2003 Stanley Cup Finals

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jun 12th 2003, 4:07 pm

The Rangers may as well have been playing golf all season, they sure couldn't play hockey. Besides golf is an individual sport, it might suit the Rangers players better because they sure couldn't play as a team. The best bet for a Rangers fan is to start praying that Glen Sather gets put in a home and someone with a brain comes in to replace him. It's sad to see one of the original six reduced to such ridiculousness. Either a miracle happens next season where they get better coach and solid goal tending, or the team is in for a major restructuring after the new CBA is worked out.

What do you guys think of the up coming Collective Bargaining Agreement? Some people are predicting there won’t be a 2004-2005 season, or that the chances on one happening are 50/50 at best. Neither side is anxious to come to the table. Commissioner Bettman refuses to discuss any changes in the game and remains vague on what his opinion are. My vote is move the goals back to where they were, get rid of the red line, and have shootouts after a 5 min overtime during the regular season. I think a salary cap is inevitable and that will make for some interesting trades and short term contracts this summer.

I received a survey from the NHL that discuss and “Ultimate Shootout”. This would be a shootout prior to the game where the top players would have exhibition shootout against the backup goaltenders from the other team. The shooters wouldn’t wear helmets so they would look pretty, and this whole event would have no affect on the outcome of the game. When I first started answering the survey I thought they were discussing a real shootout, but that’s the way Bettman operates. He’d rather address players skating around with pretty hair and glowing pucks that get down to the real issues.

I know one thing, the league is going to get very interesting these next two years.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jun 12th 2003, 6:13 pm

IMO, the CBA is going to raise holy hell in the next few years. You're right - we may not even have an '04-'05 season, or it could be a half-season, like it was in 1995.

If I had a say in it, I'd launch Bettman out an office window and bring in fresh blood. People who are more interested in the sport as functioning, attractive sport and not just a mainstay. He's stale and isn't proactive in keeping the League in tight and working order.

That and kick the playoffs back to way they were. The fact that hockey ends in JUNE is mind-blowing. Then again, how many teams are we up to?

I would endorse a salary cap. Why not? I don't think high priced players should earn so much that it hurts the sport. What kind of player is that? He gets paid but the team and league suffer because other teams can't afford to do the same.

I don't want to beat on them (or make fnordboy think I'm taunting him), but look at the Rangers. They have a high volume of cash, and only seem to be interested in marquee players (which, in turn, divides the team). The Devs don't have a lot of cash, and they work with their best commodity; talent. Raw talent. Rupp proved that for the hundreth time. The Devs can draw upon the River Rats (farm league) and get solid players.

The Rangers, as well as a lot of the flashy, pricey teams don't have that because they rely too much on cash to bring in talent from outside.

It's going to be a very bumpy ride, and I hope the league doesn't go to hell in a hand basket because it fails to see how short-sighted it has become. We don't need flashy hockey shootouts, we need solid gameplay and someone who can engineer that and maintain it.

Gary

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Re: On the Eighth Day, He created the TRAP...

Post by dTheater » Jun 18th 2003, 12:44 am

GaryEA wrote:Three times in nines years. Any sign with the word "Hockeytown" can point to both Detroit and Jersey with little argument.
Yeah, but only they call Detroit "Hockeytown" because the people there actually like hockey. Although I don't know how true that is since all Red Wings fans disappear once their team gets knocked out.

As far as "dynasties" go; there can be no true dynasties in this day and age in the NHL, but I'd say the Devils surpassed the Wings in that category. That may be only a personal thing because as a Flyers fan, I see the Devils as unbeatable. But the Devils seem to go deep into the playoffs every year whereas the Wings have had some disappointing upsets.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jun 18th 2003, 12:47 am

Nothingman wrote:What do you guys think of the up coming Collective Bargaining Agreement? Some people are predicting there won’t be a 2004-2005 season, or that the chances on one happening are 50/50 at best. Neither side is anxious to come to the table. Commissioner Bettman refuses to discuss any changes in the game and remains vague on what his opinion are. My vote is move the goals back to where they were, get rid of the red line, and have shootouts after a 5 min overtime during the regular season.
They're seriously considering changing 5 minute OTs to 10 minutes, which I think would not solve any problems, but ties wouldn't be as frequent and 5-minute OTs are great as it is, so 10 minutes is double the excitement.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)