Whine, Whine, Whine

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
kriddyboo
Three Rivers Resident

Whine, Whine, Whine

Post by kriddyboo » Jul 11th 2002, 8:16 pm

Every day I log onto this website and spend at least 1 hour reading the whiny, bitchy complaints of people that are too scard to post their real names. So, I felt I had earned the right to get on my soap box and say what I feel.

I ordered the DVD set the very first day I received the email. WAY BACK IN THE STONE AGE!!!! I gave these people (Another Universe) $20 to hold what I felt would be my most cherished possesion. I do everything in my life online. (Banking, buying, selling, I even met my husband online.) Do you people not think I have ever been burned? Yes it was risky, yes I was scared I just blew $20, but I felt this opportunity was too good to pass up.

1 month later... I go online to check my account balance and I see that I have now been billed for $80. OH MY GOD!!! When you live from paycheck to paycheck like I do $80 can really hurt if you are not expecting it. So immediatly I panicked. Who wouldn't? I sent Jason a frantic email begging for help. What happened you ask?? I don't even think it was 1 hour later when I received an email back from Jason. Apparantly I was the first this happened to because Jason had no idea what was going on. Jason got back to me and told me about the problems AU was haiving holding onto extended deposits off of debit cards. Did that calm my fears?? NO! He told me I was going to receive a receipt via snail mail. I was willing to wait.

1 month later... I still had not received anything from AU. I sent another frantic email to Jason. This time though I was tough! (Hehe) I told him I was going to cancel my order!! I was not to be scammed!! I would show them! Same day... Jason responded. He told me even though he did not want me to cancel it was my right. He was so polite to me I felt like a total jackass!!! I immediatly sent him an apologetic email for my rudeness.

2 weeks later... I received my snail mail confirmation. I felt soooo much better.

Like I said earlier I am on this website about an hour every day reading other peoples complaints and stupid questions that they could have already had answered had they taken the time to read previous posts. I wish everyone should just shut up and wait like the rest of us. It does not hurt to have a little patience. BMG is such a huge company I seriously doubt they would hand this project to a company that would not come through. AU is an infant in a situation like this. But like a million others have said before me... THIS DVD SET IS THE FIRST OF IT'S KIND! Problems are sure to arise when you tread on uncharted ground.

Please people if you have problems email Jason. I am sure you will be pleased at the rate in which he returns your answers. This forum is not for bitching. It is to keep the public updated on the activities of the production of the DVD. DO NOT AIR YOUR DIRTY LAUNDRY FOR OTHERS TO SEE. Because frankly I and I'm sure others... really just don't give a s**t. We only want to know about the most wonderful idea anyone has ever had. The My So Called Life DVD box set. AH NIRVANA!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

can you smell what the rock is cooking?

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 11th 2002, 9:05 pm

I agree that it is so chicken s**t for people to post their complaints anonymously. That is exactly why some forums only allow registered members to post after their email addresses have been verified. At least then there is some accountability. I think this "anonymous" feature gives some people the belief that they can just post a bunch of hysterical crazy talk, but aha! Our mighty webmasters & Jason have already tracked down one of the troublemaking whiners.

One of the great things about this new forum format is that (hopefully) the separate topics will stay in their designated places. That means there is the distinct possibility that I can read new forum posts without wading through the crap that the inciters insist on repeating.

That said, now I can't resist reading the new posts in the DVD forum because it looks like Jason's patience has slipped a notch. I like it!!

But then again, I'm a biatch.

:wink:

Mong Face

Anonymous Hypocrisy

Post by Mong Face » Jul 11th 2002, 11:19 pm

1. It's ironic that the last two people do not use their 'real' names.
2. It's internet 'culture' to have 'mysterious' and 'anonymous' usernames.
3. You see, here in America, we have this thing called Freedom of Speech.
4. Whether you or I talk a lot of crap, it doesn't matter: the point is that we are allowed to express an individual opinion - whether I want to leave my 'real' name or not.
5. Yes. Let's all register for this messageboard and have everyone agree with each other. That would be JUST like life, wouldn't it.....?

:roll:

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Re: can you smell what the rock is cooking?

Post by Jason R » Jul 11th 2002, 11:40 pm

I have little tolerance for BS, whether it be on a forum or from errors at AnotherUniverse.com. My "industry," as I see it, is to orchestrate the design and release of niche titles, stuff that would not have been possible to sell before the net. Any problems are a distraction from my specialty. I'd rather be designing and creating than playing Mr. Fixit.

I am a very strong proponent of this kind of niche product and I feel that:

1) Each AU.com glitch/error causes unnecessary grief on the part of customers and myself. I will jump right on it and fix it, but it should be much smoother and I get irritated, not by the complaints, but by the errors. If you email me, you can be assured of the fact that I will pursue it. I cannot lie, I don't remember seeing this many errors before. Then again, I've never been involved in a pre-order situation before. I was an adjuster, though, so I am pretty good at resolving problems.

