Username backstories

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Username backstories

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 21st 2003, 4:17 pm

We already have avatar backstories, so now let's hear about why everyone chose their usenames.

I can't wait to hear thel long explanations that people like megs, lance, sab, and mglenn have :wink:

You can also share stories of your other usernames if you like.

Contrary to popular belief, my name is not candy - I chose candygirl because I like candy. No joke.

:lol:

One of my email addresses is buttercup because

(1) The Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies
(2) Buttercup (of the Power Puff Girls) kicks ass
(3) buttercups are so bright and cheerful!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » May 21st 2003, 5:09 pm

Mine isn't that interesting. I had a guy friend in college who enjoyed adding an "s" to the end of people's names. My name is Megan, but I like Meg better. So when I was trying to think of a user name, Megs it was. Meg was already taken. :twisted:

I wonder why Debs is Debs? Same reason perhaps? :wink:

"As you wish!"
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » May 21st 2003, 5:14 pm

I need to go home. I didn't get that you were being sarcastic when you said you couldn't wait to hear the long explanaiton behind my name. I just now got it. I need sleep. :oops:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » May 21st 2003, 5:15 pm

I really like rubber duckies. They are fun and playful and remind me of my childhood. I gave rubber duckies out as favors at my sweet 16. They actually say my name and the day of the party. I have a collection of over 30 rubber ducks. Rubber duckies squeak, hence the name ducksqueak.
"Gee, you're beautiful when you're unconscious."
---Link in "Hairspray"

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » May 21st 2003, 5:19 pm

My username backstory makes no sense.

I started playing Monopoly online a few years ago. Players who used the Monopoly CD (the Westwood Version or Version 1, which is no longer made) met on the Westwood Server (which has since closed). I had a hard time coming up with a name that hadn't already been taken. I had a mild interest in NASCAR. The Racecar was my favorite Monopoly token. And I liked Speed Racer cartoons. I thought the name of one NASCAR driver sounded cool -- Lake Speed. Don't ask me why. Maybe it's the good ole Southern boy in me. Anyway, LakeSpeed had too many letters. MikeSpeed also had too many letters. After a few random first names, I put in TomSpeed. It worked. So, that's how I got the name TomSpeed. I've been Tom, not Mike, on Westwood, and most other places in cyberspace, ever since.

Sometimes, I use the name tigermike. Clemson is my alma mater. It's mascot is a tiger. My real name is Mike.

I don't know. I might change my username to something else.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » May 21st 2003, 5:51 pm

Yeah, "sab" isn't really an exciting username :)

The only interesting thing is maybe that my two names actually mean the same: "Sascha" is just a russian nickname for "Alexander". My parents originally just wanted to name me "Sascha", but back in 1975, "Sascha" was not an allowed name for boys in Germany. So they had to find a second name (to make it clear on legal documents that I'm male)... quickly ... and all they came up with was "Alexander" :)

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » May 22nd 2003, 5:03 am

My username comes from the Red Dwarf TV series (like my avatar)... I was trying to think of something simple and recognisable that made a bit of sense but not too much... plus I love Red Dwarf :D

Unfortunately most forums I have tried to register at already have someone who got there first with Starbug. Ditto for a number of options (I like 'Ripley', 'Fury', 'Nostromo', and 'ChineseDemocracy').

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

meggrrrl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by meggrrrl » May 22nd 2003, 8:17 am

My name is Megan, but I go by Meg most of the time. Years ago when I was on aol, the screenname meggirl was already taken so I claimed meggrrrl. I liked the growling sound of it and the riot-grrrl connotation. (I also claimed meggrrl and meggrrrrl, so no one else would have a name too close to mine.) Since then I've been consistent with using that screenname everywhere I go, though I'm not even on aol anymore. It's hell to have to constantly spell my email address, it's too confusing. But easier than making a change!

By the way, Megs - did you notice that you and I are the same age, have the same name and live about 2 hours from each other? Weird!

Meg

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » May 22nd 2003, 8:27 am

You learn something new everyday... who knew that there were laws about naming children in Germany???

Anyway my first name is Mike, hence the "m". Last name Glenn, hence the mglenn. Not very orginal I know. As far as nicknames go my cousins always called me Gigs and some still do, which was short for Giggles McGlenn because I giggled alot as a child.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » May 22nd 2003, 9:04 am

meggrrrl wrote:By the way, Megs - did you notice that you and I are the same age, have the same name and live about 2 hours from each other? Weird!

Meg
I didn't realize we lived so close to each other! Strange! I always noticed that we were the same age. :D Where in MD do you live, if you don't mind me asking? I was just up in Towson last weekend. My brother and his fiance live up there.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » May 22nd 2003, 10:01 am

Nothingman is a title of a song by Pearl Jam, which i'm sure most of you already knew. I chose it because it was one of my favorite songs in highschool, and much of the time i felt like a nothingman. I figuered i'd pick a name that reflected my high school years.

once divided...nothing left to subtract...
some words when spoken...can't be taken back...
walks on his own...with thoughts he can't help thinking...
future's above...but in the past he's slow and sinking...
caught a bolt 'a lightnin'...cursed the day he let it go...
nothingman...
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

name

Post by lance » May 22nd 2003, 1:57 pm

Mine was simply enough,

my name is Lance.

Best,

Lance Man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » May 22nd 2003, 1:58 pm

But why the lower case "l", lance? And why not "Lance Man"?

:wink:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 22nd 2003, 2:08 pm

Inquiring minds want to know!

:D

Laziness (couldn't be bothered to stretch a pinky to the shift button)?

Modesty (very humble guy we're talking about here)?

Low self esteem (doesn't feel worthy of capital letters)?

Paranoia (capital letters will jump off the screen and eat your face!)?
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 22nd 2003, 2:33 pm

hmm my name. I don't know where it actually came from, I have been using it for a few years on several forums and the like. It has been one of my email addresses since, atleast, my site was created.

The "fnord" comes from the irreligion Discordia, and the writings of Robert Anton Wilson, primarily The Illuminatus! trilogy. Fnord is defined here, lol but that really won't be of much help...or will it ;) ?

i just added the "boy" on because a- i'm male and b- it seemed to go good.

I don't know.