Geek Alert!: Magic the Gathering CCG questions

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Geek Alert!: Magic the Gathering CCG questions

Post by fnordboy » Feb 18th 2004, 12:20 pm

Basically I started playing Magic the Gathering back when it first came out, when there was only a small handful of people playing it even in the RPG convention scene (ohmygodimanerd! ;) ). I got tired of it after awhile of playing and sold off a large part of my collection at the time. Kept basically my playing deck (red/black) and a few other cards. I got into Jyhad and Rage CCGs but they quickly got boring.

So here I am now, a decade+ later and I still have these cards. I want to unload them and I know I got a lot of cash back in the day when I sold mine, but now I don't know worth (or even if they are worth anything). I am pretty sure I have Alpha and Betas but I am not positive. Anyone know where I can find a price guide and a way to tell what series cards I have so I can figure out what I actually have. IIRC back in the day the border color meant something, I have both white border and black border cards if that means anything. Anyone with any knowledge about MtG please help.

Also, I have autographed cards. Possibly autographed by Jeff Menges(?) but I am not sure. And a few joke cards that someone in the scene was making "Circle of Protection" became an illustration of a condom, etc.

If anyone has any knowledge about this stuff please help. And if anyone is interested in any of these cards let me know (post here or PM) and I will put up a list of what I have.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 24th 2004, 1:12 pm

You can't tell me there is no one on here who hadn't played Magic the Gathering... :(

I can't be alone in my Geekdom. :shock:

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Feb 24th 2004, 10:05 pm

Dude, people who played Magic were even looked down on by those of us who played Dungeons and Dragons. I'm pretty sure the LARPers even though card gamers were a lower form of geek. And you KNOW that's low! :)

Just kidding (mostly :P ) Don't know anything about Magic though...can't help you out there ;)
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Re: Geek Alert!: Magic the Gathering CCG questions

Post by GaryEA » Feb 25th 2004, 1:36 am

fnordboy wrote:I can't be alone in my Geekdom.
Oh yes you can, and you know what? You are. :twisted:

Anyhoo, I know nada about MtG. I've played D&D once - I started as a naked dwarf with a wooden sword and was prompty killed a few rounds in. Odd, I never played it again. :wink:

Sounds to me that you may have a pretty good Ebay auction on your hands, but quite honestly, the Magic craze may have been replaced with something like Yu-Gi-Oh cards by now. At least that's the impression I get at my comic shop. These things go in trends, like comics. Actually the new "card" fad are HeroClix which are little plastic statues that have dials in the base.

I know that there are price guides in magazine form for these cards. Wizard might have it, or have it's own magazine for it (like thier Anime mag) with a guide inside it. There might be an online guide as well.

Maybe you can find a good online dealer that will give you a good price, or like I said, auction them off. Or, hold on to them until the MtG revival kicks in. I know you have plenty of room. :D

Gary
(*cough*nerd!*cough*)

John Hinckley
Tino

Re: Geek Alert!: Magic the Gathering CCG questions

Post by John Hinckley » Feb 25th 2004, 11:22 am

fnordboy wrote:Basically I started playing Magic the Gathering back when it first came out, when there was only a small handful of people playing it even in the RPG convention scene (ohmygodimanerd! ;) ). I got tired of it after awhile of playing and sold off a large part of my collection at the time. Kept basically my playing deck (red/black) and a few other cards. I got into Jyhad and Rage CCGs but they quickly got boring.

So here I am now, a decade+ later and I still have these cards. I want to unload them and I know I got a lot of cash back in the day when I sold mine, but now I don't know worth (or even if they are worth anything). I am pretty sure I have Alpha and Betas but I am not positive. Anyone know where I can find a price guide and a way to tell what series cards I have so I can figure out what I actually have. IIRC back in the day the border color meant something, I have both white border and black border cards if that means anything. Anyone with any knowledge about MtG please help.

Also, I have autographed cards. Possibly autographed by Jeff Menges(?) but I am not sure. And a few joke cards that someone in the scene was making "Circle of Protection" became an illustration of a condom, etc.

If anyone has any knowledge about this stuff please help. And if anyone is interested in any of these cards let me know (post here or PM) and I will put up a list of what I have.
i used to play back then to......i've been wanting to sell my cards, but every time I try i change my mind....
I'd try ebay. good price guides are InQuest and Scrye.if you have any luck, let me know.....

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 28th 2004, 8:49 pm

fnordboy wrote:You can't tell me there is no one on here who hadn't played Magic the Gathering... :(

I can't be alone in my Geekdom. :shock:
Maybe just in this one area....

:wink:

I actually have never played the game. I started playing 1st edition D&D back in 1979 when I was 8. I have played several other role-playing games since: Robotech, Rifts. I am currently playing D&D 3.5 with a couple of people.

The only card game I have been playing the past couple of years has been Star Force Terra by Dan Versen, which is a blast to play by the way. My buddies and I have used the game to create decks for other science fiction genres: Star Wars, Babylon 5, Robotech, and many, many more.

If it would help I will make some inquires with my gaming buddies about the best place for you to sell off your cards. Just let me know.

-LanceMan

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Mar 3rd 2004, 1:57 am

You haven't really lived until you've played M:tG with a gang of seedy roughnecks in a smoke-filled back room . . . ahh, those were the days. Well, okay, we were really nice guys who wouldn't hurt a fly, but damn if we didn't look nasty! :lol:

As for Fnordboy's collection, I suspect the market is flooded with CCG and CMG crap at the moment, but if you have some really good alpha-first edition or autographed cards you might yet move them. I seem to recall an Unholy Strength that got banned early on for controversial pentagram artwork (yes, the same people who thought D&D was eeeeeevil :roll: ) among others. I will pass the word along to my fellow weirdos just in case someone wants your Circle of Latex, or Ward Against VD or whatever.

:D
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 4th 2004, 12:47 pm

Nostradamus wrote:You haven't really lived until you've played M:tG with a gang of seedy roughnecks in a smoke-filled back room . . . ahh, those were the days. Well, okay, we were really nice guys who wouldn't hurt a fly, but damn if we didn't look nasty! :lol:
And don't forget the smell. RPG con stank :shock: Worse than animecon stank.