Discussion for Episode 9: Halloween

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 20th 2003, 11:00 pm

Anyone else planning on watching this episode soon in honor of the holiday? Heck, I might even dress up like Angela just like Danielle.

HMMM...Upon further review...
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Oct 20th 2003, 11:14 pm

TomSpeed wrote:Anyone else planning on watching this episode soon in honor of the holiday? Heck, I might even dress up like Angela just like Danielle.

HMMM...Upon further review...
I'll be making a point of watching it again soon. In recent years I've seriously considered dressing up as a MSCL character but unfortunately the characters aren't that recognizable and it's not much fun when you have to tell everyone what you are dressed up as (just ask Sharon).

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 21st 2003, 9:28 am

I'm a cat. Really.

Sharon looks so hot in that costume. Maybe it's the whiskers. :twisted:
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 22nd 2003, 9:30 pm

Is it just me or was it kind of obvious that Jordan and Nickys character were suppose to be the same? also wasnt nicky hot? I thought he was!!!
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 23rd 2003, 2:44 am

No, you aren't the only one who sees the connection between Jordan and Nicky. The most obvious example of the writer pointing this out to the audience is when Angela asks Ricky about "Nicky Catalano." Several forum members have commented on the similarities as well as the differences between Jordan and Nicky earlier in this thread. You can also find analysis of it in Angela's World.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Jan 22nd 2005, 11:55 pm

candygirl wrote:Connie says Nicky is a loser, and Nicky tells Angela that "I'm not in her league." Does Angela believe that Jordan is a loser and that she is out of his league, even subconsciously?
I think, in a way, Nicky relates to Angela, as well as Jordan. Angela, is almost constantly getting the indication from Jordan that she is in fact out of his league- and she is the one that is the loser (Not necessarily "loser", but not good enough). She is the one, like Nicky, that is being turned down.
One thing I absolutely HATE about this episode is the "special effects" when we see the door slam repeatedly. Ugh. Just had to get that out of my system.
Yeah, the whole slow motion running, different views thing wasn't really cutting it for me.

Different subject- I love the scene where Brian and Rayanne wake up together- and George! One of my favorite non-speaking characters. I wish I had a George at my school... I could get away with sooo much! :twisted:
Angela (VO) : When someone dies young, it's like they stay that way forever, like a vampire.
Rayanne was a Vampire for Halloween.... hmmm, is that foreshadowing something? Not necessary death, but something.... I just thought it was odd.

Also, does anybody notice the hand Jordan has tucked in his shirt? At first, I didn't see it... and when I did, I freaked out! I don't know why, it just got to me... it is easy to miss. He takes it out while talking to Rickie... but what was its propose? :?

** Sorry for repeats, if subjects have already been mentioned
Moltar- Well hey, Thom asked me if he could see my knife, and Thom's doing a song about knife, and he wanted to see what one looked like. Isn't that right Thom? (Pulls out knife again)
Space Goast- (Turns to Thom Yorke) Is that right?
Thom- ...No.
Space Goast- Cuz it sounds like a good idea... so do it.

-Space Goast With Thom Yorke

svenkid
Nicky Driscoll

Post by svenkid » Sep 14th 2006, 12:16 am

I definately liked the part when rickie and jordan were talking under the bleachers. I think they have a small friendship as well.

As can be seen in the earlier episode, where they are talking about how jordan skipped out on meeting angela's parents that one night.
the episode so-called angels, does it to me every time!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Discussion for Episode 9: Halloween

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 31st 2007, 9:40 pm

Happy Halloween!

On last night's episode of Nip/Tuck, a client came in with scars on his chest (inflicted by his dominatrix). He said that he was a powerful Hollywood executive and that he liked relinquishing power to his dominatrix to relax. It made me think of Patty and Graham's role reversals on Halloween - Patty became the helpless damsel while Graham became the strong man!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Hollywood
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Hollywood » Oct 30th 2010, 10:17 pm

Just finished watching this for obvioius reasons.

Happy Halloween MSCLifers!

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Oct 30th 2010, 11:03 pm

You, too, Hollywood!

slimeball
Tino

Post by slimeball » Oct 30th 2010, 11:11 pm

Hollywood wrote:Just finished watching this for obvioius reasons.

Happy Halloween MSCLifers!
Ha, me too...

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re:

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 15th 2011, 9:33 am

grim4746 wrote:In recent years I've seriously considered dressing up as a MSCL character but unfortunately the characters aren't that recognizable and it's not much fun when you have to tell everyone what you are dressed up as (just ask Sharon).
Not according to Christian Lander of Stuff White People Like :mrgreen:
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/10 ... halloween/
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2010/11 ... lled-life/
I know, this pot is a million years years old, and it's July, not October, but it's 6:40 am and I have yet to fall asleep.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Re: Re:

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 15th 2011, 9:38 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:I know, this pot is a million years years old, and it's July, not October, but it's 6:40 am and I have yet to fall asleep.
:shock: That's supposed to say "poSt"
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Superjesus
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Superjesus » Jul 16th 2011, 10:25 am

A few years back, I had a last-minute invite to a Halloween party and I had also agreed to take my baby sister and her mates trick-or-treating but I had forgotten my costume, so I decided to just be me and say I was Eddie Vedder.

I got mistaken by my friend's mum for Jordan Catalano - she was really surprised until I pointed out I didn't know who she was talking about. (This was before I had ever heard of MSCL).

Superjesus
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Superjesus » Jul 31st 2011, 6:28 am

And I just watched Halloween again with my sis, and she's decided to take a leaf out of Danielle's book and be me this Halloween.

"But Danielle was just being her big sister. You'd have to be yr older sibling and be a boy."
"So? For you, all I need to do is take that stupid Kings jersey you wear all the time and wear it with my own jeans, one of yr hats and wear it backwards, slouch everywhere, drop an F-bomb every second word and constantly talk about how great I am."

I'm disturbed how well she gets me.