Famous Quotes Aboout France

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Famous Quotes Aboout France

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 27th 2003, 1:06 pm

Here are some things to think about with France being in the news.

"Next time there's a war in Europe, the loser has to keep France!" ---John Lippman

"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes." ---Mark Twain

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."---General George S. Patton

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion." ---Norman Schwartzkopf

"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."---Marge Simpson

"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is sitting in Paris sipping coffee."---Regis Philbin

"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it."---John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona

"You know why the French don't want to bomb Saddam Hussein? Because he hates America, he loves mistresses and wears a beret. He is French, people."---Conan O'Brien

"I don't know why people are surprised that France won't help us get Saddam out of Iraq. After all, France wouldn't help us get the Germans out of France!"---Jay Leno

"The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it [the proof] came marching into Paris under a German flag."---David Letterman
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Mar 27th 2003, 1:29 pm

You know, I laugh at this a bit (lets not be coy, the french and the english haven't been on top terms for 100s of years).

But in the case of war against Iraq, I actually think France has a point. It's not about cowardice this time.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 27th 2003, 1:38 pm

There are many reasons why what happened happened. No doubt. But these jokes are funny. Any good jokes about Americans are welcome, too. Humor helps the world run more smoothly.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Mar 27th 2003, 1:55 pm

TomSpeed, thanks for posting that.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Mar 27th 2003, 11:08 pm

tomspeed wrote:Humor helps the world run more smoothly.
Humor keeps me sane. Anyone else?

(I think I liked Conan O'Brien's joke the best, by the way.)
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Mar 28th 2003, 8:01 am

"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is sitting in Paris sipping coffee."---Regis Philbin
And the only time America wants France to go to war is when the Redcoats are sitting in Boston sipping tea.

:wink:

http://www.statueofliberty.net/creation.html
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

humor

Post by lance » Mar 28th 2003, 10:49 am

TomSpeed,

Thanks for the humor. We definately need that right now.

On a more serious topic, as Nostradumus points out, without the French there would be no America. This point seems to be lost to many Americans right now.

Best,

Lance Man

sine
Three Rivers Resident

Post by sine » Mar 28th 2003, 2:45 pm

TomSpeed wrote:Any good jokes about Americans are welcome, too. Humor helps the world run more smoothly.
http://www.theonion.com
G: it's a problem, when everybody is spitting in the same spittoon (I mean cuspidor). are you following my drift?
D: barely, but let's pretend that I am

-- New Planet, Milwaukee Youth Center Choir

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Mar 28th 2003, 3:02 pm

Nostradamus wrote:
And the only time America wants France to go to war is when the Redcoats are sitting in Boston sipping tea.

:wink:

http://www.statueofliberty.net/creation.html
Thanks for the link. Very interesting read and very informative!
Last edited by Megs on Mar 28th 2003, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Mar 28th 2003, 3:06 pm

sine wrote:
TomSpeed wrote:Any good jokes about Americans are welcome, too. Humor helps the world run more smoothly.
http://www.theonion.com
Love The Onion! :jumplaugh:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Mar 28th 2003, 3:13 pm

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

onion

Post by lance » Mar 28th 2003, 6:23 pm

Yup,

The onion has been quite good of late, painfully funny.

Best,

Lance Man

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Mar 29th 2003, 4:26 am

Yeah, their recreation of the air war with the arcade classic, "Missile Command" was great.

:)
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Mar 29th 2003, 4:54 pm

I also loved the one headline that read something like:

"Susan Surrandon lost. We are still going to war."

:rofl:

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Mar 30th 2003, 8:29 am

How goofy/creepy is this?

In March of 2001, The Onion ran this now classic article about the sinister "Phase Two" of Starbucks. Included was the following description:
In each coffee shop's door hangs the familiar Starbucks logo, slightly altered to present the familiar mermaid figure as a cyclopean mermaid whose all-seeing eye forms the apex of a world-spanning pyramid.
Nearly two years later, the Defense Department's Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) released this article explaining their short-lived, though apparently genuine, logo for their Information Awareness Office. Included is the following description:
On an elemental level, the logo is the representation of the office acronym (IAO) the eye above the pyramid represents "I" the pyramid represents "A," and the globe represents "O."
(Emphasis in both quotes added by Nostradamus)

Life imitating art? :roll:
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain