Ready for some football

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 31st 2004, 3:01 am

This week Reggie White passed away. He was one of the greatest defensive players ever in the game. There are some tribute on http://www.packers.com. It is believed that he died from respiratory failure due to sleep apnea, but I haven't heard the results of the autopsy. It has been a sad loss for football fans. My heart goes out to his family.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Dec 31st 2004, 11:11 pm

Kristin wrote:This week Reggie White passed away. He was one of the greatest defensive players ever in the game. There are some tribute on http://www.packers.com. It is believed that he died from respiratory failure due to sleep apnea, but I haven't heard the results of the autopsy. It has been a sad loss for football fans. My heart goes out to his family.
Huge bummer. My brother was huge fan of his when he was back with the Eagles.

-LanceMan

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jan 2nd 2005, 9:41 pm

Denver made the playoffs, barely. The Colts were mostly fielding second-stringers today, having already secured their post-season status. The Broncos will be hard pressed to repeat the victory against the Indy elite.

On a statistical note, Jake Plummer matched John Elway's franchise record for regular season TDs (27) and set a new team record for season passing yards (4089). Peyton Manning ends the regular season with a record-breaking 121.1 passer rating.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Jan 3rd 2005, 5:22 pm

The Bears/Packers game was awesome- esp. since I live in IL, but love the packers! I got to rub in my friends faces... like usual. :P

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Jan 3rd 2005, 5:26 pm

Kristin wrote:This week Reggie White passed away. He was one of the greatest defensive players ever in the game. There are some tribute on http://www.packers.com. It is believed that he died from respiratory failure due to sleep apnea, but I haven't heard the results of the autopsy. It has been a sad loss for football fans. My heart goes out to his family.
My fathers childhood friends Dad died on the very same day- he was a big packers fan, as well as a big Reggie White fan. His son said that his father would have liked passing away with Reggie White.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 4th 2005, 4:20 pm

Yeah - that Packers/Bears game was great. Can you believe how many sacks we made!? Awesome. However, I did not watch the entire game. I had to run some errands, but my dad said I didn't miss much. It was cool to see Nall get some action on the field (he is Favre's backup QB). I think he did a really great job!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 4th 2005, 11:40 pm

Nostradamus wrote:Denver made the playoffs, barely. The Colts were mostly fielding second-stringers today, having already secured their post-season status. The Broncos will be hard pressed to repeat the victory against the Indy elite.

On a statistical note, Jake Plummer matched John Elway's franchise record for regular season TDs (27) and set a new team record for season passing yards (4089). Peyton Manning ends the regular season with a record-breaking 121.1 passer rating.
Be proud, at least Denver made it. Too bad for the Saints. What a way to finish the season though. I will be surprised though if the Colts go deep into the playoffs, their defense isn't all that.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 11th 2005, 6:29 pm

First weekend of playoff football:

:shock:

The Jets, Rams and Vikings win.

:shock:

Didn't see that coming at all. This weekends match ups should be good.

-LanceMan

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 11th 2005, 6:57 pm

Well, since < :cry: > the Packers aren't going to the Superbowl this year, I think I will probably root for the Colts. Peyton Manning is just having such a great year. And I will also root for whoever is playing the Vikings. :twisted: Randy Moss deserves a large fine for his behavior on Sunday. :x

~~Kristin~~

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jan 11th 2005, 7:43 pm

I didn't find Randy Moss's selebration that offensive in and of itself. But it was absolutely classless. The thread of respect I had for him is now completely gone. I hope he gets closelined. The NFL seems to have a tough time deciding where it stands on excessive celebration. On one hand you have and incident like this, yet at commerial they will run hilights of all the touchdown dances from the season. It seems to riding a fine line. I can understand a touchdown celebration in a tight game, but there seems to be celebration dances for a first down or a sack. Isn't that their job? Does if really need celebrating?

I am a hockey player and a fan and I'm proud that this type of grandstanding would never go unchecked in our sport. Though the referee's have the power to penalize a player for it, there isn't much need. The players with let it be known that it won't be tollerated. I always suscribed to the philosophy that a goal should be acknowledged, but act like you've done it before, and that you'll do it again. I think that's much more intimidating than than jumping up and down like it's your first time. I guess what I'm saying there is a time and a place. Playing the game just waiting for a time to do whatever dance you've practiced just seems stupid to me.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 11th 2005, 7:57 pm

Kristin wrote:Well, since < :cry: > the Packers aren't going to the Superbowl this year, I think I will probably root for the Colts. Peyton Manning is just having such a great year. And I will also root for whoever is playing the Vikings. :twisted: Randy Moss deserves a large fine for his behavior on Sunday. :x
Kristin,

I was really pulling for your Packers, really was. My only explanation that Brett Favre was replaced by a body double who threw those interceptions. The real Brett Favre was in an undisclosed location. :D Also was pulling for the Seahawks. :evil: I have a feeling that the Seahawks will see a major reorganization as a result of yet another playoff loss.

So I am now rooting for the Eagles. The Colts definately look scary but I think the Steelers will destroy them in the end. The Steelers still are giant killers having knocked off both New England and Philadelphia.

-LanceMan

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 11th 2005, 9:06 pm

Thanks, lance. Brett just wasn't playing up to his full potential. You could give a whole bunch of excuses, but what's the point? The Pack just couldn't pull it together on Sunday. Besides... it's just a game! There's always next year! I say I'll root for the Colts, but really, it's more important to me that the Vikings don't make it to the Superbowl. :twisted:

As for Moss' behavior - I also wasn't particularily offended by it, but I think the problem is that it can be dangerous behavior - taunting the crowd like that. Fan is short for fanatic, remember, and fans can get really super worked up - especially when they have had a few drinks and their team has lost really badly in an important game. I have seen brawls at baseball games and hockey games before... in the stands. There were those two guys who killed each other over a LA/SF baseball game a while back. And also look at what happened at that Pacers game a couple months ago! I think what Randy Moss did was out of line because of the potential harm it could have brought to the fans, and perhaps players.

And as for the celebration factor - I also agree it can be excessive. The game isn't over until it's over, if you know what I mean. Anything can happen. Leave the celebrating each sack and 1st down to the fans. Even the football video games have the little dances programmed in when there is a touchdown!

~~Kristin~~

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 11th 2005, 10:24 pm

I'm pulling for the Steelers this year. They need a one more ring for the thumb! Plus, the Steelers are Angela's home team, even if she doesn't follow the sport too closely.

<getting out the terrible towel>
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Jan 13th 2005, 6:20 pm

Moss is actually getting fined $10,000 for his "mooning". I think that is a little steep seeing as Jake Plummer was only fined $5,000 for flipping off the crowd (which, IMHO, is worse). Here is an article all about it.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 13th 2005, 7:54 pm

You don't mess with Packers fans, the greatest fans in the world. :wink:

I read he was getting fined $75,000 - but that was on Monday, so maybe it's changed. $100,000 probably is too much, but I do believe he needs some punishment.

~~Kristin~~