The good old days of early computers

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
pgh kenny
Angelica

The good old days of early computers

Post by pgh kenny » Dec 5th 2002, 2:07 pm

ADMIN EDIT: This off-topic thread has been splitted/created from a topic in the DVD section. Sascha.

don't be messin' with the commodore 64... that was one nifty little computer. i don't play computer games anymore, but back in the day, I played games on my commodore 64 all the time. back then programmers had style. now were stuck with microsoft spyware. all is forgiven if you agree to retract and state that anyone with a vic 20 could have designed something better. :) and yes, i do think the menus are lame, but i'm happy to be able to throw away my decaying vhs tapes.
fnordboy wrote:
A chimp and a commodore 64 could have designed something better.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: Menu Screen

Post by fnordboy » Dec 5th 2002, 2:13 pm

Agreed man the 64 rocked, though when i got my Commodore 128D it kicked the 64's ass :P

C64 games...i was really into the game Jawbreaker, did you ever play that? It was a pacman rip off with a dental bend to it. Sweet game (heh pun wasnt entirely intended ;) )

And i had this one game that was awesome i forgot the name of it i think i had it on the 128D, it was i think the first talking computer game, it was kinda like spy hunter...damnit i cant believe i cant remember the name. I probably still have it laying around too... :lol:

And ditto art wise the set blows but atleast we got it on dvd.
pgh kenny wrote:don't be messin' with the commodore 64... that was one nifty little computer. i don't play computer games anymore, but back in the day, I played games on my commodore 64 all the time. back then programmers had style. now were stuck with microsoft spyware. all is forgiven if you agree to retract and state that anyone with a vic 20 could have designed something better. :) and yes, i do think the menus are lame, but i'm happy to be able to throw away my decaying vhs tapes.
fnordboy wrote:
A chimp and a commodore 64 could have designed something better.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 5th 2002, 2:21 pm

Hey, I had a Commodore Vic20 with the "Hit the Mole" game. Yup, kinda like the big game at Chuck E. Cheese with the hammer except on the screen. No actual physical violence :evil:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 5th 2002, 2:24 pm

candygirl wrote:No actual physical violence :evil:
That could explain all the repressed anger you have :twisted: :wink:

Besides thats what siblings are for :lol:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 5th 2002, 2:59 pm

My sisters and I used to cheat at the mole game at the arcade. The spider squashing game was also cool. Physical violence is a good way to wear kids out.

:D

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Dec 5th 2002, 3:28 pm

okay so com 64 memories are more fun than the mscl menus!

favorite c64 games:

legacy of the ancients
forbidden forest
winter games
summer games
test drive
marble madness
the quest for the holy grail

favorite application:
GEOS (Geoworks)

i think you can play/download most of the c64 games by downloading a c64 emulator. i never moved up to the 128 or amiga.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 5th 2002, 3:37 pm

We also had some pre-Sims kind of game where some guy was trying to solve a crime and you had to type in commands to tell him what to do. The biggest problem was the limited vocabulary, so if you used an unfamiliar verb he would reply, "I don't know how to do that." The best experience I had with that game was when I figured out I could make him jump out the window. He said something about flying off to Neverland because I made him commit suicide? And for the life of me I can't remember the name of that game.

MartinPierre
Yearbook Team

Post by MartinPierre » Dec 5th 2002, 4:44 pm

My favorite games on the Commodore 64 were Maniac Mansion and Laser Squad...

We used to play team laser squad in my house.

It was a game where two teams fought each other, usually to the death.

Each team had members with names and abilities and you would equip them at the beginning of the mission.

Then, the game would begin. Each character had action points, and you would be able to play until the point where out.

Example :

moving forward : 1 point
Moving backward : 2 point
Turning 45 degress : 1/2 point
Shootting with a sub-machine gun :
- 1 shot, no aim : 3 points
- 1 shot, little aim : 9 points
- 1 shot, aiming : 20 points
- rafale, 3 shots : 8 points
etc...

What was the coolest was that you could only see your players, and what your players saw !!!

So, when your turn ended or when you were surprised in an ambush, a screen would say :

"Please turn control over to player 2"

So, we would split in 2 teams, and leave the room when the other played.

