Angela's Smile

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
seedman

Angela's Smile

Post by seedman » Feb 6th 2003, 2:40 pm

I hope this topic hasn't been covered yet.

Claire Danes produces some of the most amazing smiles. There are countless ones through the course of the show that just warm my heart.

Any favourites out there?

The "we had a time" smile at the end of the pilot.

The smile (mixed with tears) at the end of The Zit at the fashion show.

The smile in the famous scene at the end of Self Esteem when Jordan takes her hand in the hallway.

The smile at the beginning of Betrayal when she talks about her and Jordan being over. Just before she starts that awesome dance I can so relate to.

There are many, many more and I am enjoying discovering them again as I work my way through the DVD's.

There have been so many times just seeing that smile has made my day.

Megs
Lifehead

Re: Angela's Smile

Post by Megs » Feb 6th 2003, 4:33 pm

seedman wrote:The smile in the famous scene at the end of Self Esteem when Jordan takes her hand in the hallway.
This smile, and the little dance she does after her and Jordan kiss in his car ("WJCR") have to be the most heartwarming moments for her character. For me. I can relate to both so much it scares me.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 6th 2003, 4:54 pm

Since I'm watching the episodes again once a week for the weekly discussions, I'm going to limit myself to the episodes we've discussed so far. My favorite "Angela's smile" happens in "Dancing in the Dark." Angela, while we hear the dance instructions to Patty and Graham given by the dance instructor, walks to Jordan's car. With some effort, she doesn't look down or lose her balance, she leans into the car window, and she remembers to smile. Her smile is so bright and inviting. It takes my breath away.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Lindsay
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Lindsay » Feb 6th 2003, 5:56 pm

I love that smile! Its very daring for her, I believe it shows alot of self esteem for her character. You know, at times I'm suprised Angela is so confident around Jordon, simply because she's so nervous and "obsessed"...and her overall character.... Do you know what I mean???

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 6th 2003, 6:31 pm

Angela is a little green. But, she sure is game. She's not afraid to take a chance. The gas and brake pedals are her friends. She doesn't go out of control. We join her journey in "Pilot" just in time to see her take the car of her growing up out of the driveway. Her smile in "Dancing in the Dark" is one of her early taps on the gas pedal. The smile tells me she's not terrified of going over a couple curbs. This "Angela's smile" gets me every time.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

seedman

Post by seedman » Feb 7th 2003, 12:04 pm

Tom,

Great choice and bang-on analysis of Angela's character.

What makes her action to take that walk and make that smile even more impressive is her revelation in the preceeding scene to Rickie and Rayanne about how frightened she is to actually make it happen and that she thinks she prefers the fantasy to the potential reality.

Great character moment topped off with a classic smile.

Megs,

If that smile and dance in Why Jordan Can't Read don't make you feel good you must have a heart of stone.

You can see her trying to hold back the smile but it is bursting forth. After all, she has just realized her dream of having a conversation and sex (well, kissing) with Jordon and it is likely the happiest moment of her life.

Beautiful!

Len

Bubba
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Bubba » Feb 8th 2003, 2:56 pm

Nothing to add but agreement that Claire/Angela's smile is indeed heart-breaking.

My girlfriend -- who's now a thousand miles away from me -- hides a very similar smile behind a usually shy exterior.

<sigh>
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. And above all things... Love.

FlaredJeanRomeo

Post by FlaredJeanRomeo » Feb 8th 2003, 5:55 pm

Claire has a beautiful mouth and smile. She has an almost calming feel to look at her and watch her smile :D