2) Since there are enough legitimate errors that need fixing, I am not going to sit here and respond to false rumors (although, it seems I have been doing too much of this). The fact that some posts never result in an email exchange where I can actually do something indicates that they are little more than someone's way to spread some panic.

If you keep posting that you are unhappy and I keep responding and this does not lead to some resolution, then you need to email me. If you want I will even call you tell tell you anything you want to know about this project. But if you just keep taking pot shots, it gets old very quickly. Eventually you will have to create a new moniker because people will grow tired of reading your posts.

I would imagine some people are tired of me answering the same thing over and over again. Perhaps it is time for a new moniker.

Jason
candygirl wrote: That said, now I can't resist reading the new posts in the DVD forum because it looks like Jason's patience has slipped a notch. I like it!!

But then again, I'm a biatch.

:wink:

kriddyboo
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kriddyboo » Jul 12th 2002, 1:12 am

Mong Face Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:19 am Post subject: Anonymous Hypocrisy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. It's ironic that the last two people do not use their 'real' names.

And like MONG FACE is your real name.

I'm not afraid of who I am.. My name is Kristen Reese. If you want my phone number I'd happy to give it to so we can discuss this further. And we can talk about how *SMART* you are and how the rest of us are all losers.

But forgive me if I'm wrong... You must obviously read these posts alot too. So don't go thinking that you are superior than the rest of us. If all you can do is spread hostility and discontent why don't you do it on another website. Obviously your *Freedom of Speech* is not wanted here.

I'm suprised you have the type of depth and emotions that it takes to truely appreciate My So Called Life. You just seem bitter to me...

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Anonymous Hypocrisy

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 12th 2002, 1:35 pm

Mong Face wrote:1. It's ironic that the last two people do not use their 'real' names.
2. It's internet 'culture' to have 'mysterious' and 'anonymous' usernames.
3. You see, here in America, we have this thing called Freedom of Speech.
4. Whether you or I talk a lot of crap, it doesn't matter: the point is that we are allowed to express an individual opinion - whether I want to leave my 'real' name or not.
5. Yes. Let's all register for this messageboard and have everyone agree with each other. That would be JUST like life, wouldn't it.....?
I was not debating whether anyone's names (besides Jason's, obviously) are real. I was pointing out that we are a community here and one of the initial things to do here is to register as a member. Ever since the announcement of the DVD, we have had a surge in anonymous members posting complaints and then (1) expect Jason to fix their supposed order problems without a name or order number and (2) as proven in the case of Clyde & his anonymous friend, post inflamatory remarks in order to incite panic and riot.

As far as expressing an individual opinion, try reading the plethora of previous posts regarding the DVDs. It's been said and done over and over, and I, for one, am tired of reactionary people who are too lazy to read previous posts and realize that their own complaints are redundant.

Since we are discussing internet culture, it is considered proper netiquette to read at least SOME previous posts before jumping in brand spanking new and repeating what has already been said. Obviously not everyone bothers with that (if you want any proof, just check out the message board at a lot of fan sites: "What's Jared's favorite color?" "How tall is Shakira?"), but we at the mscl board are, for the most part, accustomed to having members who are considerate of each other. I am NOT saying that we should all agree and take Prozac together. I am saying that complaining about the same damn thing is a waste of resources for this board and this website.

And you are correct about freedom of speech, but it goes both ways. Translation: a lot of people on this board have been reading the same "cancel your order, AU ripped me off blah blah" for months now and we're tired of seeing Jason get trashed when all he's done is work his ass off to make this happen. If he was as easily discouraged and gave up as easily as everyone who has cancelled their orders, the DVDs wouldn't be a reality. With that understanding, know that if you keep bitching about AU inevitably someone else will defend Jason and most likely tell you to pipe down. It's a vicious cycle, but the IJJTBB has a job to do.

In addition, hounding Jason about release dates does not force BMG to authorize any of the clearance issues that he has told us about. The release date is not his decision and with the massive amount of posts and emails that originate from Jason, I find it difficult believe that he really knows the release date yet is hiding it from us, rubbing his hands together and laughing maniacally.

Now can we bury the hatchet and agree to disagree?
Last edited by Natasha (candygirl) on Jul 12th 2002, 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kriddyboo
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kriddyboo » Jul 12th 2002, 4:24 pm

I definatly agree to disagree. We are all individuals. If we were all alike how boring would we be.

The whole point of my post was for everyone just to RELAX. I know emotions are running high right now. I for one agree that $100 is a LOT of money to just forget about. I want information as much as anyone else. But you can't tell the future. As far as asking Jason 1 million times what the new shipping date is, what do you want him to say? Do you want him to lie? He has no idea. He is not in the factory making them. He does not work for BMG anymore. He is only a foot soldier that is doing his best to make sure we all get what we want.

