Soda or pop?

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Soda or pop?

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 11th 2002, 3:11 pm

Quiz time!
Jason Rosenfeld wrote:Do you call what you wear to work out: gym shoes or sneakers?

When I tell some people I got a new pair of sneakers, they are like "what the hell are sneakers?" I think that their are lots of words like that.

Catsup, Ketchup (though homonyms, hehe)
Wanker, Rojek
Pie, Pizza
Versateller, Mac Machine, ATM

When I first moved out of NY (I am back in NY again, though), I called a pizzeria and ordered a "pie" and they didn't know what I was talking about.
Just for the sake of allowing people to mock on a regional basis, confess!

I was born in Chicago but now live in California so I have a combo pack:
pop, sneakers, ketchup, Rojerk, pizza, ATM

When I moved to California, I noticed that a lot of people pronounce the short i sound almost like a short e sound, so pillow sounds more like pellow. One of my teachers (a California native) pronounced bag as baig.

I want to hear everyone else's answers to Jason's "you talk funny" quiz. Feel free to add other examples - like "punch buggy" as opposed to "slug bug."

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Dec 11th 2002, 3:49 pm

In St. Louis we call soda ...soda. I have friends in K.C. and they call soda...pop. I also have family in Iowa and they call soda....pop. We call 'tennis shoes' ...rubbers. (as opposed to leather soled shoes i guess) I think when I was a kid we called tennis shoes...sneakers. Where is that quiz by Jason?
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

soda vs pop

Post by lance » Dec 11th 2002, 4:04 pm

Hey all,

Let's see:

Soda, jerk (Rojek), pizza, ketchup, ATM, elevator, truck, mom

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 11th 2002, 4:32 pm

K-man wrote:We call 'tennis shoes' ...rubbers.
Heh...there is a really good joke there but I just can't grasp it. :twisted:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 11th 2002, 4:36 pm

Well, I was told about a certain adult film where one of the characters gasped, "GIVE ME YOUR SHOE!" at a particular moment.

:shock:

Which reminds me of the scene in the Zit - "He's, like, making her beg for her shoe!"

(Rickie's response: "Wow, I never heard of that!")

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: Soda or pop?

Post by fnordboy » Dec 11th 2002, 4:37 pm

Jason Rosenfeld wrote:Do you call what you wear to work out: gym shoes or sneakers?

When I tell some people I got a new pair of sneakers, they are like "what the hell are sneakers?" I think that their are lots of words like that.

Catsup, Ketchup (though homonyms, hehe)
Wanker, Rojek
Pie, Pizza
Versateller, Mac Machine, ATM

When I first moved out of NY (I am back in NY again, though), I called a pizzeria and ordered a "pie" and they didn't know what I was talking about.
Sneakers
Catsup/Ketchup = EVIL
Pizza or Pie...depends on the situation
ATM or Mac Machine...never heard Versateller before...

BTW im located in North Eastern NJ on the border of Manhattan... IE Sopranos land if that helps.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Dec 11th 2002, 6:29 pm

Delightful thread!

Let's see. Born and raised in North New Jersey, in the same area fnordboy is from, only I've practically got the Sopranos in my back yard (the house is in the next town :)).

Sneakers. (I haven't been in gym since 12th grade.)

Soda or cola (I've heard of "soda pop", and I'm assuming it's where the other half of the country got "pop" from)

Pizza/pie ("Do you want pizza or fish tonight?", or "I'd like to order a pie, large, with extra cheese and mushrooms")

Ketchup

Rojek is just Rojek. I can't think of another word that describe him best. Well, "criminal" might work...

Elevator.

MAC or ATM.

And here's one that always confused me; When the heck did "little league" baseball become "Pop Warner"? I don't understand the phrase...

Dumpster (instead of "skip" - if I got the spelling correct. I think I watch too much Ground Force!)

I spell "color" and "neighbor" without a "u" in them. And I say "herb" without pronunciating the "h", despite, as Eddie Izzard says, that "there's a f***ing 'h' in it".

Finally, I say "Tren-un" instead of "Trent-on", much to the chagrin of my girlfriend.

