Discussion for Episode 13: Pressure

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Emeralduk
Liberty High Student

Post by Emeralduk » Aug 23rd 2003, 11:16 am

A thought I had:
Why would Angela wear dungarees on the night she was going to have sex with Jordan? Wouldn’t she wear more loose, free flowing clothes, which would be easier to remove? This shows that maybe she never actually intended on sleeping with Jordan that night. Or maybe it's a sign for Jordan to pick up that she didn’t want to sleep with him. :Fade-color

*~Emerald~*
"Hello, you've reached the winter of our discontent."

Post by Guest » Aug 24th 2003, 12:09 pm

Emeralduk wrote:A thought I had:
Why would Angela wear dungarees on the night she was going to have sex with Jordan? Wouldn’t she wear more loose, free flowing clothes, which would be easier to remove? This shows that maybe she never actually intended on sleeping with Jordan that night. Or maybe it's a sign for Jordan to pick up that she didn’t want to sleep with him. :Fade-color

*~Emerald~*
I agree.She never intended to have sex with him that night and I also thought about her clothes.If she intented to have sex with him,she would dress up,put some make up on,stuff like that.But I think she knew that she will not be able to go through with it from the start.I just can't believe that Jordan didn't see her discomfort,her fear( I mean,you can see she is terrified).He was so insensitive,he just completely ignored her.He's such a sleeze ,he should get back with that Cynthia person.

Speaking of Cynthia,in that scene in the stall,after Rickie gave his romantic speech about sex,why does she says "it's exactly what's that like?"What ?Does that mean that she and Jordan had incredible in love sex in his Plymouth?Or whatever?

Emeralduk
Liberty High Student

Post by Emeralduk » Aug 24th 2003, 4:41 pm

I think a lot of people would think that it was to be implied that Cynthia's first time was with Jordan, but maybe it was with someone else - we'll never know! :Fade-color

*~Emerald~*
"Hello, you've reached the winter of our discontent."

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 22nd 2003, 10:46 pm

I love this episode!!! I love the car scene in the beginning when Angela is driving and then the ending scene when she has her VO but I think the funniest part was when Jordan comes over and sits in the kitchen and brad is like so do you have a major and hallie is like you would probally know if you did and then Jordan says I think I would have gotten a letter or something and then when Angela calls Graham the is like what does meeting a person prove... LOL!!! and also when they are having dinner in the beginning before the flu shot and Graham and Patty are talking about meeting Jordan and she says he has a car and a car has doors and Graham is like ooh god and then danielle says when you say other stuff you cant mention do you mean forplay and Graham starts to cough... I just love this episode!!!
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

Post by Guest » Jan 10th 2004, 4:03 pm

Speaking of Cynthia,in that scene in the stall,after Rickie gave his romantic speech about sex,why does she says "it's exactly what's that like?"What ?Does that mean that she and Jordan had incredible in love sex in his Plymouth?Or whatever?
'cause she's a really sleezy person who doesn't even understand the meaning of Rickie's extremely beautiful and poetic words, Rickie is such a beautiful person, it hurt's to look at him, is there still such kindness in the world, oh no it's just a show

Sophia CH4
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Sophia CH4 » Jan 10th 2004, 4:13 pm

Tomspeed wrote;
I think he might have done something like that with other girls he has dated
jordan catalano does not date girls, as like policy, it a another word with D, but definitily not "date"

Tomspeed wrote;
Jordan's "just...entering" comment always makes me cringe. You can't miss the sexual undertone. Angela is a virgin. The hymen is broken. A woman's body is entered. It's this conversation that makes me think Jordan isn't a stupid as he seems. His comments and body language are very manipulative. However, a true caring about Angela seems lacking

yeah, but seein' how angela is a virgin, i think it would be smarter for jordan to concur with angela's more accurate state ment " breaking and entering"

[/quote]
So understand
Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years,
Face up...make your stand,
And realise you're living in the golden years.

Sophia CH4
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Sophia CH4 » Jan 10th 2004, 4:18 pm

o.k

my opinion about angela and jordan having( or not having) sex

at a risk of being crude, i think that as soon as she puts out for him, he'd dump her, i admit he has feelings for her, but i think his feelings woud all wash out after getting what all guys want
So understand

Sophia CH4
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Sophia CH4 » Jan 10th 2004, 4:19 pm

Anonymous wrote:
'cause she's a really sleezy person who doesn't even understand the meaning of Rickie's extremely beautiful and poetic words, Rickie is such a beautiful person, it hurt's to look at him, is there still such kindness in the world, oh no it's just a show
that was also me
So understand

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 10th 2004, 5:59 pm

Yes, "dating" might be too formal a word to use for most high schoolers, esp. Jordan. "Hooking-up" might be a better way to describe romantic/sexual relations among members of this age group. I don't see Jordan taking many girls to dinner and a movie. Brian, on the other hand, probably would be more likely to engage in formal dating. I dated sporadically in high school. I hooked-up in college.

