Anniversary

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Anniversary

Post by angelika » Aug 19th 1999, 2:10 am

Wow! I'm sure many of you have already seen it, but for those of you who haven't, please check out http://pages.nyu.edu/~eqt3954/mscl/scripts/ This website rules! It's called "Drew's Script-o-rama" and it contains scripts from all the episodes of MSCL. Some of them even have sound files and video files that you can download. So for those of you who haven't seen all the episodes, or for those of you who are having severe withdrawal (like I am!!), visit this site!

Another thing of interest: Next Wednesday, August 25th, marks the 5th anniversary of MSCL's first airing. Has it really been that long ago? :-(

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Anniversary

Post by BeeJay » Aug 19th 1999, 3:34 pm

You're right, it is a cool site. Another site that's good is http://www.specialweb.com/tv/shows.html. This site lists old and new tv shows, by name, and has links to all the listed pages on the web.

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Aug 20th 1999, 3:46 am

Wow. I'm in the process of reading all of these scripts. So I went to http://www.clairedanes.com and downloaded a video of the corresponding scene in "Why Jordan Can't Read" in which Angela and her parents wait to meet Jordan. (Except Jordan never shows) Anyway, the part where she goes up to her room, Jordan is humming "Red" in the background, and she curls up on the floor and cries?? It made ME cry. How beautifully written, directed, and acted. What a great scene!!! (What are your favorite scenes, everyone???)

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Aug 20th 1999, 12:52 pm

Well, the scene you describe is certainly a powerful one. Her parents probably handle the situation the best they could, but Angela, on the other hand feels crushed. The pain she feels can be seen on her face, as well as in her actions.

One of my favorite scenes is in the episode "Self Esteem". Actually, there are two scenes I really like:

The first one is when Jordan is in class (Mr. Patimski's English Lit.) and Mr. Patimski is reading the poem about the appearance of the author's girl-friend or wife, or whatever. I like the part where the camera zoomes in on Jordan as he begins to relate the poem to his feelings about Angela, and he realizes that he does really care for her in a way that up until now, he was unaware of. The poem, along with Brian's input, makes him see things a little differently. So, as a result of this realization, he decides that keeping her a "secret" is not the right thing to do, and that if he continues to do that, he will lose her.

That leads up to the ending scene where everyone is in the hallway. Jordan approaches Angela, asks if they could go somewhere, presumable to talk, and as Buffalo Tom plays in the background, Jordan and Angela walk down the hall, this time he takes hold of her hand, proclaiming to all present, that this is his girl. The look on Angela's face, the great big smile...WOW !!

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Aug 22nd 1999, 11:24 pm

You are exactly right! I have goosebumps all over after reading your post--what an awesome episode!

angelika
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by angelika » Aug 22nd 1999, 11:59 pm

Okay, after reading Strangers in the House, I realized another REALLY great scene from My so-called Life. It's where Angela and Sharon are little and Angela is jealous of Sharon because she got her tonsils out. Sharon says it hurts, so Angela says "Squeeze my hand." "Why?" "Because I want to know how much it hurts." Years later, present-day MSCL, Sharon tells Angela, in a heart-breaking scene, that it hurt her when Angela didn't show any compassion to her while her father was in the hospital. Angela extends her hand and says, "How much does it hurt?" WOW. Powerful.

Top 10

Post by Guest » Aug 23rd 1999, 1:17 pm

1. MUST BE: The final scene of "In Dreams Begin Responsibilities"…Brian left alone while Angela drives off with Brian.
2. Angela coming home from Let's Bolt in the Pilot Episode…"Everybody Hurts".
3. Rayanne playing Emily in "Betrayal".
4. Angela's dance in the first scene of "Betrayal"…"Blister In The Sun"
5. The slow song at the World Happiness Dance in "Life Of Brian"…"Try".
6. Angela crying on the floor after being stood up by Jordan in "Why Jordan Can't Read"…while Jordan is in the loft singing "Red".
7. Patty meets Jordan in "In Dreams Begin Responsibilities"
8. Angela and Jordan walking off hand in hand in "Self Esteem"…"Late At Night".
9. Rayanne giving out invitations to her party in "Other People's Daughters"…"Fall Down".
10. Angela and Rayanne running off in the first scene of The Pilot Episode.

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Top 10

Post by BeeJay » Aug 23rd 1999, 3:16 pm

Wow! Nice job. Awesome list! You picked some good one's. I like all of those myself.

Post by Guest » Aug 29th 1999, 6:23 pm

And I had to leave quite a few out...how about Patty talking to the dead girl in "So-called Angels"?
Jordan lighting a candle for Rickie on Christmas Eve, same episode?
Everybody's "Resolutions" on New Year's Eve?
All the students sitting on the floor, writing poems in candle light in "The Substitute"?
Brian and Delia outside Big Guy Burger in "Life Of Brian"?

BeeJay
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by BeeJay » Aug 29th 1999, 7:11 pm

Yeah! Now that you mention it, there are quite a few great scenes.