Gary
p.s. sorry for the cursing (not "cussing")

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Dec 11th 2002, 7:02 pm

GaryEA wrote: Rojek is just Rojek. I can't think of another word that describe him best. Well, "criminal" might work...
Heh...don't tempt me..... :twisted:

Dumpster (instead of "skip" - if I got the spelling correct. I think I watch too much Ground Force!)
Ground Force is one of the best shows on TV. I can not get enough of it.
I spell "color" and "neighbor" without a "u" in them. And I say "herb" without pronunciating the "h", despite, as Eddie Izzard says, that "there's a f***ing 'h' in it".
First off Eddie Izzard rules. I too say erb not herb (unless it is someones name...then it is Herb). Colour and Neighbour are from my understanding the brit version...in otherwards WRONG ;) ...but i spell gray with an E (Grey) just because to me it fits the color better :) .
p.s. sorry for the cursing (not "cussing")

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Dec 11th 2002, 7:29 pm

I'm from dallas and we call every soda drink coke, as "what do want to drink?" "coke" "coke can mean pepsi, dr. pepper, coca-cola, r.c. cola" Oh and I spell colour with a u also because my mom taught me how to spell it and she is from england.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Dec 11th 2002, 7:54 pm

Ground Force is one of the best shows on TV. I can not get enough of it.
I watched it for the first time during a marathon on BBC America. It's funny as hell. I missed the Manhattan episodes though (hope they air it again).
First off Eddie Izzard rules.
"Cake or death?"
"Uh, cake please."
"Very well. Give him cake."
Colour and Neighbour are from my understanding the brit version...in otherwards WRONG :wink:
Oh, you're on your own there... :D
but i spell gray with an E (Grey) just because to me it fits the color better. :lol:
See, I spell it with the "a". Just looks better to me. Maybe I had a demented set of Crayolas...

A-HA! Here's a train of thought that ties in with what girl_from_texas said; Do you use brand names or the actaul name of the product?

Is it "Crayons" or "Crayolas"?
"Bandage" or "Band-Aid"?
"Glass cleaner" or "Windex"?
"Tape" or "Scotch tape"?
"Marker", "Magic Marker" or "Sharpie"?

(I use the second choices on everything except I use "crayons", plus I order a lot of Diet Coke.)

If I think of more, I'll chime in.

-g

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 11th 2002, 8:21 pm

Q-tips or cotton swabs? :wink:

Xerox or copier?

Pop Warner runs the young kids football equivalent. I'm between the ages of knowing kids who play little league and having kids you are little leage age, so I'm not sure what's going on in terms of the names. When I was that age, football was called Pop Warner.

I checked the Official Pop Warner website and they list football and cheer/dance (no baseball), so I would guess that calling little league "Pop Warner" is the all encompassing word for "kids sports" these days.

Bubba
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Bubba » Dec 11th 2002, 11:29 pm

girl_from_texas wrote:I'm from dallas and we call every soda drink coke, as "what do want to drink?" "coke" "coke can mean pepsi, dr. pepper, coca-cola, r.c. cola" Oh and I spell colour with a u also because my mom taught me how to spell it and she is from england.
Someone else who says "Coke." Joy. :)

Actually, I have a theory about that: since Coca-Cola originated in Georgia, it's reasonable that the term so dominates the South.
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. And above all things... Love.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 11th 2002, 11:42 pm

Coke
Sneakers
Ketchup
Mac
Pizza

Born and raised in Eastern PA.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Dec 11th 2002, 11:52 pm

Q-tips or cotton swabs?

Xerox or copier?
Good ones. I opt for Q-tip and "copy", with the machine being the copier.
Pop Warner runs the young kids football equivalent. I'm between the ages of knowing kids who play little league and having kids you are little leage age, so I'm not sure what's going on in terms of the names. When I was that age, football was called Pop Warner.

I checked the Official Pop Warner website and they list football and cheer/dance (no baseball), so I would guess that calling little league "Pop Warner" is the all encompassing word for "kids sports" these days.
Thanks for the clarification. As far as I know, the term is not used in my area - it's little league no matter what the sport is. I remember the kids my age who played football played "little league".

I only saw the term once or twice when I was a kids sports photographer. The people I worked for was based near my home and it was only until I ventured into Western Jersey and into NY or even CT that the term popped up. The kids kept correcting me when the familar term passed my lips ("It's Pop Warner!!").

Ah, kids. :lol:

-g

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 12th 2002, 12:03 am

Q-tips
Copier

I have never heard of Pop Warner. That's a new one.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."