Few questions

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
James

Few questions

Post by James » Sep 26th 2003, 11:42 am

Does Brian really have a sister?In So-called Angels he mentions his sister in Denver but when Patty says to Graham "Guess what Bernice and Bob Krakow did", his replay is "I know but just that ONCE, to make Brian, huh?"

How much does Angela actually know about Jordan's home life? In "On the wagon" she says " Jordan Catalano is partly Italian." Of course his father is Italian( we know that from his last name),but how does she know that his mother is not?I guess I find it hard to believe that he would talk to her about his mom and his life.

When is Angela's birthday?Last mention of her being fifteen is in "Pressure" when Dr. Skolnick says"It seems that you have became fifteen years old".But I guess she's not sixteen yet either.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Sep 29th 2003, 10:14 pm

Maybe Brian has a half-sister who lives with her parent in Denver?
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Re: Few questions

Post by dTheater » Sep 29th 2003, 10:14 pm

James wrote:Does Brian really have a sister?In So-called Angels he mentions his sister in Denver but when Patty says to Graham "Guess what Bernice and Bob Krakow did", his replay is "I know but just that ONCE, to make Brian, huh?"

How much does Angela actually know about Jordan's home life? In "On the wagon" she says " Jordan Catalano is partly Italian." Of course his father is Italian( we know that from his last name),but how does she know that his mother is not?I guess I find it hard to believe that he would talk to her about his mom and his life.

When is Angela's birthday?Last mention of her being fifteen is in "Pressure" when Dr. Skolnick says"It seems that you have became fifteen years old".But I guess she's not sixteen yet either.
Question A) Maybe his sister ws adopted. Otherwise, chalk that up as a mistake along with the Chase basement.

Question B) Being "partly" Italian just means he's not %100 Italian. So whether his mother is or isn't Italian means nothing; as long as one of his parents has at least 1% of another ethnicity, that makes him only "partly" Italian.

Question 3) Angela's birthDATE is never mentioned as far as I know. However, the title of MSCL in Germany I believe was - when translated to English - Angela, 15 Years Old.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Clockwork orange
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Clockwork orange » Sep 30th 2003, 9:08 am

[
quote="dTheaterQuestion B) Being "partly" Italian just means he's not %100 Italian. So whether his mother is or isn't Italian means nothing; as long as one of his parents has at least 1% of another ethnicity, that makes him only "partly" Italian.
I don't know.I always thought Jordan's father was head of Italian organized crime in Pittsburgh.His mother who was not Italian died while giving birth to her son,who was to inherate the familiy bussines.But his father realized that his son was not adequate for the job which led to frustration which resulted in physical abuse of his son.But then it hit him;there's another qualified young man for that job: youngster called TINO.
"What we do in life,echoes in eternity."

sine
Three Rivers Resident

Post by sine » Sep 30th 2003, 5:12 pm

Clockwork orange wrote:I don't know.I always thought Jordan's father was head of Italian organized crime in Pittsburgh.His mother who was not Italian died while giving birth to her son,who was to inherate the familiy bussines.But his father realized that his son was not adequate for the job which led to frustration which resulted in physical abuse of his son.But then it hit him;there's another qualified young man for that job: youngster called TINO.
Now, that's hilarious! :D A premise like this would be fantastic for some fanfic work!

Been a while since reading the book, but mentioning organized crime, Pittsburgh and Tino it occured to me: after highschool Tino might have a future as Cleveland from The Mysteries of Pittsburgh!
G: it's a problem, when everybody is spitting in the same spittoon (I mean cuspidor). are you following my drift?
D: barely, but let's pretend that I am

-- New Planet, Milwaukee Youth Center Choir

DarkApprentice
Tino

Post by DarkApprentice » Oct 1st 2003, 11:03 am

dTheater wrote:
Question B) Being "partly" Italian just means he's not %100 Italian. So whether his mother is or isn't Italian means nothing; as long as one of his parents has at least 1% of another ethnicity, that makes him only "partly" Italian.
Going by your definition, I don't think *anyone* can be a "true" italian.
"He wants you to work on his apparatus!"

