Angela's obsession

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Deleted item

Angela's obsession

Post by Deleted item » Dec 10th 2003, 2:28 pm

Exactly how long is/ was Angela obsessed with Jordan? In the Pilot she is already pretty hooked.So,my question is-when did she start to fall for him?Because I find it hard to believe that she would become so infatuated by him in only one or two weeks.( since the beginning of that school year)

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 10th 2003, 6:44 pm

I believe it. Teenagers fall hard fast for the object of their desires.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Dec 10th 2003, 9:06 pm

I think that Angela had liked Jordan for a while (probably more than two weeks, although not necessarily for several months). Although the show begins several episodes before Halloween, I never got the feeling that the series began at the very beginning of the school year 9things seemed kind of settled-in, the teachers now their students, Angela has begun hanging out with a new friend...

Now that I have reviewed the episodes, there are seven before Halloween, and there are nine weeks of school before Halloween, so I'm not exactly sure what I am saying, but considering we do not know how much time has passed between episodes (such Life of Brian and Self-Esteem), it is difficult to accurately say when the series begins in relation to the first day of school. also, there is nothing to say that Angela hadn't noticed Jordan her freshman year. However, in Pilot it seems as though Angela is still in the beginning stages of her crush-- she concentrates on the very little she knows of him- how he leans (something she can learn from afar), and on the one time they had contact (during the pop quiz). Also, her friends are all finding out about her crush for the first time, and it is all still a fantasy, a distant fantasy at that, since Angela is talking about wanting to have sex or a conversation with (only in an ideal world it would be both, but still no mention of a relationship), but as we get to know her better, we learn that, although the idea might tempt her, Angela would never just have sex with a guy, not even a conversation is enough, she needs a relationship.

This probably didn't help you, as I seem to be going back and forth. It was worth a try.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

xixamxkriztenx
Frozen Embryo

Post by xixamxkriztenx » Jan 18th 2004, 9:10 pm

"Teenagers fall hard fast for the object of their desires."

That's completely true, it's takes a second to become obsessed, & forever to get over it. I'm in the middle of going through that right now. I met someone, like, actually starting talking to & hanging out, not just staring from afar like Angela, & became instantly obsessed, that was a year ago, & I'm still trying to get over it. I've had those moments just like she did where I'll think I'm over it, but then I see her & it's like that thought never happened, I'm right back where I started. So, heh, I guess the point of this was that, yes, teenagers do fall hard & fast, it could have been two days before the pilot that Angela first saw Jordan & she could have sounded just like she did, but then, there is something that makes me think that's not how it happened, I think her obsession had been going for a while.
.xkriztenx.

"School is a battlefield ... for your heart."

"Eat your cereal with a fork and do your homework in the dark."

"I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen."

"All I care about in this stupid life is me, and my drums, and you."

kandykiss19
Tino

haha

Post by kandykiss19 » Jul 28th 2004, 1:15 am

yeah right 1 or 2 weeks is a very long time to develop an obsession, all you need is like 1 or 2 hours, tops. :P
Well, either sex or a conversation, ideally both.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Re: haha

Post by emmie » Jul 28th 2004, 3:27 pm

kandykiss19 wrote:yeah right 1 or 2 weeks is a very long time to develop an obsession, all you need is like 1 or 2 hours, tops. :P
especially when you are an introspective person like Angela. she openly admits to analyzing every little detail of her and Jordan. when you spend so much time thinking and fantasizing, time mutliplies exponentially. and speaking from past experiences from an introspective person, almost all of my hardcore crushes in high school were instantaneous when I saw them. either by something they said, how they looked, or interaction with others around, it was crush by first sight. that sounds corny, but it's the best way to describe it.

muruch
Nicky Driscoll

Post by muruch » Jul 30th 2004, 12:43 pm

I think it's likely that they had been in school together the year before during Freshman year, and possibly before that. Not just because of the intensity of Angela's crush, but because Jordan knew her name in The Pilot- he called out "Angela?" when he saw her at Let's Bolt.
Muruch 'thanks a lot, big brain' -kurt vonnegut