this year's hot prom dress!

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

this year's hot prom dress!

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 29th 2005, 2:58 am

I am now officially old because the first thing I thought when I saw this dress was WTF?
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 29th 2005, 1:42 pm

I guess I'm old too, candygirl, because I had the same reaction. And I'm only 22! Of course, when I was in high school I wasn't all that into prom. I decided to go right at the last minute - there was about 1 hour left of the dance. I just threw on a dress and heels I already had, no makeup, did nothing to my hair and went. No date. I was going to go to a concert instead and then the prom afterparties, but my friend (not at my school) had to cancel on the concert because he had to go out of town. So I went to prom at the last second because I was really bored. I wouldn't have spent $100 on a prom outfit, let alone $495! I can't believe that high school girls can talk their parents into spending that kind of money on a prom dress. Terrible.

That is one of the nastiest dresses I've ever seen.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Jan 29th 2005, 8:05 pm

Have either of you seen the show on MTV... it's called something like Sweet Sixteen. All I can say is HOLY CRAP! When I had my sweet sixteen (Along with my golden Birthday) my celebration wasn't nearly as big or expensive as the girls on that show... and I'm thankful for it. They were all brats :twisted: (It appeared that way at least)!
Moltar- Well hey, Thom asked me if he could see my knife, and Thom's doing a song about knife, and he wanted to see what one looked like. Isn't that right Thom? (Pulls out knife again)
Space Goast- (Turns to Thom Yorke) Is that right?
Thom- ...No.
Space Goast- Cuz it sounds like a good idea... so do it.

-Space Goast With Thom Yorke

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 29th 2005, 9:46 pm

One year I went to the prom as a totally last minute thing, too. I didn't have a dress, so I just borrowed a dress that my sister had hanging in her closet. I think it ended up being really fun BECAUSE it was so last minute. I ended up going again the following years because I had a boyfriend at that time of year, but it was just another school dance (albeit in a much nicer place than the rest of our dances which were held in the school gym).

I saw the first episode of My Sweet Sixteen or whatever it's called because my boyfriend said they were in San Diego so I was curious to see where. I had seen commercials for the show and was determined not to watch it, only because I knew it would disgust me, and I was right. What cracked me up was that these girls were talking about getting Beyonce as the entertainment - until they saw the prices. "$500,000? Don't you think that's a bit much for someone to sing for an hour?" This coming from someone whose parents are spending an assload of money for two teenage girls to have a party at the Hard Rock Cafe? Anyway, I was cracking up that they ended up getting Unwritten Law. I'm sure the only reason they got them was that they are local and cheaper. To be fair, one of the girls did seem really nice, but it's possible she only came off that way compared to what a snotty biatch the blonde girl was.

My parents did throw a surprise party for my 16th birthday, but we're talking about those huge Subway party sandwiches with all my friends, not a ballroom with ice sculptures or anything.

I guess I'm a thrifty girl, but I can't believe anyone would pay $500 for that hideous dress. It reminds me of those nasty dental floss bathing suits that used to be all the skanky rage in the 80s. Fugliness aside, I must agree with what was said in the NY Post article - my mom never would have agreed to pay $500 for a dress I would wear once to a dance. In high school, I attended three Homecoming dances, two winter formals, and three proms and all of my dresses added together still didn't cost $500. I guess I just didn't care enough to spend that kind of money on a dress.

My mom was pretty lenient about my wardrobe. Only once in my entire life did she say, "You are not leaving the house dressed like that." I know for a fact that she never would have let me wear that hideously slutty dress.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jan 30th 2005, 12:03 am

I was always very modest in high school and purposely wore clothes that didn't flatter me. in fact, my best friend who was a little overweight would always dress me up like a doll and tell me to show some skin! ha. and while I would never have thought to wear a dress like that, there were girls slutty and rich enough at my school who have. but like the article said, they wouldn't have made it through the doors.

on a semi-related note, I bought an evening gown a couple of years ago to go to a musical. the tag said something like $80, but it was on the clearanc rack so I had no idea how much it cost. when the lady rang me up she said it was $3.20. I had to get her to repeat it because I couldn't believe what she said. and the lady in line behind me had the same look I did. it was pretty funny.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 30th 2005, 2:11 pm

candygirl wrote:In high school, I attended three Homecoming dances, two winter formals, and three proms and all of my dresses added together still didn't cost $500. I guess I just didn't care enough to spend that kind of money on a dress.
I'm with you, candygirl. I only attended a few dances in high school, and I don't think I once went out and got a new outfit for any of them. Maybe new shoes, but that's a different thing all together... :wink: I've always been rather conservative with my dressy outfits - I never wore a strapless (ie. tube top) dress until halloween last year. This summer I'm going to be a bridesmaid in my cousin's wedding, and I've already tried on the dress she chose for us. It's really pretty, I love the color - but it's a halter top, and I'm a little "gifted" in the upper-body area, if you know what I mean. The saleswoman said, "You won't even need to wear a bra with this!" I said, "I'll be in church and I'll be dancing all night. I'm wearing a bra!" Even though the halter top covers me completely and it's not offensive or skanky, I still feel exposed or inappropriate without a bra. The dress in the article has to be designed for model-esque women with thinner frames/smaller chests. Although, I'm sure plenty of larger women will get it thinking they are voluptuous instead of skanky. It's a thin line, but once you cross it...

