides his bike in circles in front of her house all day. (Not to say that this is all that Brian is--he's much more, but I can't see Angela being able to look past all this.)

4. Although I don't see Angela and Jordan getting married, I think they have the potential for a good high school relationship. Jordan isn't very booksmart, but it seems like he is good at analyzing life (think of Sonnet 130, which Mr. Katimski reads aloud in class--a beautiful scene...). He is on Angela's analytical level much more than Brian is. In my humble opinion... :-)

~angelika~

grim4746
Krakow

Angela and Brian

Post by grim4746 » Mar 30th 2000, 1:36 am

I think they could have become a couple, maybe even a good one. I agree that Angela isn't very intellectual. Her introspection is emotional and often not well thought out. Brian of course is intellectual in an book smart kind of way. He can be emotional maybe even in the same way as Angela. I keep thinking of "Life of Brian" at the end when he is talking about her hair smelling like the orange grove. It seems like a very ANgela way to think, like when she was talking about the loose thread (or something like that) on Jordan's shirt. They really aren't that different emotionally. Intellectually Angela seems to fall a bit short. I can't get passed her comment about Anne Frank in the pilot episode. I know that she redeems herself later when explaining the book to the cop but I still don't think she's very intellectual. She's certainly not stupid. Basically she's a 15 year old so it's only natural that she would skip class and not really be too concerned with shcool. I know that this is not true for
all 15 year olds but it's not uncommon at all. I think it's the way they fight that makes me think they could be good together. When they argue, even though they are disagreeing they seem to be so much on the same level and in tune with each other. WHen ANgela and JOrdan fight it's completely different and shows how far apart they are as people. I don't think that they could build a relationship on fighting but it seems reasonable to think they could develope that into something real and positive.
The main reason they couldn't be a couple is that ANgela has no interest in Brian. But they are only 15 and as they grow they will change and i don't think it's unreasonalbe to think that the way Angela sees Brian would change. I don't think it would necessarily happen but I do believe it is possible and I think that if it did happen they could have a great relationship.

Post by Guest » Mar 30th 2000, 7:29 pm

Brian loves Angela, this much we can all agree on. What true feelings Angela has for Brian, if any, is where the disagreements start. I could see perhaps Brian and Angela already having had a relationship in the past, even earlier in their youth. Everything is always so tense and emotionally charged between them, it seems like there is more going on than we know about. Like the Bicycle Thief. Can you see Angela going to a movie with Brian during the run of the series? Yet this is something she has done in the past. Whether or not Angela would be able to get past the physical trappings of someone like Jordan is hard to say. He is so blatantly superficial and unintelligent that you would think it might bother her at least a little, but it doesn't seem to. He seems to have weaved his spell over the audience, too, considering how much sympathy he generates and how little Brian seems to. As far as the whole who is intellectual and who isn't debate goes, Brian is more booksmart than Angela, and I think his emotional depth is what separates him from Jordan. (I don't want to come off as anti-Jordan, I'm not, it's just he doesn't have the mental abilities to satisfy someone like Angela forever, even if he wanted to, which I'm not sure he does, anyway.) Angela is a girl, after all, and we can't expect her to keep up with Brian when it comes to sheer intelligence, but she is beautiful and introspective and three-dimensional and I would never want her to change. So, in conclusion, the way things stand at the end of the series I don't see a future for Angela and Brian, but I think realistically they have a better shot of having a lasting relationship than her and Jordan, if she could perhaps somehow put aside the fact that Brian isn't the most handsome fellow in the world, and I'm not sure that's the best thing, or the most fair thing to ask her to do.

mia
Yearbook Team

Excuse me?

Post by mia » Mar 31st 2000, 10:06 am

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Angela is a girl, after all, and we can't expect her to keep up with Brian when it comes to sheer intelligence...<p><hr></blockquote><p>What's that supposed to mean?