Discussion for episode 18: Weekend

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » May 14th 2003, 10:07 pm

TomSpeed wrote:A normal dad keeps jumper cables in the car trunk. He always carries a lighter or matches, even if he doesn't smoke. He owns a Swiss Army knife. And, in case he runs out of matches, he must know how to make a fire. He must also know how to fix a car engine using string, duckt tape, and chewing gum. He also needs to know how to repair sagging rain gutters and loose floor boards. Oh, he must also own a pair of wire shears. Feel free to add your own criteria for a normal dad.
That's not a dad. That's Magiver!
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

meggrrrl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by meggrrrl » May 15th 2003, 7:11 am

That's not a dad. That's Magiver!
Seriously. I think we've moved past normal dad to fantasy perfect dad. I think my dad was very normal but he couldn't do a lot of those things. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have wire shears. My husband (who is also a dad) doesn't do any of those things and he's normal - though a young dad, not the type of dad Brian was probably referring to, I guess.

I think this line shows Brian's insecurity about his parents - he's so sure that the Chases are much, much more "normal" than his parents. This is confirmed in the end when Graham says he things Bob Krackow would have wire shears.

Speaking of the end - I've always wanted to know how Patty got out. Did Angela slip the key under the door?

Meg

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » May 15th 2003, 9:09 am

The term "normal dad" really doesn't have any meaning. Dads, like people in general, vary. Our expectations of dads can sometimes be unrealistic. Brian's belief that his family is abnormal is false. His belief shows that he has an unrealistic view of family life. Of course, young children often view their fathers as super heroes. They learn that their dads are mere mortals as they grow older. I think it would be cool to have MacGyver as a dad though.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » May 15th 2003, 8:25 pm

Of course, Sharon could be talking about Angela's 15th birthday. We know Angela is 15 years old at the start of the school year. So, her birthday probably falls somewhere between late Jan. or Feb. and August. Hmmm.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » May 15th 2003, 8:29 pm

One tidbit...

Graham's shirt that he ruins fixing Hallie's car is not the same shirt that Patty gave him in an earlier episode. Grrr!
TomSpeed

seedman
Tino

Post by seedman » Jun 4th 2003, 3:53 pm

I don't know if anyone has discussed this but did you catch Patty's mention of going ice-skating?

In the pilot Patty wants the family to go skating, but they all have other plans and never get to go. Here again she wants the group to go skating, but they blow her off.

If you believe the interpretation of the Angela's World essay (and I do) that this episode is parody and that they knew they were to be cancelled, one might suggest that the failure to go skating represents the failure of the show to be allowed to get where they wanted to go.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jun 4th 2003, 4:09 pm

In the pilot Patty wants the family to go skating, but they all have other plans and never get to go. Here again she wants the group to go skating, but they blow her off.

If you believe the interpretation of the Angela's World essay (and I do) that this episode is parody and that they knew they were to be cancelled, one might suggest that the failure to go skating represents the failure of the show to be allowed to get where they wanted to go
I always noticed Patty's fondness for skating, but I never thought much of it beyond a reacuring theme. Good insight seedman.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 4th 2003, 5:03 pm

Hee. You said "seedman". :huh:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

svenkid
Nicky Driscoll

Post by svenkid » Oct 9th 2006, 7:53 pm

good episode! one thing I noticed that was kinda cool was when sharon and her mom go into the room, and rayanne is playing sick etc., rayanne gives sharomn a quick knowing glance to kind of tell her that it's a trick. nice little funny moment.

Oh and we notice that:
1) rickie is putting on makeup in this episode
2) we see rickie interacting w/ katimski on the phone, and he calls him Mr. Katimski, I guess he keeps it formal even though he lives at his place.
the episode so-called angels, does it to me every time!

RCBS
Overlooked Sibling
Location: 100 miles from Three Rivers, on the good side of the River

Re:

Post by RCBS » Aug 11th 2011, 6:51 pm

Biscuits n gravy.
Last edited by RCBS on Dec 16th 2016, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuffaloLawnmower
Liberty High Student