I'm not so sure that Jordan would have immediately dumped Angela if they slept together. Yes, sometimes people drop things/people when their goals are met -- once you've climbed Everest, why go back? But he might have some deeper feelings for Angela. He just might not know how to express them.

I usually thought sex equaled love when I was in high school and college. I still deal with these feelings today. Jordan might be dealing with this issue as well.

Of course, we can wonder whether anyone in high school can truly be in love. I think true love at that age is rare. But it's possible.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 10th 2004, 6:03 pm

Emeralduk wrote:A thought I had:

*~Emerald~*
Wearing the wrong clothes also shows Angela's inexperience. Has she ever made plans before to lose her virginity? We might call this a rookie mistake.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

Sophia CH4
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Sophia CH4 » Jan 11th 2004, 2:45 pm

tomspeed wrote;
I usually thought sex equaled love when I was in high school and college. I still deal with these feelings today. Jordan might be dealing with this issue as well.

so, when he was "hooking-up" with sleezy cynthia he thought he was in love? can you please elaborate that thought some more, 'cause i'm kinda slow.
Of course, we can wonder whether anyone in high school can truly be in love. I think true love at that age is rare. But it's possible.[/quote

when you say it's possible, is it because you think jordan might be truly in love ( becuse he's the matter at hand) or you're just speaking in general?
So understand

Clockwork orange
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Clockwork orange » Jan 11th 2004, 4:48 pm

Sophia CH4 wrote:o.k

my opinion about angela and jordan having( or not having) sex

at a risk of being crude, i think that as soon as she puts out for him, he'd dump her, i admit he has feelings for her, but i think his feelings woud all wash out after getting what all guys want
I dunno, I think you're wrong on this one, because first off I think Angela wouldn't do it with him until she's completely sure she loves him and he loves her back, so either way I think she would make the right decision, and secondly I don't think Jordan would really hurt her like that, because he really cares about her and if you have sex with someone you love that can only deepen the relationship.

Tomspeed wrote;
But he might have some deeper feelings for Angela. He just might not know how to express them.

I agree with you that altough Jordan truly cares for her, he may not be able to express it fully.

About equalizing sex with love and being young and that stuff- I'm a huge "Six feet Under" fan and I found this very related to what we're talking about;
Claire: Because. you know, like, people are having like end-of-the-world sex and just I didn't bring any condoms and...

Toby: Like I would even anyway.

Claire: Yeah, right.

Toby: No, no, I'm--I mean, you're quite the fox, I'm happy to report, but like I would never just hook up with someone I just met, like ever.

Claire: Seriously?

Toby: Seriously.

Claire: I get it. You're just trrying to let me get my guard down and then all of a sudden we're like hooking up.

Toby: Wrong. I'm 19, okay, Claire? I've had the major life experience to know it just kind of sucks to enter the body of another human being you're not in love with.
"What we do in life,echoes in eternity."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 12th 2004, 10:04 am

Sophia CH4 wrote:tomspeed wrote;

so, when he was "hooking-up" with sleezy cynthia he thought he was in love? can you please elaborate that thought some more, 'cause i'm kinda slow.
Of course, we can wonder whether anyone in high school can truly be in love. I think true love at that age is rare. But it's possible.[/quote

when you say it's possible, is it because you think jordan might be truly in love ( becuse he's the matter at hand) or you're just speaking in general?
High school students generally see no distinction between sex and love. They mean the same thing. Or, to put it another way, there is no such thing as love. The important word here is, of course, generally. Also, it's possible that Jordan could love or grows to love Angela, even though true love among members of this age group is rare.
TomSpeed

BriansAngst
Liberty High Student

Post by BriansAngst » Nov 19th 2004, 1:20 am

Just curious, but I didn't read anyone's comment at the end of the episode when Angela was parallelling the freedom/responsibility of driving with that of sex...

Jordan responds:

"Don't take your turns too wide or anything... I'm sure you won't."
Rickie: Oh, so they're back together, huh?
Brian : Yep. Of course, she's still gonna die someday! We're all gonna die!

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Nov 19th 2004, 7:41 pm

I didn't think his comment was specifically pertaining to sex.
Don't take your turns too wide or anything... I'm sure you won't.
I saw this as saying don't pick creeps that only want sex from you- don't take too wild of turns.

I don't know, maybe it is just about sex.
Moltar- Well hey, Thom asked me if he could see my knife, and Thom's doing a song about knife, and he wanted to see what one looked like. Isn't that right Thom? (Pulls out knife again)
Space Goast- (Turns to Thom Yorke) Is that right?
Thom- ...No.
Space Goast- Cuz it sounds like a good idea... so do it.

-Space Goast With Thom Yorke