Halloween

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Re: Halloween

Post by 4alifetime » Oct 12th 2007, 4:15 pm

Hm...I've been so preoccupied with deciding what to dress my 11 month old as I didn't even think about a costume for me! I'm the person who waits every year until the last minute and then it's too late- hey, just like in the show, haha!

I (like Natasha) am obsessed with candy so I had a cute Hershey Kiss costume picked out for my baby...but my mother-in-law overrode me and we ended up with a ladybug. Still cute!
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 12th 2007, 7:03 pm

I like the candy corn and the Hershey kiss ideas. Babies dressed as anything are cute! My sister & her husband are talking about trying to have a child, and it's hard to keep from buying everything cute I see, and there are some pretty great baby costumes out there!

I just found out that one of my students from a couple of years ago is going as me for Halloween. :shock: So basically I guess that means rolling out of bed, throwing your unbrushed hair up into some kind of knot, talking about how you're obsessed with George Orwell, toting around piles of ungraded essays like an albatross, making a lot of gesticulations, and doing it all to the sound of Cat Stevens circa Harold and Maude. :roll:
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 14th 2007, 4:43 am

I took ice skating lessons when I was really little, and one year our costumes for the annual show were lime green skating outfits (long sleeved leotards with little attached skirts) with big tin foil Hershey's Kiss hats pinned to our heads. To this day, I don't understand how they decided lime green went with Hershey's Kisses!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 15th 2007, 3:35 pm

just in the last week it's gotten much colder than it's been. and that for me, always reminds me of Halloween. as a kid I would always get my costumes way early when the weather was still nice. but then (in the south anyways) the day Halloween rolls around the temperature suddenly drops and you're a freezing trick or treater. but somehow you really don't mind because you look sooo cool and get lots of candy.

I'm excited this year because a friend of mine is having a halloween rooftop bbq party in Brooklyn. I just need to find an awesome costume that is both warm and relatively inexpensive. that should be easy, right? ha ha. any suggestions are welcome. I always get a brain fart when it comes to my own costumes.

:evilbat:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 31st 2007, 9:36 pm

When I lived in Chicago as a kid, I HATED if I had to wear a jacket over my costume, but some years it really was too cold to go without one. LAME! I'm glad to see that they have finally moved the time change to the week after Halloween. I always thought it was cruel and pointless to make it dark an hour earlier just before Halloween.

This year I have this weird inverse MSCL Halloween dilemma. Remember how Patty keeps offering/threatening the flapper costume and no one wants to wear it? This year I had to find a flapper costume at the last minute. A friend of mine is having a birthday get together at a speakeasy (password required and everything) next week and she requested that we wear Prohibition era accessories (aka flapper outfits for the girls). I looked at a few places this week and the stores either had nothing or one really hideous costume (we're talking iridescent lavender lame dress with a matching hat). I decided to buy whatever accessories I could find and work with that. So far I have the feathered headband, elbow gloves, and a long strand of pearls. I found a fringed flapper dress tonight at a Halloween store (which was totally ransacked and full of desperate people at 6pm) but it was a plus sized one size fits all for $35. If it's still there tomorrow when everything is 50% off, I might just buy it and use one of those mitten clips in the back to make it tighter.

This year my boyfriend decided to go with a classic - we bought a white sheet at Target last night for $7 and he was a ghost. It was more work than he thought it would be. He wanted dark eyes (not just cut out holes) so we bought some nylons and cut them out to put over the eye holes. He said he has wanted to be a ghost for a long time but never got to do it. Awwwww.

:lol:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Nov 1st 2007, 11:09 am

unfortunately for me, I fell down some subway stairs saturday morning. I was on my way to a videography job so my arms were full with camera equipment, so my tailbone took all the weight of the fall. so not only did I miss out on the rooftop party on saturday, but I also missed out on the huge Halloween parade in the west village in manhattan. so this holiday definitely sucked for me. the irony? I was going to dress up like a wicked old granny, and that's about what I looked like hobbling around the apartment this weekend! ha ha.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 1st 2007, 7:39 pm

Awww, that sucks! Are you okay? At least you got in some practice hobbling so you'll be an expert next year!