If you could create a new holiday......

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Sammi
Substitute Teacher

If you could create a new holiday......

Post by Sammi » Oct 19th 2003, 2:09 pm

If you could create a new holiday celebrating anything you wish, what would it be?

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Oct 20th 2003, 12:57 pm

How about a no TV holiday? People get the day off, but no one watches TV. People discover what live might be like without their little box of entertainment. TV stations wouldn't even broadcast on the day.

(I realise, we all love TV shows, but it's just one day. Plus we might just learn something about ourselves.)
Last edited by Nothingman on Oct 20th 2003, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 20th 2003, 1:01 pm

ack...spasms...swirling dots...must turn...TV...back on.........

[click]

ahhhh...that's better..........
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 20th 2003, 5:08 pm

Nothingman wrote:How about a no TV holiday? People get the day off, but no one watches TV. People discover what live might be like with their little box of entertainment. TV stations wouldn't even broadcast on the day.

(I realise, we all love TV shows, but it's just one day. Plus we might just learn something about ourselves.)
You do know that if this ever happens, I will be hunting you down on my "day off" :twisted: :twisted:

;)

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Oct 20th 2003, 6:51 pm

Tomspeed wrote:ack...spasms...swirling dots...must turn...TV...back on.........

[click]

ahhhh...that's better..........
:rofl: so true.
fnordboy wrote:You do know that if this ever happens, I will be hunting you down on my "day off"
Hey, at least you would remember the holiday, and it wouldn't be a lost memory of fooball games and movie specials.

I got the idea from the New York City power outage, where people were out on their steps talking to neighbors, playing cards, having bbq's. Just seems to me that there is some value in that. Reminded me that we have lost that little piece of the america, thought it might be a nice to have a day to try and get that back, not that it would ever happen.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Oct 20th 2003, 8:31 pm

I'd have my birthday as a National Holiday. And the purpose would be to celebrate Megs. All day.

Now, doesn't that sound like a great idea?

:D
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Oct 20th 2003, 9:14 pm

Megs wrote:Now, doesn't that sound like a great idea? :D
Yeah, it does sound like a great idea...only, instead of on your birthday, it could be on my birthday. And instead of celebrating Megs all day, everyone could celebrate me all day.

Now that sounds like a great holiday! :P
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 21st 2003, 12:39 am

Hee, every year I send out a reminder email about my birthday to let them know that it IS a national holiday on my calendar!

:P
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Oct 21st 2003, 1:02 am

:oops: I thought every day was Megs Day.... now I feel stupid :?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 21st 2003, 1:20 am

Sorry, I thought everyone already got that Megs Day memo!

:lol:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » Oct 21st 2003, 6:24 am

Nothingman wrote:How about a no TV holiday? People get the day off, but no one watches TV. People discover what live might be like without their little box of entertainment. TV stations wouldn't even broadcast on the day.

You might be interested to know that my elementary school sponsored a no TV holiday. They even sent home a little sign that had a picture of a TV in a red circle with a slash across it. I think the TV might have even been frowning...Anyway, the premise is good, but the execution is not. We would always forget what day it was and watch TV that morning. I don't think I ever actually did it.
"Gee, you're beautiful when you're unconscious."
---Link in "Hairspray"