Discussion for Episode 12: Self Esteem

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.

Post by Guest » Aug 24th 2003, 12:35 pm

[quote="Emeralduk"]This will be my last post on an episode for today, to space apart my many new thoughts. :Fade-color

Jordan doesn’t want Angela colliding with his other life (his musical life?). They are two separate things and he doesn’t want people to know about her. He doesn't want people knowing that he has a sensitive side, that is not all about being tough and cool around his friends - that he does in fact, have emotions, even if he doesn’t always show them to Angela herself.

Jordan doesn't want his friends to know about her cos' they think she's wierd(probably because she's god in school,doesn't make trouble,she doesn't belong in their social circle which involves drinking,drugging,scre-
wing).If he was making out with Rayanne,there wouldn't be a problem because she's the type of girl who"he can just do it with and bragg to his budds".But a girl like Angela,girl with substance and emotional depth,she's just wierd and inappropriate to be seen with.Because in highschool you always have to stick to your own kind.God forbid,you socialize and get close to someone who's a bit different than you.

Oh and I don't think his musical life has anything to do with.It's just the fact that he mostly hangs out with losers and he is to embarassed and to scared to jump out of his "too cool to care" mode,IMHO.

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 22nd 2003, 10:52 pm

Well it is so obvious that the final scene is everyones favorite scene and it is mine to... I think the scene is just so cute when he looks over at her and has to take a deep breath before he goes over... and then grabs her hand... :cry:

when katempski says to rickie nobody should hate who they are I think that was such a perfect fit not only for rickie but just for everbody in general... Jordan should not hate that he like Angela... Angela should not hate herself because of Jordan being a jerk... Abby should not hate herself for doing well in class... Rickie should not hate his name or who he is... the sentiment of this episode is really special!!! and who is shane calling weird!!! he is so wrapped up in Jordans life that he needs one of his own and he should really stop wearing a trench coat...
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

Post by Guest » Oct 24th 2003, 3:05 pm

Hunee wrote;
And who is shane calling weird!!! he is so wrapped up in Jordans life that he needs one of his own and he should really stop wearing a trench coat...
I hear ya.I hate that guy.

Gilly
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Gilly » Apr 1st 2005, 3:59 am

Megs wrote:
TomSpeed wrote:
What does Jordan tap into his mouth (right before Shane talks to him about Buffalo Tom)? At first I thought they were breath mints, but he made such a terrible face - the kind little kids make when they are forced to take medicine - that it made me wonder.
It looks like breath spray or drops, like Binaca. You must have fresh and clean breath for the boiler room. The spray is concentrated and has a strong taste, but it is powerful. It is also quicker acting than mints. Jordan, who is man about town, probably doesn't leave home without it.
I agree. I always thought that it was Binaca.
even though this discussion is super old I had to say that they are called Icy Drops and they are a liquid (like Binaca) that you drop into your mouth and it freshens your breath. That scene always makes me laugh; when I was in junior high we used to use Icy Drops to freshen our breath before making out.

svenkid
Nicky Driscoll

Post by svenkid » Sep 17th 2006, 4:27 pm

great episode.
One thing I didnt see mentioned was the whole holding hands thing.

we learn that it was a thing for sharon and kyle, rayanne is perplexed by it's meaning and buffalo tom sings about it in their first song and of course the last scene where angela and jordan holdhands and walk away.
the episode so-called angels, does it to me every time!

kam_mui
Frozen Embryo

Post by kam_mui » Oct 30th 2006, 12:42 am

Hi everyone, i'm a new comer here. :)

I watched this episode yesterday (recorded that when i was first boardcast in Hong Kong), i still love it a whole lot after all these years!!! I like the whole episode, especially the last part in the hallway... it was just soooo touching!

btw, why everyone hates shane? i found him quite cute, dont know why. :-P

estherlo
Tino

Post by estherlo » Oct 30th 2006, 8:10 am

hi, kam_mui

I guess you saw it from TVB Pearl, right? So did I. And this episode is one of my favorite, though I don't care much about Shane. But every charater seems so cute in it.

kam_mui
Frozen Embryo

Post by kam_mui » Oct 30th 2006, 9:13 pm

estherlo wrote:hi, kam_mui

I guess you saw it from TVB Pearl, right? So did I. And this episode is one of my favorite, though I don't care much about Shane. But every charater seems so cute in it.
yes yes ... TVB Pearl!!! sooo long ago... :)
not many HKer ever noticed about this drama... please feel free to add my msn so that we can chat more. :P

estherlo
Tino

Post by estherlo » Nov 4th 2006, 10:16 am

kam_mui: Actually I'm from mainland and sorry, i don't use msn much :lol: It's true that few people in our country have noticed this show and i found nobody to talk on the subject - what a shame! Do come here a lot and share your opinions with friends here. You'll find they are all very kind. And, if you happen to be a qq user, you can search my ID 179887782. I'll love to have you as my friend. :-P

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: Discussion for Episode 12: Self Esteem

Post by Jody Barsch* » Sep 11th 2019, 1:20 am

So, this week is the start of the fall quarter of parks & rec adult school classes in my town. I couldn't not think of MSCL when a half-hour into our two-hour class it became 'nightmarishly clear' that our teacher wasn't going to show. I didn't have a flip phone or Stephen Deiter's phone number, but I think I and my classmates did Ms. Hallie Lowenthal proud. (Jury's still out on whether this will be 'the stupidest week of my life'. (God, I truly love the writing and performances of this show. Patty, Graham, and Hallie were written and performed to perfection.))
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Kbranagh
Overlooked Sibling

Re: Discussion for Episode 12: Self Esteem

Post by Kbranagh » Sep 3rd 2020, 7:39 am

The relationship between Angela and Jordan has never follow a logical and conventional evolution and maybe that is reason for most of his charme but this time around the writers(in this case Winne Holzman) doesn't show so much respect for the audience!! After all the problems and all the issues yet to resolve they put togheter after only 30 seconds Angela and Jordan in the boiler room with several erotic kiss! It's fell all to rushed like also the break-up between Sharon and Kyle out of nowhere off-screen!
I like this episode, it was pretty intense and eventfull but that couple of things at beginning really bother me. The writers wants to all cost start the relationship between Angela and Jordan, now we see how long they last! In my opinion however the best episode between this couple remain "Why Jordan Can't Read" .......a near perfection episode.

- No comment for all the scenes between Brian and Angela...i get it, they wanna make me suffer until the end :roll:
- Amazing all the subplot with Graham and the cooking class, i love more and more his character and i wonder if they wanna bring back the infedelity things again....
- Finally they put Sharon with the gang, one step at the time.
- I enjoyed the subplot between Rickie and the new teacher, i think that the writers miss Vic Racine.

Grade: B
"Or something'