London 2012

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

London 2012

Post by Sascha » Jul 6th 2005, 8:26 am

Congratulations to London for winning the race for hosting the 2012 Olympic Games. Geez, I'll be 36 when these games take place... :shock: I wonder if this forum and this entry still exist in 2012... :-)

I'm a bit surprised that Paris didn't win -- boy, they got to be disappointed now: 3rd try, 3rd defeat. At least it was very close this time (54:50 votes).

season
Liberty High Student

Post by season » Jul 6th 2005, 9:05 am

I have to admit, I thought is was too close and we really wouldn't win.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jul 6th 2005, 9:08 am

Yeah! It's pretty cool. We could hear the roar at Trafalgar Square from my office when the announcement was made.

I am trying to work myself into a frenzy of excitement about it, and I *am* excited, but it does mean an increase in my council tax (as a Londoner - it's not being paid for out of general country-wide taxation, they instead chose to fund it out of local taxation and lottery grants). I also have serious doubts about whether our transport system is up to it - it once took me 2hrs30 to get home (7 miles), because it was snowing.

That said, it is a good thing, and I have a massive sense of pride for my city. Also, my friend bought a house in Stratford last year, so he has literally just made £100,000 overnight - the value of his property is going to increase dramatically because he will be a 5 min walk from the main complex.

Everyone here is pretty exited - I do feel for the French, but I think Chirac shot himself in the foot when he started with the unprovoked disparaging comments about Britain and British cooking. That's not very sporting!

:D

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

season
Liberty High Student

Post by season » Jul 6th 2005, 9:21 am

Exactly my thougths. I had mixed feelings about it. But, I think they will be determined to do a good job of it.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jul 6th 2005, 8:58 pm

starbug wrote:Yeah! It's pretty cool. We could hear the roar at Trafalgar Square from my office when the announcement was made.

I am trying to work myself into a frenzy of excitement about it, and I *am* excited, but it does mean an increase in my council tax (as a Londoner - it's not being paid for out of general country-wide taxation, they instead chose to fund it out of local taxation and lottery grants). I also have serious doubts about whether our transport system is up to it - it once took me 2hrs30 to get home (7 miles), because it was snowing.

That said, it is a good thing, and I have a massive sense of pride for my city. Also, my friend bought a house in Stratford last year, so he has literally just made £100,000 overnight - the value of his property is going to increase dramatically because he will be a 5 min walk from the main complex.

Everyone here is pretty exited - I do feel for the French, but I think Chirac shot himself in the foot when he started with the unprovoked disparaging comments about Britain and British cooking. That's not very sporting!

:D
Ahh but why let diplomacy get in the way of a 700 year old grudge match.

I did hear that some cheered when New York got the axe. Gee, wonder why. :roll:

Too bad for Paris but congrats to London.

-LanceMan

season
Liberty High Student

Post by season » Jul 7th 2005, 4:51 am

Sacha, after reading you'll be 36, I realised I'll be 39! When I turned 30, it took weeks to get use to it and then to actually like it.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 7th 2005, 5:55 am

Yeah, it's a bit weird how fast time goes by... It seems like last month when I turned 20 and now I'm already close to 30.

Whoa, I'm just hearing the news about explosions in London -- I hope it's nothing too serious. But it looks like the entire subway system of London has been shut down. :shock: