Your favourite episode and why!?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
CDOGG1

Weekend

Post by CDOGG1 » Jan 6th 2003, 6:21 pm

You know, I can't pick a favorite, but I like the lesser-toned, more sitcom-y episodes, like "weekend" and "On The Wagon" (sorta dramatic...but it brings a tear). I also love "Halloween" The only episode I have a real prob with is "So-Called Angels". It's dumb and it's way too far'fetched. That's all i gotta say..>SEE YA

CDOOGG

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: Weekend

Post by fnordboy » Jan 6th 2003, 7:57 pm

CDOGG1 wrote: I also love "Halloween" The only episode I have a real prob with is "So-Called Angels". It's dumb and it's way too far'fetched. That's all i gotta say..>SEE YA
I totally agree with you on So-Called-Angels, but you don't think Halloween is also too far fetched?

Usually holiday episodes are all stupid, the only ones that i can think of that i liked were 2.4 Childrens x-mas episodes. And Simpsons halloween ones.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 6th 2003, 8:08 pm

My lab was in Florida for a conference when this year's Simpsons Halloween episode aired. We were all out of whack from the time change, constantly wondering if we were hungry or tired :D but my roommate and I made sure to sit in our hotel room on Sunday night. We were going to go to dinner around 6:30pm because, once again, we were hungry but then we did some quick calculations and came to the conclusion that we might not make it back in time for the Simpsons. We ended up eating leftover peanuts from the plane ride to stave off hunger while we waited for the show to begin. That was when I realized that the show has been on the air for fourteen seasons - how insane is that? Of course, that begs the question: why are only two seasons available on DVD?!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 6th 2003, 9:05 pm

candygirl wrote:why are only two seasons available on DVD?!
BEcaus they take too damn long to release them. THis one a year release rate is killing me.

I think it is because they want to do them "right" (which they haven't yet). But i think the main problem is the commentaries for each episode, which I could really do without personally. Don't get me wrong I love commentary tracks, but if it is going to slow down production that much it isn't worth it.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 6th 2003, 9:29 pm

I have to admit that I have never sat through an entire commentary. The first time I turned on the commentary feature was when I was watching my "Say Anything" DVD but I became so annoyed with John, Ione, AND Cameron all talking while I was trying to watch the darn movie that I turned off the commentary and never looked back. I know a lot of people like this kind of special feature, but I found it distracting. Then again, I only left it on for about two minutes so maybe I should give it another try with something shorter (like the Simpsons).
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 6th 2003, 9:42 pm

I don't try and watch the movie when I watch the commentary features, maybe that's why they don't annoy me. When I got "Goonies", I watched the entire movie, and then I watched it again with the commentary. I loved it. I love hearing what the actors thought. I also did this with A Walk to Remember. I read the book, and I wanted to know why the screenwriter kept what they wanted and left out other things. The commentary was with Nicholas Sparks and the screenwriter. I loved it.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 6th 2003, 10:01 pm

Yes a commentary works a lot better when you try to not focus on the movie.

If you want good commentary tracks Oliver Stone has some of the best. The JFK one stands out. So much insight into the movies, into the history, into his head. They are amazing.

Granted there are some shitty commentary tracks.
Megs wrote:I don't try and watch the movie when I watch the commentary features, maybe that's why they don't annoy me. When I got "Goonies", I watched the entire movie, and then I watched it again with the commentary. I loved it. I love hearing what the actors thought. I also did this with A Walk to Remember. I read the book, and I wanted to know why the screenwriter kept what they wanted and left out other things. The commentary was with Nicholas Sparks and the screenwriter. I loved it.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jan 6th 2003, 11:10 pm

Commentaries are my favorite extra. I don't know if I would have bought The Simpsons DVDs if they didn't have the commentary.

Try sitting through the commentary on Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Tim Burton and Paul Reuens commentating. Definitely made for one of the most awkward commentaries ever.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 7th 2003, 12:44 am

dTheater wrote:Commentaries are my favorite extra. I don't know if I would have bought The Simpsons DVDs if they didn't have the commentary.

Try sitting through the commentary on Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Tim Burton and Paul Reuens commentating. Definitely made for one of the most awkward commentaries ever.
You know, I bought that dvd a long time ago and never popped it in. Now i have a reason too ;)

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Re: Commentary tracks

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Jan 7th 2003, 5:19 am

Candygirl, give those another try. The key, as others have mentioned, is not to concentrate on the movie while listening to these. Granted, the movie sometimes provides the backdrop for what the subject is discussing, but usually the fun way to do it, if you have time, is to do what Megs did -- watch the movie and then watch the commentary. Even if you only listen to the track once, it's usually worth it for the behind-the-scenes insight you get into favorite movies. If I don't really like a movie that I rent on DVD, I never watch the commentary but favorite movies always have commentary tracks calling to me.
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

MovieMac
Liberty High Student

Post by MovieMac » Jan 7th 2003, 8:49 pm

fnordboy wrote:
BEcaus they take too damn long to release them. THis one a year release rate is killing me.

I think it is because they want to do them "right" (which they haven't yet). But i think the main problem is the commentaries for each episode, which I could really do without personally. Don't get me wrong I love commentary tracks, but if it is going to slow down production that much it isn't worth it.
Hi. This "the commentaries are holding up the Simpsons releases"-thing must be one of the most widespread misconceptions when it comes to dvd releases. I'm reading this complaint everywhere on the net, but actually this is not true. The commentaries for seasons one through four have all been recorded a long time ago now, they were ready before even season one was released. By now they've probably recorded even more, just as they did record the Futurama comm. (Futurama seas 1+2 are already available in R2-land). I don't really know what is holding up the release but its not the commentaries. Knowing that it's even more frustrating that it takes sooo long to get more of the Simpsons. :?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 7th 2003, 9:42 pm

MovieMac wrote:
fnordboy wrote:

Hi. This "the commentaries are holding up the Simpsons releases"-thing must be one of the most widespread misconceptions when it comes to dvd releases. I'm reading this complaint everywhere on the net, but actually this is not true. The commentaries for seasons one through four have all been recorded a long time ago now, they were ready before even season one was released. By now they've probably recorded even more, just as they did record the Futurama comm. (Futurama seas 1+2 are already available in R2-land). I don't really know what is holding up the release but its not the commentaries. Knowing that it's even more frustrating that it takes sooo long to get more of the Simpsons. :?
Well that just makes it worse then..damnit. Well look at it this way, in 14 years we will be where we are at now.....(and we still wont have the AU bonus disc, though I'm sure Ross will still send out replies saying it is coming soon.)

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jan 8th 2003, 7:06 am

I rather enjoyed big bad Wesley Snipes' comic book sound effects as he commented on Blade II: Pow! Oooph! Blam!

:P
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

molkoshake
Tino

Okays

Post by molkoshake » Jan 8th 2003, 4:43 pm

I don't really have a favourite I have two I hate...but not a fave....I quite like the first two and Why Jordan can't read...

reasons not known.....
I'll see you at the bitter end

Megs
Lifehead

Re: Okays

Post by Megs » Jan 8th 2003, 9:24 pm

molkoshake wrote:I don't really have a favourite I have two I hate...but not a fave....I quite like the first two and Why Jordan can't read...

reasons not known.....
Which ones do you hate?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."