Wimbledon

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
starbug
Lifehead

Wimbledon

Post by starbug » Jun 13th 2003, 5:25 am

Yes, it's coming. I get really stupidly excitable at the prospect :!:

I love it. The strawberries, the cream, the posh women in their frocks when it's clear everyone should be wearing jeans, the kids with 'Tiger Tim' scrawled across their foreheads....

:multi:

Hurrah! Tim Henman might win :?: Maybe. Actually what will happen is that he'll battle through a series of matches winning by the skin of his teeth and somehow make it to the quarters or semis at which point his form will dissolve and he'll crash out. Everyone will say 'next year, Tim.'

And this year I've got tickets!

that's right, I'll be there on Men's Quarter Finals day... can't hardly wait

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

wimbeldon

Post by lance » Jun 13th 2003, 10:37 am

Starbug,

Cool thread. I don't follow tennis. Yet, ever summer I find myself drawn to watching Wimbeldon coverage on TV. Very fun to watch. Also makes me want to go England in the worst way.

:D

Best,

Lance Man

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 13th 2003, 11:52 am

I don't really follow tennis either; only at Wimbledon time... it's like an infection. For 2 weeks, everyone's talking about it, watching it, and even playing tennis... then Wimbledon ends, and people go 'Oh.' and get on with their lives.

But it's such a fabulous time of year... and it wouldn't be the same without the rain.

I've been before (1997) and queued up for hours to get in, one Sunday when it had rained so much the previous week that they had to play on the middle Sunday to catch up the matches. nobody could get advance tickets so you just had to get up and go - it was brilliant. The atmosphere was electric (in a quiet, british sort of way) and everyone was on such a high. Watched a 4 hour match on Centre Court and screamed myself hoarse... was so exhausted the next day I could hardly move, let alone get up and go to work.

:onfire:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 13th 2003, 1:16 pm

Believe it or not I am a big tennis fan, it is the only sport I actually follow. Very interested to see what happens at this wimbledon since it seems Sampras will not be attending. Maybe now Henman will have a shot (HA! yeah right!).. face it my british MSCLers...Henman will never win, he just doesn't have it.

Curious about the women's side, hopefully it will not be a Williams/Williams final, glad to see them get knocked out at the French. And with my dear Hingis gone I don't know who to root for. Maybe Davenport or Henin.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jun 13th 2003, 1:54 pm

I don't mind wimbledon, but since I only get the three major networks and pbs, I guess I'll be watching it. I know I'm behind, but why is Sampras not attending? And the Williams/Williams final is getting old, but I can't bring myself to ruit for Davenport, she's just too homely.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 13th 2003, 2:36 pm

Nothingman wrote:I don't mind wimbledon, but since I only get the three major networks and pbs, I guess I'll be watching it. I know I'm behind, but why is Sampras not attending? And the Williams/Williams final is getting old, but I can't bring myself to ruit for Davenport, she's just too homely.
Sampras is most likely, I don't think it has been completely confirmed, retiring since he just had a kid in December and he is just not on his game like he use to be. Guess he wanted to end it on a semi-high and not look like a chump like Michael Chang repeatedly does to himself :)

Sad day though, he is/was/will always be one of the best players on the men's side.

Williams/Williams was old since the day they started. I can not stand them and their cocky attituteds. Especially since they really suck as players. They have no game except strength. Unfortunately most of the girls get too intimidated against them and choke. Generally if you can just keep up with the returns they will float it out on the forehand side, especially Venus.

Davenport is homely, agreed, but she is one of the nicest players on the women's side it seems. And she is an amazing player, though lately she hasn't been on her game.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jun 13th 2003, 2:46 pm

I'm pulling for Jennifer Capriati, Florida girl. I'd like to see Andre Agassi win on the men's side.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 13th 2003, 3:05 pm

TomSpeed wrote:I'm pulling for Jennifer Capriati, Florida girl. I'd like to see Andre Agassi win on the men's side.
Damn You! :twisted:

Two of my least favorite players.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 14th 2003, 9:59 am

Nothingman wrote:I don't mind wimbledon, but since I only get the three major networks and pbs, I guess I'll be watching it. I know I'm behind, but why is Sampras not attending? And the Williams/Williams final is getting old, but I can't bring myself to ruit for Davenport, she's just too homely.
Ah,

Yet another soul without cable. I think ESPN is broadcasting some of Wimbledon.

