skipping mscl scenes?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Red
Frozen Embryo

skipping mscl scenes?

Post by Red » Mar 28th 2001, 2:48 pm

Hi, I'm new here, though i've been a fan of MSCL for about 5 years now.

Anyway, I'm I the only one who skips the Patty and Graham scenes when watching the episodes? I mean when I first watched them the first round...I did watch them. But not when I re-watch the episodes... I don't know, but I just don't want to know about their lives...I know this is bad and low of me to think this. But it's not my fault that I think this...(I can't control what I think, i mean you're supposed to but the reality is you can't)

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Re: skipping mscl scenes?

Post by socalledfan » May 10th 2001, 1:27 pm

Hi Red,

I have actually had the opposite experience. The first few times I watched the shows (first on ABC, then reruns on MTV) I loathed the Patty and Graham scenes and storylines because I felt they just took away screen time from Angela and company.

But I recently re-watched the entire series on tape and discovered that this time around, I *was* interested in the Patty and Graham stories. Maybe it's because I'm in my mid-twenties now, and maybe it's because their relationship is so complex and imperfect and the writers handled this all so well. The inclusion of Patty and Graham as distinct characters with real problems and faults and discussions made this show even more real. Also, it dealt with the parent-child relationship in an extremely honest way. We all know how horrible your parents seem when you were a teenager. You didn't understand them and they didn't understand you. MSCL gave us the first honest look at family life ever on television. Bravo.

MSCL wasn't just about teenage angst and self-discovery. It was about people, all different types of people, living strange and imperfect lives.

That is what made it so beautiful...in my humble opinion.

;-)

Maybe next time you watch the shows, you can try looking at them in that way. It will open you up to an entire new level of realism as you watch.

"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."

Gigantic
Frozen Embryo

Patty & Graham

Post by Gigantic » May 11th 2001, 9:58 pm

Actually, I heard that the scenes between Patty and Graham made a lot of people uncomfortable when they first-aired. Like the deep kissing/lovemaking scenes were supposedly just too much for people at 8pm. I guess that might’ve contributed to MSCL’s demise a teency bit… I don’t know. They looked like a pretty healthy, physical couple to me, not like nymphos or hornballs or anything… ;)

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Patty & Graham

Post by mglenn » May 14th 2001, 8:03 am

I read a quote one time that seems fitting here, to paraphrase:

"We have a very solid relationship, based on friendship, understanding, and unbrideled lust of the most depraved sort!"

When I meet the right girl I think thats exactly the kinda relationship I want to have! :-)

Mike Glenn
Project Manager for MSCL.COM

Re: skipping mscl scenes?

Post by Guest » Jun 23rd 2001, 3:04 am

Nope, I watch them all.......I think they are all important parts of character building and the unwritten interwoven relationships surrounding Angela's life. MSCL is a synergy - the whole is greater than the sum of its parts (wow - what a Krakow thing to think!) That said I don't really think you could take any of the characeters, that we have all come to know and love, away from the series.... it just wouldn't be the same!

Joanna
barnstable79@hotmail.com