To Jason:What about French subtitles???

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Renaud1

To Jason:What about French subtitles???

Post by Renaud1 » Aug 25th 2002, 9:58 am

Hi Jason...

Welcome back...I hope that you had a wonderful time... I've asked you a few months ago if there would be French subtitles on the DVD and you gave me this great answer "YES"...But I do not see in the technical informations any french subtitles...so I'm a little bit worried...
I have another problem :I do not know if it's possible but could you verifie if I've been charged...my name is Renaud Bellet...and my bank do not see any charge during the 2 last month...quiet strange... :?
Thank you again for your wonderfull work..

Renaud...

Re: To Jason:What about French subtitles???

Post by Guest » Sep 6th 2002, 7:26 pm

Renaud1 wrote:Hi Jason...

Welcome back...I hope that you had a wonderful time... I've asked you a few months ago if there would be French subtitles on the DVD and you gave me this great answer "YES"...But I do not see in the technical informations any french subtitles...so I'm a little bit worried...
I
Thank you again for your wonderfull work..

Renaud...

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: To Jason:What about French subtitles???

Post by Jason R » Sep 6th 2002, 7:41 pm

Actually, this is a very big issue. I am sorry I did not mention it sooner. My wedding and general craziness distracted me.

I have been informed that the only language being included in subtitles is English. If you no longer want the DVDs as a result of this, let me know.

The reason? BMG had been given the wrong rates for 13 hours of subtitles per language. AU agreed to foot the bill for the English subtitles (all were originally to be included by BMG, and I have been very critical of AU lately, but this was an area where they came through), but the price was literally astronomical. High enough to kill the project.

So why English? And why would I agree with this?

I read through a lot of emails I had received. Many people, especially non-english speakers thought that the English subtitles would help them to pick up on things that might have been said to quickly. It was preferable to including one other language and omitting another. If only one language was afforable (and bear in mind that the cost of the subtitles, with only english was about 10% of the cost, due to the very small run).

This might change things for people who don't speak English as a native language. If so, please post at http://www.drygrass.com/mscl