Confusion from a scene in the "pressure" episode

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

Confusion from a scene in the "pressure" episode

Post by Guest » Feb 5th 2004, 9:53 pm

so you know the part in the "pressure" episode where rickie talks about how its important to wait until youre ready to have sex while he and angela are in the bathroom, and then the blonde girl with the nose stud who used to "date" jordan comes out and says to angela "i know i dont know you or anything but did you ever work at big guy burger?"

i was just wondering if anyone knew what she meant by that because i didnt understand the relevance at all.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 5th 2004, 10:12 pm

I think Cynthia was just trying to figure out why Angela looked familiar to her. When you go to a big school, often you recognize someone but can't remember where you have seen them before. If there is any relevance beyond that, it's probably that although Angela views Cynthia as somewhat of a rival (having already ummmed Jordan), Cynthia doesn't even know who Angela is.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Post by Guest » Feb 6th 2004, 12:01 pm

candygirl wrote:I think Cynthia was just trying to figure out why Angela looked familiar to her. When you go to a big school, often you recognize someone but can't remember where you have seen them before. If there is any relevance beyond that, it's probably that although Angela views Cynthia as somewhat of a rival (having already ummmed Jordan), Cynthia doesn't even know who Angela is.
Another question about that scene.When she says to Rickie" what you said is so beautiful because it's exactly what that's like", what does she mean?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 6th 2004, 2:59 pm

Angela : I feel so stupid -- my entire relationship with Jordan Catalano, every minute of it just completely sucked. And now it's over. I should have just had sex with him. Why not? It'd've been so simple.

Rickie : But maybe it shouldn't be. So simple. I mean, not that I know -- I know what I'm talking about, or anything, since I've never, you know, experienced this, or what have you. But even if I did meet the perfect person, I just think that it should be like a miracle, like seeing a comet -- or just feeling like you're seeing one. Seeing the other person's perfectness -- or something. And if you do it before you're ready, how are you going to see all that? Not that I would like know, or anything.

Cynthia : What you said -- how it was like so beautiful that's exactly what it's like.
I don't think there's any underlying subtext here - Cynthia agrees with what Rickie is saying, namely that if you have sex with the right person it's an amazing experience.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Post by Guest » Feb 7th 2004, 1:21 pm

candygirl wrote:
Angela : I feel so stupid -- my entire relationship with Jordan Catalano, every minute of it just completely sucked. And now it's over. I should have just had sex with him. Why not? It'd've been so simple.

Rickie : But maybe it shouldn't be. So simple. I mean, not that I know -- I know what I'm talking about, or anything, since I've never, you know, experienced this, or what have you. But even if I did meet the perfect person, I just think that it should be like a miracle, like seeing a comet -- or just feeling like you're seeing one. Seeing the other person's perfectness -- or something. And if you do it before you're ready, how are you going to see all that? Not that I would like know, or anything.

Cynthia : What you said -- how it was like so beautiful that's exactly what it's like.
I don't think there's any underlying subtext here - Cynthia agrees with what Rickie is saying, namely that if you have sex with the right person it's an amazing experience.
yeah, that makes sense.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 12th 2004, 9:26 pm

candygirl wrote:Cynthia agrees with what Rickie is saying, namely that if you have sex with the right person it's an amazing experience.
Yes, this much is clear, but the question is: did Cynthia have this kind of sex with Jordan? Really, I'm not trying to get dirty, just reaching for a better understanding of who Jordan is as a person.

I have always loved this scene, Cynthia Hargrove cracks me up, and she just nails that line. I like that you pointed out that Angela is thinking of her somewhat as competition while Cynthia doesn't even know who she is (except of course that she was in the stall to hear the entire conversation between Rickie and Angela, where she does say Jordan's full name).

I have always taken Cynthia's question as being less about Angela, and more about Big Guy Burger, listen to what words she stresses. I think my favorite thing about this scene is how Cynthia feels the need to set it up as a really personal question, and then all she asks is if Angela ever worked at the local hamburger stand. It's classic.[/i]
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !