The End

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 9th 2003, 4:07 pm

When MTV debuted in 1981, Martha Quinn was one of the five original veejays. The other four were: Nina Blackwood, Mark Goodman, J.J. Jackson, and Alan Hunter.

A brief interview with Martha Quinn can be found here.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

meggrrrl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by meggrrrl » Apr 9th 2003, 6:34 pm

"Yea...I remembered those shows after I posted. Some of those shows were good. They did play a lot more videos ten years ago with the video blocks. Now, there are no video blocks. If you want to watch videos, you watch MTV2."

Actually, MTV does air blocks of videos in the morning. I always wondered how TRL could exist - how could the kids be requesting videos they've never seen? But lo and behold, there are whole chunks of time in the wee hours of the morning where MTV still truly is MTV.

However, have any of you seen the commercial for MTV2 with the tag line that goes something like "MTV2 - now stop asking where all the music videos are." Like, excuuuuuuuse me for expecting MTV to run videos! I think VH1 has an older (30-something) audience and MTV has a teenybopper audience, and those of us who grew up with MTV and have mostly grown out of it are the target audience for MTV2 - how annoying we are, always griping about what MTV used to be. :roll:

Meg

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Apr 9th 2003, 9:13 pm

I think this show was aired before its time. This show was so revolutionary and controversial that I guess the ABC execs were kinda afraid of airing it in the first place.
They managed to pull the same bone-headed move a couple years later with "Relativity".

Same production company, similar critical success, a growing fan base, multiple time slots. They canned it.

Me and Jamie Tarses, the [sarcasm]brilliant exec[/sarcasm] who cancelled the show, in a locked room would be ugly, I tell you. The things I'd say... :evil:
Matha Quinn
Ah, my old early teenage tv crush.

Martha could do no wrong... lol!

Gary

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 9th 2003, 9:28 pm

GaryEA wrote:
I think this show was aired before its time. This show was so revolutionary and controversial that I guess the ABC execs were kinda afraid of airing it in the first place.
They managed to pull the same bone-headed move a couple years later with "Relativity".

Same production company, similar critical success, a growing fan base, multiple time slots.

Me and Jamie Tarses, the brilliant exec who cancelled the show, in a locked room would be an ugly scenes, I tell you. The things I'd say... :evil:
Matha Quinn
Ah, my old early teenage tv crush.

Martha could do no wrong... lol!

Gary
Great picture :!: I had the biggest crush on Martha Quinn. That's why I felt so bad that I couldn't remember her name in my old age. I woke up this morning and slapped myself in the head. I didn't watch MTV just for the videos. From 81 to 86, she was the constant woman in my life.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Apr 9th 2003, 9:31 pm

From 81 to 86, she was the constant woman in my life.
You jerk! You took her from me!!!!

:wink:

Gary

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 10th 2003, 12:57 pm

Back on topic...

I think this is what I heard at the time concerning MTV bringing back MSCL. You can find a brief story on this site here. Obviously, this project never materialized.
TomSpeed

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Apr 10th 2003, 5:15 pm

I, for one, am glad they didn't make a wrap-up movie. I don't think a two hour show to wrap up loose ends would do it justice. The show is so deep and has so many layers to it I don't think it could concluded in a two hour special. I also have a problem with all the characters being happy at the same time as I assume a conclusion would have tried to do. It doesn't seem very mscl-ish, and real life doesn't work that way either. I just wish I knew what the writers had had in mind for episode 20.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Apr 14th 2003, 5:33 pm

Candygirl makes a good point about MTV running less videos and more original shows. I remember watching Remote Control (a favorite of mine) in college in 1988. That's a long time ago. What ever happened to that show? Wasn't there some kind of scandal with Ken Ober and the rest of the cast? I also remember when Real World hit the network. That seems like forever-ago. Liquid Television and Beavis and Butthead weren't far behind. I too grew up with those VJ's. I also remember the crew that came right after them as I was in college. In my old age I can't remember their names. AARGH! The tall guy w/ the hair was Adam somebody. (Duritz was it?) The bozo who was always racing go-karts or doing dumb stunts like that. Daisy Fuentes was on there and the chick with the long hair. I enjoyed that special "I was an MTV VJ" a while ago. Then post college it was a new crop it seemed. Steve Vies???was it? Ricky Rathman? Does anyone remember the VJ's on VH1 way back when? Like the latter 80's? Bobby Rivers is the only one I can name but I do remember when they had them on VH1. MTV has been a big part of my life. Well at least since the early 80's. OK....I'm done. Thanks for any help you all can throw out here.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 14th 2003, 9:17 pm

Adam Curry (Duritz is the guy in Counting Crows) is the VJ with the big hair metal looking do - he created mtv.com in 1993 (interesting article about it here.

Remember all the people who used to be on Remote Control? Colin Quinn, Adam Sandler, Kari Wuhrer, Denis Leary, Alicia Coppola, Ken Ober.

And Sand Blast, which I always thought of as the older version of Double Dare :D

I don't remember any of the old VH-1 VJs though. Actually, I couldn't name any of the present ones either.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 14th 2003, 9:20 pm

The tall guy with the big hair was Adam Curry, I think. I'm not too good with names either. I'm not sure when I stopped watching MTV. It was probably sometime in the early 90s. I remember though that videos had become hard to find. I watched TRL a couple times. It showed mostly boy bands like NSynch, etc. Those bands just don't do it for me. I haven't had cable for the last couple of years, so I'm really out of touch with what's on MTV now. I only know what I read.
TomSpeed

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Apr 18th 2003, 4:07 pm

Thanks Candygirl. I can't believe I thought it was Adam Duritz. Sucks to get old as they say. I do remember Adam Sandler on Remote Control. He was Stickpin. He would come out with a bandanna on his head and tell jokes. He always used to kill me. Any time anybody knocks Adam Sandler, I always make reference to Stickpin. That character was way funny! :lol: Do you remember Laughing Boy on remote control? Another favorite.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Taricco
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Taricco » Apr 24th 2003, 10:17 am

Didn't ABC produce at least a few more episodes? I mean, a season normally has around 24 episodes. When they cancelled the show, didn't they have two or three more episodes already made? Or was it planned to cancel after 19 episodes?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 24th 2003, 10:22 am

Taricco wrote:Didn't ABC produce at least a few more episodes? I mean, a season normally has around 24 episodes. When they cancelled the show, didn't they have two or three more episodes already made? Or was it planned to cancel after 19 episodes?
My understanding is that it was a midseason replacement. ABC liked it, but it was always in ratings trouble. There was some doubt that 19 episodes would be completed. Winnie was asked to write more episodes. However, no more episodes were filmed. The show was canceled between seasons.
TomSpeed

Taricco
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Taricco » Apr 24th 2003, 10:58 am

but winnie didn't write more episdoes right? Didn't he even gave a hint on what would be next? Didn't he had ideas on how to continue the episodes?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 24th 2003, 11:34 am

Taricco wrote:but winnie didn't write more episdoes right? Didn't he even gave a hint on what would be next? Didn't he had ideas on how to continue the episodes?
We can only speculate about what happens next. I'm not aware of any completed future episodes. The Fan Fiction section of MSCL might help satisfy your craving and curiosity.
TomSpeed