Are forums good for you?

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Kate and her Guitar
Nicky Driscoll

Are forums good for you?

Post by Kate and her Guitar » Feb 27th 2006, 8:00 pm

I've been going to a forum since 2001. A long time. Today the girl that runs it posted a very upset post to say that a small group of member had been discussing her and her life behind her back in their blogs and saying quite hurtful things. She was very upset and is going to close the forum. I feel so sad about it, since it has always been a fun and caring forum. I know it's just a bunch of strangers, but I feel like I got to know some people's characters from it, and it was always nice to share things with complete strangers.

I'm also on a bit of an internet downer because Napster have been charging me for a subsrciption since August that I didn't even know I had.

Do you think that using the internet to talk to random people is a good thing? I am feeling a bit jaded about it all.

[/i]

DisplacedGopher
Frozen Embryo

Post by DisplacedGopher » Apr 18th 2006, 6:09 pm

Hmmm, well, I'd say it depends on how much you value it... yes it can be useful. Or no it can be a waste of time. It's whatever you make of it. The internet is very big and there are lots of people on it, so there are bound to be many who share your interests and satisfy whatever it is you're looking for. Strangely, despite the connectedness, the challenge is in finding them!

Hope your Napster dilemma got resolved... :wink:

BeverlyHills_RockStar16
Overlooked Sibling

Post by BeverlyHills_RockStar16 » Apr 19th 2006, 5:02 pm

ummm, okay well she must of like really pissed them off for them to write bad stuff about her in their bloggs, i mean if shes like closing forum because a few mambers made fun of her?? okay than- she like seriosuly needs to get a life,not even standing up for herself, and just closing the whole thing cuz of a few people, and making all the other members suffer. the stuff must be true. :wink:
rockiced_dimonds_BeverlyHills style
shopping is amazing

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 20th 2006, 6:38 pm

Mariska Hargitay recently closed the forums on her website due to immature people with too much free time and nothing better to do polluting the forums with mean spirited and inappropriate posts. Life is too short to surround yourself with negativity, especially if you are paying all the costs of hosting and running the site.
Do you think that using the internet to talk to random people is a good thing?
I don't think there is anything wrong with meeting and talking to people online. One of the great things about the internet is that it allows people with common interests from all over the world to meet. Without websites and forums, I never would have had the opportunity to chat with other MSCL fans or find people who share some of my other interests. Even when it's something mainstream, it's cool to find a place where other people love something as much as you do so you can discuss it and get other people's points of views, which is something you can't necessarily do within your circle of real life friends if they don't love all the same stuff you do.

I have made some great friends online, people who I now talk to on a regular basis (some almost every day) and hang out with when we are in the same city. I have also encountered some really mean, petty, negative people who hide behind the anonymity that the internet provides. I have learned not to take it too personally by remembering that (1) there are people like that everywhere (including real life) and (2) it's impossible for everyone to like you. Some people click, other people immediately rub each other the wrong way. That's life, online or not, and every time you interact with someone, you give them the opportunity to like you or dislike you.

I'd rather be honest and find people who like me the way I am than be tentative and find people who might like the few things about me that I've put out there. People judge you based on lots of things: your job, your car, your clothes, etc. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it happens in every situation whether you are online or at a grocery store.

A hard lesson I've learned about group dynamics is that there are always growing pains (whether the group grows larger or smaller) and it's often hard to adjust to the changes. Many forums I frequent (as well as real life organizations) have gone through that and it's difficult to watch a group that you love as it is become something else, but that's life - the only thing that's constant is change. I really sympathize about your forum closing. Once you find one where you are comfortable, it begins to feel like a family, and it's really awful when it disintegrates or disappears.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » May 28th 2006, 11:00 pm

"Do you think that using the internet to talk to random people is a good thing? I am feeling a bit jaded about it all."

I think is just like everything else. I think it can be good. Like candygirl has said, I have met some really cool people online. I have also met some really pathetic types as well.

As far as people getting hurt...whenever you have two plus people anywhere you are bound to get at least 2 opinions on everything. Some are going to be diametrically opposed to you. But what brought you to a forum in the first place? Most people I have come across tend to gravitate toward forums that have their interest or point of view.

-LanceMan

erasokamotesk
Frozen Embryo

Post by erasokamotesk » Jun 8th 2006, 9:10 am

totally agreed with you
me - nobody