The Umm Factor

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
TongaLH

The Umm Factor

Post by TongaLH » Feb 7th 2003, 12:56 pm

So, I am new to this forum and this has probably already been discussed, but...

I just finished watching my DVDs of the MSCL season and was pondering if the series had gone on, do you think Angela and Jordan would have eventually Ummed?

Part of me thinks yes and part of me thinks that once they got in Jordan's car that Angela was going to drop the bomb that she knew he didn't write the letter and have a major discussion about Jordan's intentions.

What do you all think? I am truly curious.

Thanks

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 7th 2003, 1:11 pm

I think that Angela was light years away from "umming" anyone. Angela was a dreamer, so she has built up sex into this ideal thing, with an ideal setting... I don't think at the point that the show ended, that Angela was ready to give up her romantic dream of sex. And Jordan was nowhere near to what he needed to be to give her that dream.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 7th 2003, 1:36 pm

For teenagers, one year seems like a very long time. One year can also bring maturity. I agree that Angela isn't mentally and emotionally ready to UMMM anybody when the last episode ends. She has so many expectations. However, over the approx. school year of the series, we see her mature so much. It's debatable if any high school students are ready to UMMM.

Personally, I think Angela still wants conversation and sex at the end of the series like she does at the beginning. She's probably not going to find both things with Jordan. She also will find that out pretty quickly. I'd like to believe that she gravitates back to Brian. However, she could decide to throw caution to the wind and indulge with Jordan. Maybe by her senior year Angela will be in the right place and time to UMMM.

Of course, Jordan might not even still be in school when Angela is ready to UMMM. If he doesn't continue going to school, he will definitely lose touch with Angela.

Who knows what will happen? It sure is great to speculate though.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 7th 2003, 2:48 pm

I don't think that Angela is physically or emotionally ready to have sex with Jordan or anyone else. Some of this was discussed in Angela and sex
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

FlaredJeanRomeo

Post by FlaredJeanRomeo » Feb 8th 2003, 5:58 pm

She may have "Ummed" with Jordan but she might have her mind on Brian all the while :lol:

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Feb 10th 2003, 11:15 am

She may have "Ummed" with Jordan but she might have her mind on Brian all the while
I hope I'm not the only one who is very disturbed reading this comment. :?

But I have to agree with Megs that Angela isn't emotionally ready for sex. She has built it up to something that it almost can't be. And I believe I can speak for the general consensus when I say that they first time is usually embarrassing and confusing and the risk of personal injury rises exponentially during the endeavor! :oops:
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 10th 2003, 1:03 pm

You know, the more I think about it, I tend to think Angela doesn't have sex in high school. Whomever she has sex with will be someone whom she wants to be with and appreciates her for who she is and what she has to offer. It's unlikely that she will make love to someone and think of another person. Her upbringing and her developing self-worth would keep her from giving herself easily without passion, respect, and the conversation part of the equation. The fact that she knows that Jordan did not write the letter -- Brian did -- matters.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 10th 2003, 1:22 pm

TomSpeed wrote:You know, the more I think about it, I tend to think Angela doesn't have sex in high school. Whomever she has sex with will be someone whom she wants to be with and appreciates her for who she is and what she has to offer. It's unlikely that she will make love to someone and think of another person. Her upbringing and her developing self-worth would keep her from giving herself easily without passion, respect, and the conversation part of the equation. The fact that she knows that Jordan did not write the letter -- Brian did -- matters.
Agreed. I don't believe Angela is anywhere near ready to having sex. In college, I could see it, but definitely not in high school.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 10th 2003, 1:33 pm

mglenn wrote:But I have to agree with Megs that Angela isn't emotionally ready for sex. She has built it up to something that it almost can't be. And I believe I can speak for the general consensus when I say that they first time is usually embarrassing and confusing and the risk of personal injury rises exponentially during the endeavor! :oops:
Although, Angela has idealized notions about sex, her first time, and subsequent times, will have meaning. Heck, I'm a guy. My first lover was a girl I grew up with. I knew her kind of well, and we had walked to school together on and off for a number of years. We didn't hook up until after high school graduation, and I had spent some years away in college. Even though we knew each other, we were not in love. The sex definitely lacked passion. As a man, I appreciated the fact that I had passed a type of milestone. However, other than having the satisfaction of doing the deed and temporary physical pleasure, the experience was disappointing. I hope Angela has a better experience. I can't imagine her getting drunk at a high school or college kegger and surrendering herself to someone. Sex or conversation, preferably both, are her goals. I can't argue with that.
TomSpeed

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 10th 2003, 1:36 pm

I agree with everyone. Angela won't have sex in high school. For one, she has enough self-respect to wait. For two, she has built it up in her head way too much, which makes you want to wait - for the right time and right person. Jordan won't be able to give her what she wants - take "Pressure" for example. He takes her to an abandoned house where there are a bunch of other people around, and they have to wait for a room. Very romantic and special. Yeah right. He can't create the romantic atmosphere that Angela wants.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 10th 2003, 2:36 pm

I think that if Angela were to find someone that she thought loved her (not just liked her or wanted to have sex with her), she would have sex with him. Although she has built sex up to be a huge deal (which it can be, especially the first time), she has values similar to Sharon's, meaning that it's okay if you're in love. I think that she briefly considered having sex with Jordan because she wanted to get it over with, but then she realized he didn't love her (or obsess about her) to the same extent that she felt for him.

I'm not saying that Kyle is an angel or anything, but he was quite convinving about his affection for Sharon (like the conversation they had when he took her shoe) which is probably what convinced her to have sex with him "like, constantly." The reason Sharon was so racked with guilt after New Year's is because she realized that she didn't feel as strongly about Kyle as he felt about her - an extension of her "it's okay to have sex if you love each other" values that Sharon has.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?