All I was saying was I am tired of reading complaints, pot shots, hysteria and such. I read these posts because I am hoping to gather information as to the progress of the DVD. Wading through miles and miles of redundant posts is a waste of my and everyone else's time.

Krakolano
Overlooked Sibling

mong?

Post by Krakolano » Jul 14th 2002, 3:31 am

what the hell is 'mong' anyway?

...and why on earth would you want your face to be made out of it?

sounds like something you step in and have to scrape out of the cracks of your shoe...
"i don't believe in making plans...whatever happens... happens."

-- Krak

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Whine, Whine, whine-some perspective may help

Post by lance » Jul 15th 2002, 2:31 pm

Hello all,

Admist all the invective being tossed around on this chat room I think some perspective may help here.

Way back in 1994 there was this incredible show called My So Called Life. It ran for just 19 episodes. When I heard that they were going to cancel it, I like many others wrote in to ABC and said please don't cancel on of the best shows television has every produced, alas to no avail.

Flash forward to fall of 2001. I stumbled across MSCL.com and heard talk about MSCL being put out on DVD. At the time that is all that it was, talk. Last Febrary Jason informs everyone that you can put down a deposit and maybe, just maybe BMG will be able to put MSCL out on DVD.

Thousands (3,500 at the end of May 2002 according to Jason) said yeah I am willing to pay roughly a $100.00 US for this set. We were told that the release date would be June 18th, 2002. Cool, I thought I can watch the whole series before the fourth of July, if not earlier.

Then Jason sent us word, yes all the songs heard on the show will be on the set, yes, the lunch boxes are on their way from Hong Kong, but no the set will not be able to ship on June 18th.

Not a big deal right? So we have to wait another month or two (possible more) to get the set. No ones life is going to come to a screeching halt because they didn't get the set last month. I don't know about you but life is keeping me plenty busy during the time I have to wait for my set. This is after all just a TV show, albeit a brillant one.

Talk about waiting? Talk to those poor guys who were waiting for release of the PC game Warcraft III. They waited THREE YEARS and dealt with numerous delays before they finally got their game. Some people will never see the TV show they want on DVD because no company is willing to invest money on a venture that may or may not prove to profitable.

Relax. We have Jason, who has the patience of saint, as our advocate. Some of my congressman and senators take months to get back to me, Jason e-mails me within 24 hours! Give the overworked man a break. We are going to get our set that is all anybody really needs to know.

And for the record, Lance, is my real name.

All the best,

Lance :)

bellacat
Tino

Post by bellacat » Jul 15th 2002, 9:58 pm

I am more understanding of the "whiners" than I am of AU. I would not mind waiting a few months or a few years except for the fact that they have my money. People waited 3 years for Warcraft, but they did not have to pay until the product was ready. As long as they have my money and I have no product, I will not be a satisfied customer.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Jul 16th 2002, 4:30 am

It's a Catch 22, because without the pre-pays, BMG was not going to do this. This was not the preferred way of doing it either. But I've discussed that in other threads. If you look at it from the perspective of BMG, here was a former (laid-off) employee and a company they had never sold to before.

In any situation where someone doesn't like the idea of pre-paying, I recommend just getting a copy after the release. However, since these are being made in very small batches and only as ordered, after the initial run sells, there still might be a wait for a second batch (at least, then, you have the comfort of knowing the product has shipped to others, so this is materially different).

The very reason for the pre-order discount and the bonus packaging, etc. was to find a way to thank people for pre-paying. (And, as an incentive to reach the minimum order faster). So , everyone at AU was aware that they were asking for a lot. Of course, we all thought this would have shipped already.

Jason

PS: I will be in transit today. Going to Vegas (work, not play :wink: ) so I will log in later this evening.

bellacat wrote:I am more understanding of the "whiners" than I am of AU. I would not mind waiting a few months or a few years except for the fact that they have my money. People waited 3 years for Warcraft, but they did not have to pay until the product was ready. As long as they have my money and I have no product, I will not be a satisfied customer.

bellacat
Tino

Post by bellacat » Jul 17th 2002, 8:56 am

You do not have to explain the pre-order turned pre-pay deal. I am just saying to expect whining. It is unrealistic to expect everyone to be calm and cool about this situation.

Mong Face

Definition

Post by Mong Face » Jul 18th 2002, 9:55 am

'Mong' is short for 'Mongoloid'. I have a Mongoloid face. That's what's so great about the internet: I can rant and rave on this message board and people don't have to respond sympathetically to me just because of the way I look. :)

kriddyboo
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kriddyboo » Jul 18th 2002, 8:21 pm

'Mong' is short for 'Mongoloid'. I have a Mongoloid face. That's what's so great about the internet: I can rant and rave on this message board and people don't have to respond sympathetically to me just because of the way I look.

Your joking right????

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 18th 2002, 10:39 pm

I was hoping it stood for mong bean.

:P