blackstar

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

blackstar

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 6th 2003, 5:39 pm

Just wanted to know if anyone has ordered stuff from http://www.blackstar.co.uk before - I am venturing into the world of region free DVD players and found some movies available at blackstar, so I was wondering if they are more reputable than, say, another universe.

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Double Espresso
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Double Espresso » Jan 6th 2003, 6:23 pm

definately more reputable than AU, then again who isn't!!!

I've never ordered from them, but I know people who have, and they've never had a problem. They've also been doing business for over 2 years so I'm sure their'd be bad press about if they deserved any. I believe play.com is cheaper though, that said I dunno what you're after and I think Blackstar has more stuff yeah?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 6th 2003, 6:39 pm

Thanks for the info - play.com is definitely less expensive! I will definitely keep that in mind.

(I am embarrassed to admit that I couldn't wait so I ordered through blackstar and now I see that I would have saved $10+ if I had waited for a reply and ordered through play.com - damn my OCD!)

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 6th 2003, 7:49 pm

candygirl wrote:Thanks for the info - play.com is definitely less expensive! I will definitely keep that in mind.

(I am embarrassed to admit that I couldn't wait so I ordered through blackstar and now I see that I would have saved $10+ if I had waited for a reply and ordered through play.com - damn my OCD!)
what did you order? :D

BTW welcome to the world of region-free-dom

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 6th 2003, 8:13 pm

Another embarrassing detail of my foray into region-free-dom: I bought Breakin' (known as Breakdance in Europe) and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Ohhhh, the shame! My sister and I used to watch those movies all the time when we were young and they were rerun on cable. Can you believe that classic movies such as this have not been released on DVD in the US?

Laugh all you want, but "Freakshow on the Dance Floor" still brings me back to the sunny day when Adam introduces Kelly to Ozone and Turbo.

Besides, Breakin' introduced me to Ice-T. Yup I'm gonna keep rationalizing why I bought these damn movies. My guilty pleasures!

:oops:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 6th 2003, 8:41 pm

candygirl wrote:Another embarrassing detail of my foray into region-free-dom: I bought Breakin' (known as Breakdance in Europe) and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.
damn, i didn't know that they were released r2. Now i might have to make that purchase :D

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 6th 2003, 8:44 pm

Are you mocking me?

:wink:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 6th 2003, 9:03 pm

candygirl wrote:Are you mocking me?

:wink:
LOL I wish i was, but i was a huge fan of those movies too as was my girlfriend (though she prefers Krush Groove).

It is funny though, I recently watched B2:EB on tv and I always remembered the characters as being tough and cool. Wow was I completely wrong.

No way, Breakin 2 comes with a a "B-boy battle score sheet", you can not get a cooler extra than that (though the Heathers ruler almost ties it in coolness).

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 6th 2003, 9:25 pm

I thought that people admitting they liked the Mariah Carey Christmas song was a triumph, but this is bliss - someone else who would actually pay money to own a movie with the words "Electric Boogaloo" in the title!

I hadn't watched either movie for years - six or eight? I can't even remember the last time I watched them. Anyway, while I was home for Christmas, I pulled out our old copy of Breakin' (taped off HBO in the 80s) and watched it at 2am. I too remember thinking that Ozone was so tough and cool, but watching it again gave me some perspective. He's still cool though.

And the acting. Just watching Kelly say, "You're afraid!" made me cringe.

Anyway, I had known about the R2 DVDs since last year but I wasn't privy to all the region-free information that I now have at my fingertips :wink: so I was reluctant to buy them and then have no way of watching them. I pictured myself holding the case and touching the disc, then putting it away as I sang "You can be what you want to..."

After I bought the region free player for my dad, I figured what the heck? Time to move into the 21st century and scrap the piece of crap DVD player that I have now. I didn't even know about the B-boy battle score sheet until I looked at play.com today - you know I was excited when I saw that!

And I don't have a Heathers ruler - I tried to convince my sister to buy the special edition Heathers DVD for my birthday last year, but I ended up buying the regular version at Target. I was really looking forward to the mini yearbook.

*sigh*

I'll have to settle for my Breakin' score sheet. I bet it's freaking awesome!

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

blackstar

Post by lance » Jan 7th 2003, 10:16 am

Candygirl,

My good friend Mek has been ordering from Blackstar for years. He has never had any problems with them. He told me that they usually ship to him in under a week. So far he has ordered and received from them: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Seasons 2-5, Angel Seasons 1 & 2, South Park Seasons 1-4. He is currently waiting for South Park Season 5 which is being delayed due to Warner International.

This just in....he just handed me a packet of information on a good Region Free DVD player that you might want to look into. It is the JVC XV-S500BK Progressive Scan Code Free & Region Free DVD Player.

Hope this helps.

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: blackstar

Post by fnordboy » Jan 7th 2003, 10:22 am

lance wrote:This just in....he just handed me a packet of information on a good Region Free DVD player that you might want to look into. It is the JVC XV-S500BK Progressive Scan Code Free & Region Free DVD Player.
I actually have the JVC XV-SA602, and it is a great region free player. Played anything i've thrown at it, and has the best picture quality. Perfect PAL > NTSC conversion. Picked mine up from jvbdigital.com a few months back. Amazing player. Pricey when compared to the Cyber Home that does the same thing for only 60 bucks. But the quality is better by far.

I almost picked up the JVC S500 but opted for the 602 at the last minute, offered a fe wmore playability options (that i will probably rarely if ever use).

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Region Free

Post by lance » Jan 7th 2003, 10:33 am

Sweet.

Lance Man

MovieMac
Liberty High Student

Post by MovieMac » Jan 7th 2003, 9:31 pm

candygirl wrote:Another embarrassing detail of my foray into region-free-dom: I bought Breakin' (known as Breakdance in Europe) and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.
Just to let you know, Breakin' 2 has been announced for R1 today, but Breakin' (1) has not. Breakin' 2 will be released on April 15 by MGM along with quite a few more 80s musicals. Retail for all titles is $14.95.

Source: DVDFile

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 7th 2003, 9:39 pm

MovieMac wrote:
Just to let you know, Breakin' 2 has been announced for R1 today, but Breakin' (1) has not. Breakin' 2 will be released on April 15 by MGM along with quite a few more 80s musicals. Retail for all titles is $14.95.

Source: DVDFile
Unfortunately though, the R1 release is fullscreen only, though the R2 might be also, Blackstar didn't say on their site, and i'm too lazy too look elsewhere at this moment.

I do wonder if the R1 will have the same extras, if any. (hip-hop timeline, b-boy battle score sheet, cast and crew bios, phot gallery, and a how-to breakdance instructional)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

talk about timing!

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 8th 2003, 3:00 pm

No offense to Turbo's girlfriend (because she was really hot!), but if I had to choose only one of the Breakin' movies, it would be the original so I'm not TOO upset over the news. I'm kicking myself a little bit (still haven't bought the region free DVD player yet), but I'm okay with it. Must...keep...rationalizing...

(I can't believe that less than a week after I ordered these R2 DVDs, they announce that they are releasing one of the movies in R1 - grrrr!)