Best,

Lance Man

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 16th 2003, 5:01 am

I will of course be cheering Tim on... but that's more of a British thing than any true belief that he might actually win. It's nailbiting stuff for us when we have a sportsperson who is actually in with even a remote shot at winning something... I mean, check out our national reaction to winning the olympic gold for scrubbing. Er, I mean, that sport with the puck, the stones with handles and two women with brooms trying to slow them down over the ice. :D Oh, curling. yeah.

Anyway, I never liked sampras. I know he went through alot and is a great player, but to me, he won too many times and basically looked like a dribbling gorilla. I know that's harsh but it's true.

My personal favourite for many years was Boris Becker. I remember when he won Wimbledon for the first time and it was incredible. The BBC has him in the commentary box now which is a good move IMHO... he says the funniest, most 'outthere' things. You can almost hear the other commentators (including McEnroe) thinking 'WTF is Boris on about??'. Hehe.

As for the women, I find the Williams sisters odious. Mr. S went to Wimbledon last year and saw them playing. He reckoned they are part human, part octopus, part ostrich. You decide :D Anyway, they are too intimidating and one of the things I used to like about women's tennis was the slower, more artful setting up of shots. Now it's like 'let's stand on the baseline and whoop some butt'.

I couldn't bear Hingis and frankly Kournikova is a waste of space (the BBC got their own back last year by broadcasting in full an interview where she behaved like a total a-hole). But Davenport is too ungainly to win. I'd like her to, but I just don't think she can. I'll pick someone later and let you know.

I've got to work the first week of wimbledon but hopefully I will get away with the same antics I did last year and plugged my headphones into my computer and listened to BBC Five Live... the whole of the second week I've booked holiday (not really to watch wimbledon, but it will be an interesting distraction).

Should we start an internet book?
My money's on Tim, of course.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 16th 2003, 8:58 am

Starbug,

Hope you have a blast.

Best,

Lance Man

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 24th 2003, 9:54 am

Well, big upset yesterday, what with Hewitt out. Hooray! Always like to see that happen :)

And Tim is on court right now. Where am I? stuck at work. Managed to catch a bit at lunch time but had to get back to the office. As usual, Tim is managing to screw it up in the second set. And the other guy is injured... Tim just isn't capitalising on the weakness of the other player. I think it all comes from that British reserve... come on Tim! Where's your fighting spirit?

Anyway, glorious sunshine and almost a whole week off next week - I usually make it home for the last match of the day but it just isn't the same without BBC, a cold drink, and nothing else to do...

As far as my preferred winner this year, it's still Tim. But if that's not possible, I'd like to see Agassi there. Maybe a Tim/Andre final. Yeah.

8)

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 24th 2003, 9:55 am

Oh yeah, and forgot to mention that I don't think Rusedski has a hope against Roddick. Upsetting, but hey.

Or Delgado against Agassi...

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 24th 2003, 10:29 am

starbug wrote:Well, big upset yesterday, what with Hewitt out. Hooray! Always like to see that happen :)

As far as my preferred winner this year, it's still Tim. But if that's not possible, I'd like to see Agassi there. Maybe a Tim/Andre final. Yeah.
What glorious news it was yesterday that Hewitt got knocked out :D :D I can not stand him.

Andre/Tim final?! Hee. Never.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 24th 2003, 10:40 am

fnordboy wrote:What glorious news it was yesterday that Hewitt got knocked out :D :D I can not stand him.

Totally cannot bear Hewitt - arrogant little so-and-so. I'm waiting for my Aussie colleague to get back to work tomorrow so I can rub it in. :D
fnordboy wrote:Andre/Tim final?! Hee. Never.
yeah, but only coz they're in the same half of the draw... :wink: They might meet in the quarters...

I think I can sense Tim's doom already.