Product placement in MSCL?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
likelife
Liberty High Student

Post by likelife » Feb 3rd 2003, 10:17 pm

you know the boots that angela wears in "so-called angels"? i feel like there was a particular TYPE of boot that everyone started wearing that season though i do not know if it was just one brand (you know, the big chunky heel that had both brown and black stripes?). it might have been candies or docs or another big shoe brand... but it's certainly a specific style if not product...

does brian's prized camera ever get enough of a close-up that we can see what make it is?

oh, and if we are gonna talk product placement then i think bands are included... i do not mean so much the soundtrack bands as the ones that characters mention... like, at the end of episode four when angela tells her dad what music she likes... classic! i often wondered if the soundtrack and refernces like that from the show were the real reasons that MTV picked it up for a time. hmm

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 4th 2003, 4:14 am

My Skechers had a stacked heel like you described - as a matter of fact, 1993 was right around the time that Skechers became the cool thing. I had a pair of black Skechers with the stacked heel, and then a pair of dark green Skechers with steel toes. I loved those boots!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

likelife
Liberty High Student

Post by likelife » Feb 5th 2003, 9:48 pm

sketchers! that's the brand! i was sitting at my desk at work trying to think of that brand. sorry about the mental block.
i'm on the look-out for other products.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 24th 2003, 4:33 am

candygirl wrote:I think that for the most part, there is very specific product NON-placement in MSCL. Even when Rayanne is drinking beer (at Angela's, at Brian's, etc) or carrying liters of soda, etc. the labels are not visible. Although I assumed that Patty has Ben & Jerry's ice cream, I don't think we actually see the brand name. When we DO see labels, they are made up (such as the Cameron Castle bottle of alcohol that Rayanne drinks in the pilot). I believe that this is a deliberate effort from BF to reinforce the "anytown" feel. Of course now that we have the DVDs and we can do frame by frame, all of this is up for debate! :D
Okay, I take back the Ben & Jerry's comment. I couldn't see what brand Patty brings to Angela in Why Jordan Can't Read, but it definitely isn't B&J.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Mar 3rd 2003, 5:46 pm

If anyone cares, Brian had a PC in his room, It was a Mac. You know the one with the little like 8" screen and the floppy drive and tower biult right into the monitor. Most of them only did black and white. You can see it in "Life of Brian". I feel like such a nerd knowing this, but my school had rooms full of them and my first typing class used them. I remember fighting over the one they had in library during study hall because it was one of ther first computers that had a little drawing program and everyone wanted to use it. And I love the comments about Jansport backpacks being the standard. I had them all the way through sophomore year in college, till my girlfriends hamster did the last one in, and i switched to the over the shoulder book bag. Best part about them was that Jansport would replace the zipper if it died. Jansport carried my life for almost a decade.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

model
Frozen Embryo

Re: Product placement in MSCL?

Post by model » Nov 13th 2007, 5:20 pm

Although there hasn't been a new post in this section for a few years, I do remember seeing a container of JIF peanut butter in the Chase kitchen but I am not sure which episode this was in.