Jordan - On the Wagon

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Jordan - On the Wagon

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 10th 2002, 9:35 pm

At Vertigo, Jordan is playing his guitar while Rayanne tries to sing. After she runs off stage, the other guys urge him, "Do it!" When Jordan steps up to the microphone and starts singing, he stops playing the guitar.

When I watched that episode recently, it made me scratch my head and go, "Eh?" Maybe he has another pair of invisible arms that were playing the guitar for him...

Or did he start singing at a point in the song where his guitar was not needed?

I would like to add that Jordan sang much better in this episode than when he sang "Red" to Angela.

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Post by Guest » Dec 10th 2002, 11:03 pm

i think jordan sounds great singing 'red.'

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 10th 2002, 11:10 pm

Me too! I know he sang with a bit of a "country" accent, but it was still pretty good. What's wrong with red?
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 11th 2002, 1:27 am

I'm not saying that "Red" was sung badly, just that when he sang "I Wanna Be Sedated" he was much more supported and much less nasal - the sound was more natural, less forced (probably because "Red" was much higher in his range). The choir dork in me.

:D

I like "Red" - I was just commenting on the improvement in his vocal technique.

No one wants to say anything about Jordan not playing the guitar?

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 11th 2002, 2:25 am

Maybe Jordan was the "lead" guitarist - you know, the soloist. So perhaps his chord-strumming wasn't needed during the singing. There was another guitarist in the band. That would be two guitars vs. one voice. But who knows. I would have thought he'd keep singing. You couldn't argue that he has trouble singing and playing at the same time (as some people do), because he does both during "Red."

Rickie Love
Yearbook Team

Post by Rickie Love » Dec 11th 2002, 2:39 am

I'm thinking lip-sync type oops - you know...THEY WEREN'T REALLY PLAYING THEIR INSTRUMENTS?? Even the best damn show out there can goof once in a while :wink: ...'cause I kinda caught that one too. Music sounded the same even though he'd stopped playing.

Oh who cares, he has a really good voice and he's pretty! :D
"Oh, just say the word and she's a footnote in history. I'll make it look like a painful accident..."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 11th 2002, 3:20 am

I thought that most bands had one person on bass and another person on guitar, but I don't know a whole heck of a lot about band-ish music, so I went poking around on the internet (when I'm at work, I call this "research" :wink: ) and found the official Ramones website at http://www.officialramones.com - in their forum, someone posted the following:
I find it hard to believe that Johnny didn't play the guitar solo in Sedated. It's just an open high e string at the same pace as the rhythm guitar and bass. Of course it moves up a step too like the rest of the songs towards the end.
I interpreted this to mean that when the song is played live, it requires three guitars: rhythm, bass, and solo. Applied to the world of MSCL, Jordan should have continued playing his guitar!

I assumed what we saw at Club Vertigo was a goof because if Rayanne actually sang the whole song, I doubt that Jordan would have stopped playing. If you watch, he is playing his guitar during the intro and then cues Rayanne with, "Now!" and continues playing his guitar, which would indicate that whatever he is playing on his guitar is necessary during at least the beginning of the first verse. Most shows make it a rule not to film with the musicians playing live, so I was pretty sure they weren't really playing their instruments.