James

Post by James » Oct 1st 2003, 12:57 pm

DarkApprentice wrote:
dTheater wrote:
Going by your definition, I don't think *anyone* can be a "true" italian.
I agree.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 1st 2003, 5:27 pm

Angela, like most young people, has an attraction for foreign, new, unreachable, or other-like people/things. Italians are sexy and desirable as compared to white Anglo-Saxons. Jordan is part-Italian. He is desirable. Also, Italians, according to myth and custom, are romantic people. Country people feel the same way about city people. People in the South glamorize white Christmases.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Oct 9th 2003, 10:34 pm

sine wrote:
Clockwork orange wrote:I don't know.I always thought Jordan's father was head of Italian organized crime in Pittsburgh.His mother who was not Italian died while giving birth to her son,who was to inherate the familiy bussines.But his father realized that his son was not adequate for the job which led to frustration which resulted in physical abuse of his son.But then it hit him;there's another qualified young man for that job: youngster called TINO.
Now, that's hilarious! :D A premise like this would be fantastic for some fanfic work!
Well except for the organized crime part, I wrote a fanfic just like that.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 22nd 2003, 9:58 pm

they do clarify that Angela is 15 in the episode dancing in the dark when she is being attacked by Jordan... :oops: but I dont know why they dont give her a birthday... maybe because they want more people to relate to her... not by age but by experience... and then even though we dont see jordan telling her he is part italian it is a school and people just know certain things about you that are not even relevant... besides maybe he did tell her but we dont get to see... he doesnt look italian though... he looks greek... like a greek god :wink: and when they mention brians sister I think it is just to give more depth to the character just like with jordan being mentioned he is part italian... it just gives the characters more depth... even if we dont get to see the sister or jordan being part italian its just something for the audience to see more into... in my humble opinion... :-P
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 23rd 2003, 3:37 am

Lots of things happen off-camera. Just because something isn't explicitly shown doesn't mean that it didn't happen. For example, there were Halloween, Christmas, and New Year's Eve episodes but no Thanksgiving episode. Does that mean it didn't exist or that the Chases don't celebrate it? Quite the contrary - it is understood that Thanksgiving exists in the MSCL world (Danielle even mentions it in Other People's Mothers). There is no explanation as to how Angela and Jordan went from their exchange outside the World Happiness dance (Life of Brian) to making out in the boiler room (Self-Esteem) but we know that something happened (for more discussion on this see Discussion for Self-Esteem or Continuity problem between Life of Brian & Self-Esteem).

We know that Dancing in the Dark takes place some time in October because of the calendar in Brian's kitchen, and the final episode takes place some time after the New Year holiday (most likely it's still January). Either Angela's birthday takes place between January and October (fairly likely) or it took place off camera some time after Pressure (November/December). It's unlikely that the writers would ignore Angela turning 16, so the first explanation seems more reasonable.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 23rd 2003, 3:47 am

I noticed the calendar to in dancing in the dark but i guess it does not clarify how long after an episode takes place... I mean the halloween episode was like 6 episodes after dancing in the dark so that would be like six weeks but then why would october be on the calendar so I guess the time moves different in three rivers... and yeah how did they go from flirting outside the dance to makin out in the BR???
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 23rd 2003, 1:42 pm

Just because the show was on our tvs every week on the same night does not mean that each episode took place on the same night. Some episodes covered a few days (not just 40 consecutive minutes of Angela's life) and it's very likely that some of the episodes were intended to take place immediately after the previous one. In other words, watching six episodes over six weeks does not mean that the situations took six weeks to happen to Angela (So-Called Angels is six episodes after Halloween, but there are more than six weeks between Halloween and Christmas).

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 23rd 2003, 5:34 pm

TV-time and real-time don't co-exist, unless you are watching 24.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 23rd 2003, 6:29 pm

And even then the amount of time elapsed during commercials doesn't match the times shown onscreen! According to imbd.com:
Each episode is supposed to take one hour of real time, but in actuality, three minutes are gradually added to the timer during the commercial breaks. The last three minutes of air time are used for viewing commercials, station identification, and scenes from the next episode.