Discussion for Episode 1: the Pilot

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Grace
Tino

Post by Grace » Apr 4th 2003, 6:00 am

I know, I’m pretty late, but yesterday I found a reference to Anne of Green Gables. Likelife referred to Anne before, but yesterday I found another clear reference. In the fifth book of the series “Anne’s house of dreams” Anne says in chapter 26: "It's so beautiful that it hurts me" http://www.literature.org/authors/montg ... er-26.html It’s in the fourth last paragraph.
Does it mean that Angela read the Anne series?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 4th 2003, 11:14 am

People definitely pick up things from what they read. I've always considered Angela a closet intellectual (in terms of literature, not math) So, if she has read Anne of Green Gables, my interpretation of her character might hold some water. Then again, it might not. Thanks for the reference.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 4th 2003, 3:10 pm

Anne of Green Gables is similar to the Laura Ingalls Wilder genre in that most young girls go through that phase of reading the series. Even though I never read the whole Anne series, I did read the first few. Angela seems like she had a typical suburban childhood, so I would not be surprised if she and Sharon had read those books as kids. The fact that one line stuck in her head is not surprising either - it's similar to remembering a line in a movie or a song.

Great eagle eyes there Grace!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

loveme
Nicky Driscoll

Post by loveme » Apr 19th 2003, 10:40 pm

Hi everyone, i don't know of this is the right place to say it so sorry if it's not.
Just a few words:i just have my 19 episodes since a couple of week and i just watch the pilot last night and aaaaaaaaahhhhhh this is so damn good....i haven't seen mscl for years...to be honest i was afraid it wouldn't be as good as when i was younger, simply because i've re-watch few episodes of due south i haven't seen for so much years and i've beeing totaly disapointed i was afraid this could happened again , but it doesn't:))

This is so good, so powerful, so touching, so perfect...Brian is so moving(i'll choose him if i were angela, i mean angela's body with my own mind), i love so much graham, and for the first time i can watch them in english...i'm just so glad and it's like you're the only one personn in the worl understanding me!!
i really enjoy reading your post, lots of good things.I just think about something, i don't know if you've alredy talking here about that (probably yes):
there is one conversation between patty and graham while they are in bed, and graham said something like "it could be worst, she could -i don't remember what-, taking drugs, having sex, like us when we were his age", and patty answer we weren't -i don't know what", and you do not have sex in high school", but she never said "i've never taking drug when i was young....so i just ask myself if this is because that's so obvious, or because she and graham were kind of smoking marijuana or something when they were young???i just find it was funny...

sorry if you've ever talk about it or if i misunderstood the conversation.
bye, i have to watch the second episode:))

loveme
Nicky Driscoll

Post by loveme » Apr 19th 2003, 10:55 pm

from transcripts:

"Graham: Patty, it could be a lot worse.

Patty: I know.

Graham: I mean, she could be cutting class, doing drugs...having sex. Like we did.

Patty: I never cut class, and you never had sex in high school"

so, have you ever talk about it?if yes could somebody please tell me where?tank u...

and another point you've certainly already discuss; patty said "and YOU never had sex in high school"...what do you think it means?We know girls didn't care about Graham in school...I haven't seen episodes for years so maby somewhere else into the show we know Patty was having boyfriends and sex in high school, no?

thanks showing me where are conversations about these two points if there are.

byebye

Re: Discussion for Episode 1: the Pilot

Post by Guest » Jun 5th 2003, 2:23 pm

[quote="NIGHTJESSI"]To elaborate on the discussion about The Divinyls' video, it seemed that Angela mistakenly thought Jordan actually wanted someone who was sexually explicit and that's what she equated him watching that video with. Meanwhile, what we really see in his attitude toward the video is that overt sexuality bores him. And everything people would assume excites Jordan is not necessarily what he is into. Unfortunately, this encounter has only served to make Angela feel more inadequate around Jordan.

I agree. Jordan always strikes me as one of those guys who'll sleep with every girl who is willing to sleep with him, he really doesn't care how that girl looks like, in one word he is a "player". So, he has that attitude "they all look the same to me as long as...(do I really need to go any futher?).He displays nonchalante attitude toward overt sexuality, as we see in the scene with the video.However, he is obviously very attracted to Angela( as we see later throughout the show) not only because of her outward appearance( altough she is "stunningly attractive in that unstraightforward way where real beauty lurks") but also because of her inner qualities.So, for Jordan all girls are more or less the same( they are here for only "one thing") and Angela is Angela( Why are like this?....Like what?....LIKE HOW YOU ARE?).Of course that doesn't mean that he won't try to get in bed :D

likelife
Liberty High Student

Post by likelife » Jun 13th 2003, 3:41 pm

i've been out of touch for a really long time due to RL and spending all of my television time watching and analyzing six feet under!

anyways...
about angela and anne of green gables:
i made that connection a long time ago for several reasons. i never consciously knew about the quote that you just found, grace, but it sure works nicely in my little comparison!
i think the redhead connection is the most obvious similarity that the characters have. also, though, they both are seriously introspective and imaginitive. anne is outspoken, though, while angela is generally resevred. both characters have a habit of not quite fitting in and seeing the world from a truly individual perspective.

