why was this show cancelled?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
scjoyner
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Re:

Post by scjoyner » Oct 29th 2007, 8:16 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:
scjoyner wrote:In fact, Steve Joyner was pilloried by many for stating that fact on May 17, 1995.
Wow, totally new word to me! I broke out my OED: To attack or ridicule publicly. Awesome. (Not that it happened, but the word itself.)
Ha. Well, I guess it fits. But better this than the original meaning of the word (circa 16th century)!
Social corrective combining public humiliation and discomfort, occasionally death. The offender's hands and neck were immobilized within a hinged pair of planks attached to an upright post on a platform, erected in open spaces, usually for an hour on market-day.
Steve C. Joyner
MSCL.com, Cofounder
OLS (Operation Life Support), Founder
steve@mscl.com

Greybird
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Greybird » Oct 29th 2007, 10:47 pm

scjoyner wrote:[...] OLS, as early as January 1995, was intimately aware that Claire (actually her mother and then agent, Mike Lazzo) wanted to quit the show.
You kept raising money from the rest of us, nonetheless, for four more months. (Two, in my case.) Why did you continue to ask for it? Why did you waste it on those ads?

And what does that say about you? If you were misrepresenting the show's survival prospects then, in light of the information you had, why should we believe your chronology now?
In fact, Steve Joyner was pilloried by many for stating that fact on May 17, 1995.
When the fan lobbying effort, as far as you were concerned, was revealed that day to not have had any hope, and you had been carrying on that effort for months as if it had ... just what did you expect?

As to likely causes and parties, I stand by how I assessed the matter nearly three years ago, earlier in this thread. I haven't seen anything since, as far as who the players and their weightings are, to contradict it.
Greybird of Starhaven
"MSCL" crazy since March 1995

scjoyner
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re:

Post by scjoyner » Oct 29th 2007, 11:03 pm

Greybird wrote:
scjoyner wrote:[...] OLS, as early as January 1995, was intimately aware that Claire (actually her mother and then agent, Mike Lazzo) wanted to quit the show.
You kept raising money from the rest of us, nonetheless, for four more months. (Two, in my case.) Why did you continue to ask for it? Why did you waste it on those ads?

And what does that say about you? If you were misrepresenting the show's survival prospects then, in light of the information you had, why should we believe your chronology now?
In fact, Steve Joyner was pilloried by many for stating that fact on May 17, 1995.
When the fan lobbying effort, as far as you were concerned, was revealed that day to not have had any hope, and you had been carrying on that effort for months as if it had ... just what did you expect?

As to likely causes and parties, I stand by how I assessed the matter nearly three years ago, earlier in this thread. I haven't seen anything since, as far as who the players and their weightings are, to contradict it.
You're entitled to your deluded, uninformed opinion.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Re: Re:

Post by TomSpeed » Nov 3rd 2007, 11:25 pm

scjoyner wrote:
TomSpeed wrote:People who fought to save the show, Operation Life Support, didn't know that she wanted to quit.
Obsolutely incorrect. OLS, as early as January 1995, was intimately aware that Claire (actually her mother and then agent, Mike Lazzo) wanted to quit the show. In fact, Steve Joyner was pilloried by many for stating that fact on May 17, 1995.

Steve C. Joyner
Founder of Operation Life Support
Wow, I'm a little surprised to see this thread resurrected after all of this time. The source of my post was Jennifer Ambrose's biography, Claire Danes. The biography is kind of a glossy puff-piece. Ambrose mentions that you became aware of the fact that Claire wanted off of the show and that you took some steps to further the efforts of Operation Life Support that might have provoked anger from Claire. Unfortunately, Ambrose doesn't go into much detail. I wasn't sure how much time elapsed between Claire's expressing her desire to not do another season and when Operation Life Support started its efforts to save the show. It seems like Operation Life Support started its efforts in December 1994. Claire seems to have met with ABC in January 1995. That was the sequence of time I was referencing. No matter how much a fan loved the show, however, I think it would have been wrong to take Claire to task for wanting to explore other career opportunities.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/