MSCL Marathon Continued

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

MSCL Marathon Continued

Post by Jason R » Sep 9th 2002, 2:02 pm

Well, it seems like I killed the other thread or something.

15 minutes left! I get to sleep soon! ra!

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Sep 9th 2002, 2:15 pm

OK.

I will post more later, when I am a little more rested up.

AIX and BMG have done an excellent job with the authoring.

Now it is up to them to press this, and all eyes turn to AU.com to get this quickly into your hands.

Debs
Liberty High Student

Post by Debs » Sep 9th 2002, 2:42 pm

Hi Jason -

Very well done with the marathon. Good to see your face earlier; it's nice to know that you're real. Sorry about my abrupt departure, my computer kicked me out of the room.

Get some well deserved kip and...
dance by the light of the moon. :shock:

PS: Oh and to K in Durham - a marathon???
Mom. Streamers?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Sep 9th 2002, 2:48 pm

I can't wait to have my own MSCL marathon, I am driving my husband crazy!

Thanks for the play by play, Jason.

:D
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

kenickie
Three Rivers Resident

shibby

Post by kenickie » Sep 9th 2002, 3:21 pm

Debs - An MSCL marathon? Why not. As long as you're not a serial killer... That would suck.
Let's make the memories that dreamers only claim,
But it's hard, when the world knows your name.

Debs
Liberty High Student

Post by Debs » Sep 9th 2002, 4:49 pm

Kenickie - nah, it's like I told the jury, I'm a good girl now...
Mom. Streamers?

Highlander
Tino

UK marathon

Post by Highlander » Sep 12th 2002, 8:17 am

Need a new thread...! :P

I would offer the services of my video projector! 8)
Jase
"Victims; aren't we all?"

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Sep 14th 2002, 2:53 pm

Question: how much does that surround sound usually cost and how is it set up? I'm under the impression that it's thousands of dollars and consists of an intricate web of speakers all over your house.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

GordLacey
TVShowsOnDVD.com

Post by GordLacey » Sep 14th 2002, 6:18 pm

dTheater wrote:Question: how much does that surround sound usually cost and how is it set up? I'm under the impression that it's thousands of dollars and consists of an intricate web of speakers all over your house.
You can find surround sound packages (5 speakers) for a few hundred dollars. Here's what you'll need:

A receiver capable of playing 5.1 (or 6.1) surround sound. Look for the Dolby Digital and/or DTS logos on it, or ask a salesman. Dolby Digital and DTS are competing sound formats. Most, or all, receivers will handle Dolby Digital audio, and most will also do DTS. Dolby Digital is found on more DVDs (it's pretty much the standard), but some people feel DTS is better (I won't get into this argument here).

You'll also want to get two front speakers, two rear speakers and a center speaker. An optional speaker is the sub (the .1 in 5.1) which is only used for low-frequency bass. Some newer receivers have 6.1 surround sound; the extra speaker is a center rear channel.

DVDs are MUCH better with surround sound. Go to a local Best Buy and ask them to demonstrate a system to you. It doesn't have to cost a lot, but the more money you spend, the better it will be.

Hope that helps!

Gord

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Sep 14th 2002, 9:31 pm

I am by no means a sound expert, but I thought this might be relevant. I have one of the convertable systems that can be used as either a three speaker or a five speaker unit. Due to space concerns I have always used the three speaker format. When I played my old MSCL dvd on this system, it sure sounded like surround to me. Is it possible to hear surround on a three speaker system, or am I just mistaken because I haven't heard it on the full five? :?
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Sep 14th 2002, 10:07 pm

if you had 2 speakers behind you and the center speaker up front, it might have sounded a bit like surround.

however, the 5 speaker kind is cool. you get ambient sound in the background.
Nostradamus wrote:I am by no means a sound expert, but I thought this might be relevant. I have one of the convertable systems that can be used as either a three speaker or a five speaker unit. Due to space concerns I have always used the three speaker format. When I played my old MSCL dvd on this system, it sure sounded like surround to me. Is it possible to hear surround on a three speaker system, or am I just mistaken because I haven't heard it on the full five? :?

rainydayjanes
Nicky Driscoll

Post by rainydayjanes » Sep 15th 2002, 12:07 pm

When I was in college, we had a TV, stereo and speakers in the band office (along with some fugly couches) that we "needed" in order to "review performance tapes"... anyway, some senior bequeathed the band a set of speakers on his way out of town, and so we put the older ones in the back of the room, hooked up the new ones in the front, and (I think) ran the TV sound through the stereo to the speakers. We watched Top Gun and Back to the Future at least twice a day for the next week. It was very college, but also very cheap, and you definitely got the really cool effect of hearing the DeLorean in front of you and then behind you. I can't tell you how to put it together, but I know it can be done. It's probably cooler if you do it right, not to mention easier, since I imagine it would come with instructions, but if you get enough nerds and AV equipment together in one place, these things happen... :D

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Sep 18th 2002, 11:27 pm

I always thought that the surround system just simulated surround sound; that you weren't actually surrounded by speakers. As my DVD collection grows by the minute, the next step is surround sound, but there's no room between me and the living room wall that I sit in front of.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

jellybean
Jody Barsh

Post by jellybean » Sep 19th 2002, 3:26 am

Normally for surround sound the speakers need to "surround" you as the name implies, but there are a few things you can now get that give you virtual surround sound from only two speakers. If you use Windows media player you have probably heard of SRS WOW (go to the "now playing" tab. Anyway, why I'm posting is to let you know that you can now get DVD players and TVs that do this sort of virtual surround http://www.srslabs.com/ConsumerProductB ... p?TechID=5

Your other option is to fork out some money and get some BOSE speakers - they are very tiny (8cm square!) but very powerful with excellent quality. The bass module is a bit bigger but it doesn't matter where you put it so you can hide it behind the TV.

HTH

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 19th 2002, 3:17 pm

Bose speakers are amazing. If there is a Bose store in your area, sit through their little presentation in the back of the store. I couldn't believe so much sound came from such a tiny little box.

My OCD does not extend to a surround system or even a huge stereo system, but I was impressed with their presentation. My friends and I just went in because it was hot and we were being goofy. After the ten minutes of incredible sound, I was ready to buy a Bose system.

:wink:

I'm an easy sell!