Name of the play - need some help please! :-)

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Christy
Frozen Embryo

Name of the play - need some help please! :-)

Post by Christy » Dec 27th 2002, 10:02 pm

Okay ... this has been driving nuts for years! Let's see if I can explain this thoroughly.

What is the play that they are rehearsing in the episode in which Rayanne slept with Jordan? I remember the scene when Rayanne filled in for a girl while they were rehearsing.

And I remember some of the lines. Rayanne says, "Take me back .." Angela says a tearful, "Were you happy?"

That's all I can remember! If anyone can help, please respond! Thanks! :-)

IYBT
Tino

Post by IYBT » Dec 27th 2002, 10:06 pm

The play, they are rehearsing, is called "Our Town", if my memory serves me correctly. Hope this helps.

Christy
Frozen Embryo

Post by Christy » Dec 27th 2002, 10:11 pm

I just went through the transcripts and answered my own question! :-)

It's OUR TOWN!

But thanks so much, IYBT! :-)

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 28th 2002, 12:29 pm

Another similarity between MSCL and The Wonder Years: They both have episodes where the school puts on Our Town.

Although... so did Growing Pains. :lol:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Post by Guest » Jan 4th 2003, 5:10 am

Megs wrote:Another similarity between MSCL and The Wonder Years: They both have episodes where the school puts on Our Town.

I wonder why Our Town is such a popular choice???

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 4th 2003, 5:16 am

Anonymous wrote:
Megs wrote:Another similarity between MSCL and The Wonder Years: They both have episodes where the school puts on Our Town.

I wonder why Our Town is such a popular choice???
Probably because of its familiarity. It is a well known play and a classic. But it is also IIRC probably done in every HS atleast once every 4 or 5 years.

Bubba
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Bubba » Jan 4th 2003, 3:53 pm

Yeah, I think my high school did Our Town while I attended. And you know why schools pick Our Town?

It's the easy choice for the drama teacher. Catering to the actors, the lines are fairly straight-forward and easy to memorize. And, in an appeal to the audience (and the parents and the school board), the play is simultaneously "Important" and non-controversial.

In other words, they don't have the guts to do OTHELLO. If the sex and the murder didn't seal that play's fate as off-limits for high school production, the racial overtones and iambic pentameter settled the issue.
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. And above all things... Love.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 5th 2003, 6:21 pm

Another reason why high schools often perform Our Town: relative lack of scenery.

:D

Seriously, I think it's also because it's easy for people to understand the message (both students and their parents).

And it's a vicious cycle - if every school does Our Town every few years, it feels familiar when you see it again.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?