blackstar

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
MovieMac
Liberty High Student

Re: talk about timing!

Post by MovieMac » Jan 8th 2003, 4:13 pm

candygirl wrote: (I can't believe that less than a week after I ordered these R2 DVDs, they announce that they are releasing one of the movies in R1 - grrrr!)
Maybe you should order Buffy Seas. 4+5 from the UK too. Hopefully FOX will announce them for R1 one week later. :wink: :lol:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 8th 2003, 5:00 pm

I'm willing to take one for the team!

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 9th 2003, 10:55 am

candygirl wrote:I'm willing to take one for the team!

:wink:
Don't throw you in the Briar Patch?

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 9th 2003, 3:00 pm

Hurts so good!

:D

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 10th 2003, 2:55 pm

Well, my Breakin' videos arrived yesterday. I guess that means I really have to get off my butt now and buy a region free DVD player. Curse my metal body - I wasn't fast enough!

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 10th 2003, 3:03 pm

candygirl wrote:Well, my Breakin' videos arrived yesterday. I guess that means I really have to get off my butt now and buy a region free DVD player. Curse my metal body - I wasn't fast enough!

So what are the extras on the Breakin' dvd? Also is the B-boy battle score sheet as cool as one would expect?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 10th 2003, 3:39 pm

I haven't actually found out yet because I didn't have it shipped to my house (which is far back from the street so sometimes the neighbors get my packages or I find them sitting on the trunk of my car - since it was shipping internationally and I didn't know the carrier, I figured it was safer to have it delivered to a nice normal house) so I am going to pick it up tonight.

I will be back with a full report on how cool the packaging is. Once I get a region free player I will let you know about the graffiti showcase, breaking guide, bios, and photos.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 11th 2003, 9:44 pm

candygirl wrote:I haven't actually found out yet because I didn't have it shipped to my house (which is far back from the street so sometimes the neighbors get my packages or I find them sitting on the trunk of my car - since it was shipping internationally and I didn't know the carrier, I figured it was safer to have it delivered to a nice normal house) so I am going to pick it up tonight.

I will be back with a full report on how cool the packaging is. Once I get a region free player I will let you know about the graffiti showcase, breaking guide, bios, and photos.
Cool, look forward to the review :)

Other news: Krush Groove is coming out this week and is on sale at Best Buy for 12.99 (IIRC). Probably bare bones though.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 17th 2003, 4:50 am

Oooookay, time for my review.

First things first: I still don't have a region free player, but tonight it occurred to me to try watching the DVDs on a computer. I took the plastic off the DVD cases when I received them, but I didn't really look at them closely since I knew (or thought) I couldn't watch them yet. Tonight I saw that the DVDs are region free but in PAL format.

I was able to watch them on the laptop, but not on the regular DVD player or the PS2 (hey, I had to try). EB seemed like much poorer quality, but I thought that maybe the first one wasn't as bad and I had been so excited about getting it to play that I hadn't noticed initially. I also thought maybe it was the computer screen or something, so after watching both movies I put in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Sadly, the quality of EB just sucks ass.

As soon as EB began playing, I noticed that the first credit (some words on a blank screen) were centered but not staying still, kinda Blair Witch-ish. The picture was fuzzy, but again I blamed it on the computer. It was really noticeable during the credits, which I had a hard time reading. There are also obvious uhhhh things on the screen, probably from the original, but annoying nonetheless (dust marks, spots, etc).

I would have to watch the first movie again to be 100% sure, but I think the problem is really EB, not both.

Now onto the extras. I hate to break this to you, but they totally suck. That B-Boy Battle Score Sheet, which sounded totally cool, is totally lame. It looks like a smaller March Madness tournament bracket. There are even directions on how to use it. I kid you not. They also list eight judging "criteria's" (sic), including dance ability and originality. Yup.

I thought the "How to Breakdance" feature would, at the very least, be entertaining. No. It isn't a featurette. There is a list of six different moves. When you select one, instead of a video demonstration you get written directions.

I skimmed through the Hip Hop Timeline, but it was a bunch of words and a bunch of names that, quite honestly, I'm not entirely familiar with and I was beginning to get the gist of how "special" the special features were at that point (and not in a Special K kinda way either!).

The cast/crew biographies are taken straight off the http://www.fast-rewind.com website. I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, since they do have some decent info but we are talking WORD FOR WORD.

I guess this is about how disappointed I would have been if I hadn't known in advance that the MSCL set would have no extras. I am happy to have the movies, but man those supposed extras suck pretty hard.

I know some people think EB is better than the original, but man there was a whole heck of a lot of neon going on in the sequel! I stand by my original statement - if I had to choose only one, I would go with Breakin!

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 17th 2003, 12:10 pm

:( that sucks. Now I will have to think twice about picking this up. I can't believe the extras blow that much.

I'm sure the quality sucks so bad because they probably just took the vhs master and slapped it on the DVD. They do that a little for small unimportant (in their eyes) things.

Oh well.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Blackstar

Post by lance » Jan 17th 2003, 1:37 pm

Candygirl,

Any ETA on your region free player?

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 17th 2003, 4:33 pm

I would like to add that I did have my eyes peeled for the much talked about Jean Claude Van Damme/Lela Rochon cameos. Lela (Ozone's real life wife at the time) was more visible in EB as one of Rhonda's friends, but JC ooooh. I thought he would just be in the background and I would have to look really hard for him. Oooh noooooo. He is very visible in the scene at Venice Beach. He is wearing a black spandex biketard kinda thing and dancing like the dorkiest dork you ever saw. Man, I watched the scene the first time for content (mostly Kelly, Adam, Turbo, and Ozone dancing) and then watched it again just to focus on Van Damme. It was heeeee-larious!!

P.S. ETA on the region free player: February! :D

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 3rd 2003, 3:31 pm

Just ordered my Cyber Home DVD player from Best Buy last night - they are selling it for $70 again!

Question for fnordboy, Mek, and other R2 buyers - are there any appreciable differences in DVDs that are released both R1 and R2? For example Buffy S1-3, are any of the special features different?

P.S. B2:EB is fullscreen in R2 as well, so I say just wait for the R1 release which will be less expensive and hopefully higher quality.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 3rd 2003, 3:42 pm

Congrats on your new purchase :)

Well yes there are sometimes considerable differences between R1 and R2, R3, R4 ...etc releases. Ranging from different extras to anamorphic widescreen, different audio (DTS, 5.1, etc.). Also, running times might be different. Some regions will get a movie uncut, while others will have it edited slightly. Some places might edit out the gore or violence and others the sex. Always make sure that the movie either comes in english or with english subs. I know France has a lot of releases without an english option, which sucks.

From my experience it seems differences are found more on the 'cult' films than the blockbusters. Generally for major studio releases you're safest with an R1 release.

This is usually a good site to see the differences between releases: http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/ but right now it seems to be not working :(

If you come across any movie you have a question about ask me, I might know, or someone else around here might. As far as Buffy, I don't think there is that much of a difference.

Edit: jsut found another place seems ok - http://www.bytesandbobs.com/dvdcompare/default.asp

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 3rd 2003, 5:46 pm

Thanks for all the info - I will definitely check out those comparisons!