found on the web ...

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 12th 2005, 6:44 pm

A different kind of pinup calendar!
Physics Nobel Prize winner Tony Leggett didn't hesitate when he was asked to pose as Mr. January in a pinup calendar.

Not your typical pinup, Leggett's buff brain fronts a 2006 calendar from the University of Illinois that features some of the school's famous and not-so-famous gray matter.

The calendar uses MRIs to show the brains of a dozen people who work or study at the school's Urbana-Champaign campus, including Chancellor Richard Herman, women's basketball coach Theresa Grentz and Kai Nielsen, a carpenter in the campus maintenance shop.

The idea behind the calendar was to help raise the profile of the school's Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, known for its cutting-edge studies of intelligence, computers and nanotechnology.

''It's certainly not the usual way of us promoting our work,'' said Beckman director Pierre Wiltzius, whose own brain scan is part of the calendar.

The 2006 Big Brains on Campus calendar highlights a different brain function or ability each month. Leggett's brain, for example, depicts ingenuity and genius; Herman's shows arteries of the brain that provide it with energy.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 12th 2005, 9:21 pm

I wish they had a link to a picture of a brain/one of the months. That would have been cool!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Dec 19th 2005, 4:51 pm

I'm sort of behind the times apparently, but my friend showed me this site called youtube.com. where basically anyone can upload any kind of video clip.

search for Asian Backstreet Boys

also, a cool film is c'était un rendez-vous, a french filmmaker in 1978 drove through the streets of Paris without stopping, it's pretty cool.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Dec 21st 2005, 4:52 am

emmie wrote: also, a cool film is c'était un rendez-vous, a french filmmaker in 1978 drove through the streets of Paris without stopping, it's pretty cool.
I own this on DVD! I bought it for Mr. S because it was shown as a preview at a film we went to see a few years ago. It is pretty cool. Legend has it that when the film was released the film-maker was arrested.
It is unbelievable to watch.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Dec 21st 2005, 2:04 pm

found this story on the net. starbug has probably already heard about it. I just thought it was a nice christmas story, someone doing something nice just because. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051221/od_ ... n_santa_dc

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 30th 2006, 11:53 pm

http://www.pandora.com

These music nerds (and I mean that in the coolest way possible) analyzed songs based on the instruments, rhythms, etc. You enter a song or artist and they will let you listen to songs (in their entirety) that are structurally similar. You can then give feedback about whether you like each selection and they will adjust the subsequent songs on the playlist. Very cool!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Feb 28th 2006, 4:26 pm

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Mar 20th 2006, 6:21 pm

candygirl wrote:www.pandora.com

These music nerds (and I mean that in the coolest way possible) analyzed songs based on the instruments, rhythms, etc. You enter a song or artist and they will let you listen to songs (in their entirety) that are structurally similar. You can then give feedback about whether you like each selection and they will adjust the subsequent songs on the playlist. Very cool!
Thanks for this link candygirl! This site is awesome - its my new favorite! Everyone should check it out! :D

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

2006 Soccer World Cup

Post by Sascha » May 5th 2006, 8:41 am

One of the world's largest sporting events is just about month away ... and it's getting more and more crazy over here in Germany. Officials expect more than one million visitors from all over the world in June/July for the Soccer World Cup. And everybody gears up to profit from this huge event ... just look at this blog to see how it's like to go shopping in Germany these days...

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » May 10th 2006, 4:21 am

I loathe football.
Of course, in England it is the only sport that gets any attention. And the attention right now is overwhelming. It makes me want to throw up - every single advertisement has a football angle in some way.

I can only imagine what non-football-loving Germans are going through at the moment. I looked at that blog with tears of sympathy in my eyes. Gah!

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 26th 2006, 6:45 pm

I'm a pretty militant activist for reproductive freedom, but I'm not that sure if I can really get behind this recent campaign tactic. :shock:
http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/elections/creatures2/
(Does it count as "found" on the web if NARAL emailed it to me?)

Actually, now that I've watched it two times I think it's kinda funny. "Roe-gone's conservasonic screams" :mrgreen: Anyway, the really glory in this is the sound effects; pretty rad.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 28th 2006, 6:48 pm

How to fold a t-shirt perfectly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mifnwhRlf8

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 1st 2006, 5:27 am

Aren't kids fun? :D

found at http://princo.wordpress.com/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 1st 2006, 5:38 pm

Holy crap!

:shock:

Although to be fair, I feel I should confess some of the terrible things I did as a child:

(1) After being sent to "the corner" for a time out one too many times, I convinced my sister we should glue some of the Sunday comics to the wall in said corner so we would have something to read the next time we were punished. I don't think it ever came completely off the wall despite my mom's scrubbing.

(2) Wanted to go ice skating, but my mom was taking a nap and said we could go later. Convinced my sister we could go ice skating in the house. Proceeded to coat the entire bathroom floor (linoleum) with a bottle of baby oil. Put on socks and skidded around the bathroom until my mom woke up and saw what we'd done.

(3) We liked playing Annie, which we usually did by singing songs from the Broadway soundtrack album and then making a cleaning implement out of Legos and pretending to scrub the brick fireplace. One day dusting seemed like an orphan chore to do, so my sister and I coated most of the major appliances (piano, tv, massive stereo cabinet - anything made out of wood or faux wood) with baby powder and then wiped it off with our baby blankets.

:diabolo:

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Snakes on Claire Danes

Post by Sascha » Aug 17th 2006, 8:52 am

"Snakes, A Plane and Claire Danes = Snakes on Claire Danes."

There's a fan-made parody/mash-up of "Snakes on a plane", "Brokedown Palace", "Terminator 3" and "Shopgirl" featuring Claire Danes on YouTube. They even managed to put the MSCL theme in there :-). Not particularly well executed (it's barely funny IMHO), but I find it interesting that Claire has obviously gained such popularity that people actually consider her for parodies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfvEL8Xai_Y

BTW: There's a lot MSCL-related stuff to be found on YouTube. Mostly fan-made music videos. Probably not 100% legal though...