Anyway, the only time I can sort of see justifying $500 on a dress is your wedding day. But even that is stretching it for me.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Jan 31st 2005, 1:52 pm

When I was in HS looking for a Prom dress there was no way that I was going to pay $100 for something that I would wear once or twice. But I was able to find a dress for $25 that I loved. There was another one that was simillar to it so we bought that one too. They lasted me through all my dances in HS.
And that dress is way skanky - especially if you are in HS. There is no way that anyone will let their 16-18 wear that dress in public, let alone spend the $500 dollars on it!!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 7th 2005, 8:57 pm

candygirl wrote:I saw the first episode of My Sweet Sixteen or whatever it's called because my boyfriend said they were in San Diego so I was curious to see where.

What cracked me up was that these girls were talking about getting Beyonce as the entertainment - until they saw the prices. "$500,000? Don't you think that's a bit much for someone to sing for an hour?" This coming from someone whose parents are spending an assload of money for two teenage girls to have a party at the Hard Rock Cafe? Anyway, I was cracking up that they ended up getting Unwritten Law. I'm sure the only reason they got them was that they are local and cheaper.
Someone said that Unwritten Law did a radio interview recently and they said that they were contacted by someone (MTV?) about playing at the party and they agreed to do it because they thought the birthday girl had cancer.

This was probably due to the fact that the two girls charged their guests $10 a head to get in and then they donated the money to "breast cancer." Not breast cancer research, mind you - they said more than once that the money was specifically going to breast cancer itself. Reminds me of some of those celebrity pleas for us common folk to donate to the "tsunami disaster." Not disaster relief, the disaster. Because you know if the tsunami just had a little bit more money it could do some more damage.

:roll:

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Feb 8th 2005, 1:04 am

Wow that dress is terrible, even if it weren't so trashy it would still be just plain ugly. One of my favourite quotes from the article is "If my daughter had the body to wear it, I'd let her!". What the hell does that mean? I guess if you're daughter is over weight or flat chested you'd just have to help her find some other way to look like a ho.

Candygirl, as i understand it, funds raised for breast cancer and tsunami disaster don't go toward doing more damage but instead are spent on PR to try to undo all of the bad press they've received. Spoiled rich tramps understand that even really bad things deserve to be thought well off by people in general.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 8th 2005, 2:13 am

Ahhhh, that makes MUCH more sense!

:mrgreen:

Don't punish cancer - that's ignorant!

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 8th 2005, 1:18 pm

grim4746 wrote:One of my favourite quotes from the article is "If my daughter had the body to wear it, I'd let her!". What the hell does that mean?
Was that quote from Joe Simpson, Jessica & Ashley's dad? :wink: I read somewhere that he was talking about Jessica Simpson's (his daughter's) breasts - about how they are double Ds, and you 'just can't hide those suckers' or along those lines. How nasty is that!?? I would be mortified if my father talked about me that way.

But yes, the dress is horribly ugly. I wouldn't wear that in private as a negligee even. How long is the skirt, by the way? You can't really tell from the picture - I'd guess very very short.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 9th 2005, 3:48 am

Actually the skirt is long. I guess when you're practically topless, the least you can do is have a demure long skirt to balance it all out.

http://www.impressionbridal.com/images/ ... ad376L.jpg

Creepy Pa Joe freaks me out.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 9th 2005, 9:54 am

The thing is that if it were more covered up on the top half, it would actually be a pretty dress! Like if the stomach was covered and the cut wasn't so low. Probably the back not so low cut either.

~~Kristin~~

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Feb 9th 2005, 10:39 am

:shock: I'm afeared what the "hot prom dress" will be like when my 6year old is ready to go to prom.
Then agian it's not nearly as big a thing here as in the US.

that dress is just plain awful :?
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Feb 9th 2005, 11:48 am

How many girls are going to try and wear that because it's the hot dress, when they clearly have no business trying it on? It doesn't exactly cater to a variety of body types. You better have a flat stomach, and play for the A team if it's going to look right.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts