Is MSCL the greatest television series of all time?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Re: Is MSCL the greatest television series of all time?

Post by 4alifetime » Nov 19th 2008, 10:31 am

Never heard of October Road, what's it about? Big Ugly Betty fan though! Even my husband, who isn't really a tv fan watches it.
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Nov 19th 2008, 3:41 pm

October Road was on ABC for 2 seasons. It was supposed to have a 3rd season this season, but ABC canceled it. You think they'd stop at MSCL, but no.

It's about a guy named Nick Garrett who leaves his small town home when he's 18 to go find himself and never comes back. 10 years later he's written a best selling novel that basically is about all the people in his hometown, and he gets an offer to do a 1 day seminar on the art of the novel at the college in his hometown. So he comes back to town, and not everyone is happy to see him--not the girlfriend he left behind, or his best friend. Others are happy to see him. And a lot of ppl are mad about what he wrote about their fictional aliases in his book.

His girlfriend from 10 years ago has a 10 year old son who she claims is not his, but Nick has suspicions, so he decides to stick around for a while. It's just got great characters, all of them. Lots of quirky secondary characters too!

All episodes of Both seasons are chopped up into 10 minute segments and posted in their entirety on YouTube--you should check it out.
I'm watching an episode right now actually.
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

HeyDave
Tino

Post by HeyDave » Nov 22nd 2008, 12:10 pm

Hi Cami,

I loved October Road too. Just curious what you thought of Party of Five? PO5 is definitly towards the top of my list, behind MSCL of course! The first two seasons were great, but they sort of lost it after that for like three seasons. Then, right at the end, they tried to pull it back together, but it was too late. I just think the first season was great and one of m favorite shows. It's sort of ironic that MSCL blazed the trail for POF. Could you imagine if Fox or CW would have been around back then? I bet we would have been blessed with 4 or 5 seasons of MSCL !!

Dave

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Nov 22nd 2008, 6:54 pm

Dave,

I've never seen or even heard of Party of Five.
I just recently got hooked on Big Love (The show about the suburban polygamist family).
It's quite good. I bought the 1st and 2nd Season DVD sets and watched them all over the span of a few days. I don't have HBO so I'm waiting for the 3 season to come out on DVD.
Lotsa drama on that show, and fun characters, but nowhere near the emotional depth of MSCL or October Road.

Cami
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

HeyDave
Tino

Post by HeyDave » Nov 23rd 2008, 12:07 pm

WOW, Never heard of PO5? I'd suggest that you hop on down to the video store and rent the first season. The premise of the show basically revolved around 5 young adults and children living in SanFrancisco who were orphaned when their mother and father were killed by a drunk driver. Starred Matthew Fox, Neve Cambell, Scott Wolf, lacey Chabert, jennifer Love Hewitt, Jeremy London. Wilson Cruz even had a part on the series for awhile.

It's Sunday morning here and I'm still half asleep, but you have to be pulling my leg!

Dave

RCBS
Overlooked Sibling
Location: 100 miles from Three Rivers, on the good side of the River

Post by RCBS » Jul 11th 2011, 2:31 pm

Tomato.
Last edited by RCBS on Dec 16th 2016, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mutajon
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Mutajon » Jul 11th 2011, 4:13 pm

I don't think anyone can even seriously make such a statement. But for the sake of the discussion then yeah, MSCL is, currently for me, the greatest tv show of all time.
Everything just comes together so perfectly in this show - the writing, directing, acting, music - all of it just the highest quality there is.

I assume my favorite tv show of all time is something that could theoretically change, based on mood, time in life and whatnot, but what is sure is that MSCL will always be one of my most favorite shows. A truly amazing work of art.
"Aaaand dance by the light of the mooooon"

RCBS
Overlooked Sibling
Location: 100 miles from Three Rivers, on the good side of the River

Post by RCBS » Jul 11th 2011, 9:31 pm

Candy.
Last edited by RCBS on Dec 16th 2016, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rachelle1165
Frozen Embryo

Post by rachelle1165 » May 30th 2012, 7:01 am

MSCL was a great tv show, no doubt. To perhaps claim/rate it the greatest I need to first put it in a specific genre....if I don't do that then there's waaay too much competition. The comic elements aside, I'd firmly place it young adult/adult drama/any dramatic based series regardless of the main teenage protagonist.
Considering a mere 19 episodes captured a loyal legion of fans in both its original run and syndication, I'd say that would put it in my top 5, along with X-files, BTVS, Law and Order, and Quantum Leap :)

saaron
Frozen Embryo

Post by saaron » Aug 1st 2012, 5:33 am

i must say that MSCL is one of the tv shows that i can really say is one of the best although i cannot really say that it is the greatest of all time but it is a show tat really captured my interest and i am sure of a lot of viewers as well. i hope that the show has more episodes to come and as the story unfolds there will be more surprises for the viewers as well