Gift idea for a person who loves words

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Nik
Liberty High Student

Gift idea for a person who loves words

Post by Nik » Dec 12th 2003, 2:18 pm

I am trying to put together a gift package for my boss. It is difficult to buy things for someone who pretty much just gets whatever he wants when he wants it--especially if it's in the price range that I am planning to spend (under $50).

But--he loves words and useless information. He is addicted to the daily crossword puzzle in the paper. He can't not finish it every day! I don't want to get him a book on crossword puzzles, because he doesn't need it. We are constantly dragging him from the one in the paper as is.

Anyway--I have already ordered the book "A Word A Day: A Romp Through Some of the Most Unusual and Intriguing Words in English", and also a cute little Miscellary (can't remember the exact name of it) with useless facts and knowledge (well not all useless :) ).

I want to try to find a few little things to add to it. I love to read, and I love to give and get books, but I have an aversion to giving someone just books as a gift. --I don't know what my problem is.

If anyone has any ideas for me I would be ever grateful!!

Nik

“Well, I guess it depends on how-- badly you need wallpaper”
“I would say pretty badly”

pistolpeg
Liberty High Student

Post by pistolpeg » Dec 12th 2003, 3:16 pm

I don't know if your boss would like this or not, my best friend and I have a great time with magnetic poetry ( I think that is what it's called). You get sheets of words that go on your refridgerator or any metal surface and you make phrases, poems, etc. They have all sorts of different kits and they even have books now on magnetic poetry.

They have some here:
http://www.toymagnets.com/cart/shopper. ... &key=MP002
Sometimes someone says something really small, and it just fits right into this empty place in your heart.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Dec 12th 2003, 5:04 pm

Check out "An Underground Education" by Richard Zacks. It's a book about the untold history of sex, business, crime, science, medicine, and other fields of human knowledge. It's filled with short articles, a page or two long. It's well written and interesting, not a cheesy Ripley's Believe it or not style book.

here's a link to it:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Nik
Liberty High Student

Post by Nik » Dec 17th 2003, 12:51 pm

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I did end up getting him the genius version of the magnetic poetry kit. I think it will be a kick:-)

Since I had already purchased 2 books for his basket, I didn't order "An Underground Education" for him, but I did order it for myself :D . It looks very interesting--I can't wait to get it.

Again--thanks for your help :)
Nik

“Well, I guess it depends on how-- badly you need wallpaper”
“I would say pretty badly”

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Dec 17th 2003, 1:25 pm

Glad to help, hope you enjoy them and have wonderful christmas.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

pistolpeg
Liberty High Student

Post by pistolpeg » Dec 17th 2003, 4:49 pm

You're welcome!
Sometimes someone says something really small, and it just fits right into this empty place in your heart.