Re: Discussion for episode 18: Weekend

Post by BuffaloLawnmower » Aug 27th 2011, 6:56 am

I just watched this episode for the first time about a week ago (only started watching the series in mid-July; finally have finished it! yay! I'm also going to re-watch it because I've gotten a few others interested in seeing it :D). Honestly, I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Yes, it was completely silly. However, I really liked having Danielle's point of view. I could totally relate to how she felt: while I'm the oldest (of two) now-grown children, I often felt like that when I'd hang out with this one girl at my school who hung out with older kids in her neighboorhood. The girl that I hung out with was the 'Angela' to my 'Danielle'; I technically was just a few months older than her, but she acted older and grew up faster than I did. I know that a lot of fans find her annoying (which is sort of intentional), but I actually like Danielle. I also found it interesting about what she said about her life "being edited". I would have been curious to have more episodes narrated by her. I think that she is smarter and more 'aware' than a lot of the older people around her give her credit for, and that she tends to be in the shadow of Angela. If people really paid attention to Danielle, they might see that she does have her good points and that her company might even be enjoyable. Danielle and Sharon seemed to have a really good time together in the episode "Halloween"; maybe Angela's other friends would find that they could enjoy spending time with Danielle, too, and maybe even eventually see her as another friend when she was a bit older. I also thought that her crush on Brian was cute, though also a bit sad. It kind of mirrors his crush on Angela. Angela (and the other characters) really don't know that Brian exists, for the most part, except when they want something or need something. The other characters also tend not to notice that Danielle exists except when she irritates them. Both Brian and Danielle might be considered annoying by the other characters, but really both of them are just trying to reach out and find some companionship, which is something that the other characters don't seem to realize. All in all, I really liked this episode, and enjoyed some comedic relief after the intensity of "Betrayal".

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 27th 2011, 2:14 pm

And who doesn't love Patty Chase drunk? And Cheryl Fleck is entertaining. My favorites in this episode are: Danielle doing makeup with Rickie and Angela, Angela's exploration of justice, Danielle and Rayanne's exchange, Angela's reaction to see Daniele and Rayanne together, and Danielle asking about next weekend. Plus, Graham's "Look at the size of that baby!" :mrgreen:
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

BuffaloLawnmower
Liberty High Student

Post by BuffaloLawnmower » Nov 7th 2011, 7:22 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:And who doesn't love Patty Chase drunk? And Cheryl Fleck is entertaining. My favorites in this episode are: Danielle doing makeup with Rickie and Angela, Angela's exploration of justice, Danielle and Rayanne's exchange, Angela's reaction to see Daniele and Rayanne together, and Danielle asking about next weekend. Plus, Graham's "Look at the size of that baby!" :mrgreen:
--I LOVE the drunk Patty. I get the same way when I have too much to drink, so I could totally relate (as well as to the "walk of shame" hangover moment). She was hilarious. I also am a HUGE fan of "Twin Peaks", so I had a "squee" moment when I saw Jack Nance (who played Pete Martell on "Twin Peaks") in that episode.

Mutajon
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Mutajon » Nov 7th 2011, 1:16 pm

BuffaloLawnmower wrote:I also am a HUGE fan of "Twin Peaks", so I had a "squee" moment when I saw Jack Nance (who played Pete Martell on "Twin Peaks") in that episode.
Ditto :)

(Although, speaking of shows that went on for too long, Twin Peaks is sadly one of them... The first season was perfect! The second MUCH less so.)
"Aaaand dance by the light of the mooooon"

BuffaloLawnmower
Liberty High Student

Post by BuffaloLawnmower » Nov 8th 2011, 5:12 am

Mutajon wrote:
BuffaloLawnmower wrote:I also am a HUGE fan of "Twin Peaks", so I had a "squee" moment when I saw Jack Nance (who played Pete Martell on "Twin Peaks") in that episode.
Ditto :)

(Although, speaking of shows that went on for too long, Twin Peaks is sadly one of them... The first season was perfect! The second MUCH less so.)
YAY! Another Twin Peaks fan! *hands you a damn fine cup of coffee and some cherry pie*

I actually DID like the second season, but I know that I'm in the minority. To my understanding, Lynch wanted to wait to reveal the killer but the suits at ABC forced his hand early, so he had to make do and I think that there are some great moments. I could have lived without all of the Donna and James stuff, though--in both seasons. Also the whole triangle with Lucy-Andy-Richard Tremaine. Still, those things aside, it's a close second to MSCL for the title of my favorite show.

PS Just for your amusement:

"Twin Bricks" (Twin Peaks, quickly summed up in Legos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zydZq2lVnns

There's also an episode of Monsterpiece Theater from "Sesame Street" called "Twin Beaks" that is AWESOME and the show "Psych" did an episode called "Dual Spires" that is just LOADED with references and actors from "Twin Peaks".

Sorry to get off-topic, but I just had to share that.

I wonder if there are any good parodies/spoofs/tributes to "My So-Called Life" out there, speaking of those things? If anyone ever finds or makes any that are really good, I'd be glad to know!