Leb
Tino

flashlight holder at brian´s tree

Post by Leb » Jun 15th 2003, 7:42 pm

I just noticed, that in the scene, when Angela gets brought home by the cop, and Brian is sitting in the tree ("you´re a friend of hers? then act like one!" great sentence btw) Brian is reading with his flashlight in this book with the pirate cover. before he jumps down, he puts the flashlight in some holder that is attached to the tree. so i guess it shows that this is a place he likes to sit on, to watch people, angela esp. or whatever.
i just thought it to be a really nice idea to show that by attaching a holder to the tree.
or do you hink it´s something different, his bag or something?

pistolpeg
Liberty High Student

Post by pistolpeg » Jun 16th 2003, 1:18 pm

LEB,
I think you are right that it is a holder contraption that Brian rigged up. It always looked like a big can to me, like a coffee can or something that he tied to the tree. I definately got the impression that it was a favorite hang out spot for Brian.
Sometimes someone says something really small, and it just fits right into this empty place in your heart.

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 24th 2003, 12:04 pm

the pilot is my favorite episode... I think in the beginning when she decides to hang out with Rayanne instead of Sharon she kind of regrets it and in the bathroom when they are having there talk she says to her I dont ever want to and Sharon stops her so I guess Sharon is the one who does not want to be friends with her... I always thought it was a mutual decision but it seems more on Sharon then on Angela... I think my favorite part is when Rayanne is like omg angela omg and umm jordan is like I know that girl and is like angela... that really makes me think because I wonder if he noticed her before she was in trouble because at the party the only thing he said to her was about the day... but as they go on and Rayanne says to Angela you know with your hair like that it hurts to look at you... that scene is really great... umm I was thinking about the anne frank relation to this episode and the only thing that I could think of was how anne was forced into hiding even though she did not want to be and maybe angela felt the same way... about being who she was was like not enough... ooh when danielle is talking about watching that movie does anyone know what movie she was talking about... I thought it was girl 6 but that did not come out till 96... umm when angela is getting out of the cop car and brian is in the tree with the flash light and book and then hops down how come they walk like around the corner and see graham and some woman and then they turn and go back in the same direction they came from?... why would brian read in someone elses yard?
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 24th 2003, 1:48 pm

Hunee wrote:ooh when danielle is talking about watching that movie does anyone know what movie she was talking about... I thought it was girl 6 but that did not come out till 96...
I think it was just some crappy made for tv/Lifetime/woman in peril movie.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 24th 2003, 1:52 pm

your probally right :lol:
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life

Norwegian

Pilot

Post by Norwegian » Oct 26th 2003, 8:02 am

I think the Pilot is a great episode.
It's weird seeing her with normal blonde hair.
I like that there is alot going on even in this first episode.
You really get to know many of the caracters.

CrimsonGlow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by CrimsonGlow » Oct 26th 2003, 10:13 am

see below
Last edited by CrimsonGlow on Oct 26th 2003, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Seeing a teacher's actual lunch is like, sooo depressing"

CrimsonGlow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by CrimsonGlow » Oct 26th 2003, 10:15 am

First of all, it is probably the greatest pilot of any show. Pilots aren't usually that good or well-done in that kind of show genre. So packed with content and it was a good force to get people hooked (like how I did!).
About the Brian reading in another yard thing, I think that was his front yard on his tree. This is one of the few times the shooting was on the other side of the street at Brian's house. Then when Angela arrived in the police car, Brian and Angela decided to take a walk to the next neighbourhood intersection to talk about what happened at Let's Bolt. This was still on the same side where the tree lawn was. When they reached the end of the street at the intersection, that's when they saw her dad talking to another woman ("like, in her 20s"). Those two were at the woman's car meeting up for privacy's sake (and shame's sake) away from the street where the Chases live. When Angela saw the two, she was stunned and decided to turn back to the same street/sidewalk where they were walking (place where they discussed about what happened at Let's Bolt aka "harrassment") and Angela tripped while wearing Rayanne's shoes. They're now back at Brian's. Then she said she had to go. So here's the start of that famous camera shot where Angela crosses the street to go to her house and talks to Brian who is on the other side of the street in front of his house and the "book tree" and there you have it. Year 2000. What a pathetic theme! lol
"Seeing a teacher's actual lunch is like, sooo depressing"