I think we played until 1990 or something, with my C64 dedicated to the game !!!

DoubleBilled
Three Rivers Resident

Post by DoubleBilled » Dec 7th 2002, 2:45 am

Anytime you guys want to talk C-64, thats ok by me.

I loved Impossible Mission. "Ah we have a visitor. Stay awhile.....stay forever!!!"

And you could go to Target, buy a 300bps modem for $29.95 and shove it in the back of the C-64 and you had the most incredible world just open up to you. I got into SO much trouble in '84-'85 with that computer and modem it's not funny....

...well it is now. Screw you phone company!

db

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

Post by So-Called Loon » Dec 7th 2002, 11:22 am

pgh kenny wrote:don't be messin' with the commodore 64... that was one nifty little computer. i don't play computer games anymore, but back in the day, I played games on my commodore 64 all the time. back then programmers had style. now were stuck with microsoft spyware. all is forgiven if you agree to retract and state that anyone with a vic 20 could have designed something better. :) and yes, i do think the menus are lame, but i'm happy to be able to throw away my decaying vhs tapes.
fnordboy wrote: A chimp and a commodore 64 could have designed something better.
:shock: Ahhh!

Commodore thrashed the Atari market with that piece of trash by fooling people into thinking it wasn't! I seem to remember that it couldn't even scroll a screen of text without flickering, and the disk drive was slower than a tape recorder. Now the Atari 800 was a computer! But it met with an untimely death. :( :wink:

But i also think it should have been: A chimp and a ZX-81 could have designed something better.
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Dec 7th 2002, 11:29 am

I ran a BBS on an Atari 800 for a short time. My modem was 300 baud (I can type faster), and my modem had no rind detection so I had to build a ring detector (from a kit). The thing hooked up to the joystick port. When the phone rang, it sent a signal to the joystick port and it knew to pick up the phone.

A friend of mine ran a BBS where two people could dial in at the same time. TWO! You could chat and everything!

Man, those were the days.
So-Called Loon wrote:
fnordboy wrote: A chimp and a commodore 64 could have designed something better.
:shock: Ahhh!

Commodore thrashed the Atari market with that piece of trash by fooling people into thinking it wasn't! I seem to remember that it couldn't even scroll a screen of text without flickering, and the disk drive was slower than a tape recorder. Now the Atari 800 was a computer! But it met with an untimely death. :( :wink:

But i also think it should have been: A chimp and a ZX-81 could have designed something better.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Aug 19th 2004, 7:34 am

candygirl wrote:We also had some pre-Sims kind of game where some guy was trying to solve a crime and you had to type in commands to tell him what to do. The biggest problem was the limited vocabulary, so if you used an unfamiliar verb he would reply, "I don't know how to do that." The best experience I had with that game was when I figured out I could make him jump out the window. He said something about flying off to Neverland because I made him commit suicide? And for the life of me I can't remember the name of that game.
I came across this quote in an interview with "Sim" guru Will Wright:
Reporter: If there were one moment from gaming you'd put in a time capsule to represent the 20th century of interactive entertainment, what moment would it be and why?

Will: You are in a dark cave. There is a passageway to the north. The floor is littered with rocks.

> pickup rock

I don't know how to do that.

You are in a dark cave. There is a passageway to the north. The floor is littered with rocks.

> get rock

I don't see a rock here.

You are in a dark cave. There is a passageway to the north. The floor is littered with rocks.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Aug 19th 2004, 10:41 am

I remember playing an early version of Leisure Suit Larry that was a lot like that.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

kenickie
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kenickie » Oct 10th 2004, 3:05 am

Oh my god - the C64 was my fave computer!!!! We never had one so I used to play on my friends all the time :D

I got one a few years later and painted it black (except the keys lol :P )
I've still got it along with it's 1541 disk drive... I used to love playing Creatures 1 and 2, Mayhem In Monsterland and the Dizzy games were cool too!

If you like C64 you could go here http://www.lemon64.com/
Let's make the memories that dreamers only claim,
But it's hard, when the world knows your name.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Oct 10th 2004, 3:43 am

Good to see you around again, kenickie.

:D
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain