DVD: Just interested in who?

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Joanna
Angela's best friend

DVD: Just interested in who?

Post by Joanna » Mar 4th 2002, 11:27 am

Hiya all your lifers!

I was just interested in who of us have signed up for the DVD boxset pre-order of MSCL on anotheruniverse.com. I have been a little unsure about it and am concerned about hidden costs - such as the odd dollar here and there for 'insurance' etc (This may be a British £ thing as I know that Americans are not as uptight about spending their $ money lol!). Does any one else have any reserves about signing up and if so why? I feel our worries about this should be aired seeing as it is we, the fans, that have encouraged the project for so long. I am also concerned about the shipping costs outside of the USA. These have been kept fairly quiet and yet I feel we are being too easily persuaded to go ahead and order the set without asking enough questions. I am not too concerned about using a credit card on-line but I hear the charges for the box set will automatically be billed to the card - without us being double checked. I realise that the deposit is non-refundable but how can you change your mind if say, the shipping is very high? Also, does anyone know for sure if the deposit is being taken off the actual cost of the box set or if this is another extra $20.00 ($21.00 actually) just being taken? Will somebody please put my mind at rest!? Does anyone have any concerns or are these just flying out of the window in our race to grab the collectors editions of MSCL?

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

Colene
Overlooked Sibling

Re: DVD: Just interested in who?

Post by Colene » Mar 4th 2002, 1:18 pm

I've signed up to get the DVDs and am not really feeling all that concerned. Any concerns that I have had have been promptly answered via e mail by Justin.

I live in Canada but I have a brother living in the States so I'm having it shipped there (plus the offer of free shipping within the USA is nice). I can't imagine shipping internationally being THAT much (at least I hope not for your sake!). Also, I think someone else asked a question about the deposit and it was clarified that the $20 is being taken off the cost of the boxset.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

DVD FACTS v. RUMORS

Post by Jason R » Mar 4th 2002, 1:56 pm

I think it might be useful to quell some rumors here. If anyone has questions about this project, please email me at jasonr@mscl.com.

Ever play the game "telephone?" You tell someone something, and it gets passed along, and then by the time the message gets around to you again "The cat walked around the house" turns into "Mickey Mouse is a fascist." Well, if you are going to tell anybody anything, tell them to look at http://www.mscl.com/dvd or http://www.anotheruniverse.com/mscldvd. Tell them my email address, or tell them to email justin@anotheruniverse.com for updates on this package.

NOTE: It's going to take at least 3.5 months for this package to be completed. It's going to be a very stressful period of time if people panic because of rumors. Why is it going to take so long? Because usually when we buy something it is a finished product. Here, the product is being made because the fans demanded it. Don't think otherwise. Nobody was in any rush to put this out until you signed that petition organized by MSCL.com.

A few things need clearing up:

1) The deposit is *not* in addition to the order amount. If you ordered the $89 set, you will end up paying the remaining $69. If you are in the US and ordered before 3/1, you are not paying for shipping. The deposit was needed to get an accurate count of how many to manufacture.

As of today there are about 2,200 orders, and there are about 300 pre-order sets left. Please refer to the sites listed above for information about the pre-order version. After the pre-order period ends, there will be a waitlist. If someone who pre-ordered decides not to buy it when it is ready to ship, the waitlist people will be able to get the pre-order version. I am clearing this up now because 88% of the sets (2,200 out of 2,500) are already sold.

If you are from anywhere outside the US, and ordered before 3/1 you are getting a credit for the amount being saved for US shipping (i think it is $6, or so.)

The shipping charges are going to be based on the *actual cost* of shipping this to you, and packing it up safely. I don't know if insurance or rush shipping will be available. Those *would* cost extra, but those would be your choice. The cost of shipping cannot be computed exactly because the package is being made, final weight unknown. If you want to take an educated guess, stick 5 or 6 DVDs in a tin lunchbox and weigh it. :-D

Hope this helps.
Jason

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Mar 4th 2002, 6:56 pm

Thanks everyone; I know it sounds a bit ridiculous to you guys across the pond but being in the UK with all this boxset flurry around us feel a bit 'left out' I think, it's hard to explain - what do other Brits think? I think the information is possibly clearer or less of a worry to Americans because it is all taking place in their country. If it was in the UK I don't think I would have asked quite so many questions but I'd feel more comfortable about who I was dealing with. If something goes wrong for example it will cost alot from over here to phone the company.

Anyway, now I am worried because I ordered my set 24 hours ago but have not had the confirmation e-mail! Guess I'd better get on to anotheruniverse to check it has all gone through ok - don't wanna miss this chance! Thanks again you two :0)

tome
Tino

Re: DVD FACTS v. RUMORS

Post by tome » Mar 5th 2002, 6:13 am

It's still impossible to preorder the set if you don't live in a country where Another Universe normally delivers. I don't care about the costs, I just want to be able to order the damn thing!

.tome

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Mar 5th 2002, 9:48 am

While you can toss their normal shipping prices out of the window, you might want to check with AnotherUniverse.com to see if they can ship to your country. I don't see why they couldn't, but I don't know the answer to this. Which country are you in? Please write to justin@anotheruniverse.com and let him know where you are. Do it fairly soon because the pre-order version is almost sold out (yesterday was 2200 out of 2500)

Jason

Post by Guest » Mar 5th 2002, 10:50 am

what I don't understand:

why don't you just extend the pre-order period - let's say - until the end of March and wait and see how many orders there are? So you could decide later how many DVD-sets you're going to produce (instead of producing "only" 2500 and probably disappoint people who order after the 2500 sets are sold).

got what I mean? ;-)
(not that I care toooo much - I've pre-ordered my set)

Post by Guest » Mar 5th 2002, 10:48 pm

Jason, For those that pre-ordered by way of payment sent via mail, will an email be sent when the deposit is recvd so that the sender will know that they were one of the 2500 pre-orders recvd?

Just wondering cause the link page for "mail in payment" indicates that an email will be sent when the pkg is ready to be shipped asking for the remaining balance. Just would be nice to know that at least the deposit was recvd & am part of the 2500 pre-orders.

Thanks

R

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Mar 6th 2002, 1:11 am

I didn't get a confirmation for my deposit for a while either, although I ordered it practically as soon as it was announced, so they may've been more bogged down with orders.

Either way, I don't care if it costs a thousand dollars to ship a package from one end of a street to the other, this is all of MSCL on DVD.

- jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com/

Justin at AU
AnotherUniverse.com

Post by Justin at AU » Mar 7th 2002, 2:14 pm

Sorry I have not been able to respond sooner, I am a bit ill with a lung Infection. The confirmation email system is down due to our mail server being hijacked by spammers, The spammers, hae been blocked but now the code on the site is not emailing out replies. I should have a handle on this shortly, would have fixed it sooner, but well I am just now getting back to work.

I know everyone across the pond wants to know about shipping, and i will try and see what i can do about some rough guess, maybe steal one of my kids lunch boxes, toss in my Buffy Season One DVD set and my Simpsons Season One DVD set, pack it all up, get a weight and then run the numbers with a postal calculator. I will try and do this next week, just so I can give everyone a rough idea.

Any other questions, just email me at justin@anotheruniverse.com and i will see what i can do to answer them or at least pass it on to someone who can answer it for you.

Justin at AU

somamoons
Overlooked Sibling

Re: Rest assured!

Post by somamoons » Mar 8th 2002, 5:13 am

I pre-ordered a set already. When I went through the checkout, it said to enter a certain code for free shipping, I did, but the total price charged me shipping anyway. I okayed it, cause whether I paid shipping or not really didn't bother me. The total I was given, and okayed, ON THE SITE was $28. However, when AnotherUniverse ACTUALLY charged my card, they only did $20 - which was the price without shipping. YAY! <3

Post by Guest » Mar 12th 2002, 7:35 pm

well, I really do hope it is cheaper than the international shipping price listet at anotheruniverse!!!! It says a product worth up to 100$ would cost $69.95 shipping, which is definitely more than I can afford and which is why I didn't place my pre-order yet....
Fabian

Post by Guest » Mar 12th 2002, 11:13 pm

please do learn to read. it says over and over again that this is not the shipping charge

Colene
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Colene » Mar 13th 2002, 6:15 am

I don't know if this alleviates anyone's fears, but I work in a post office (albeit a Canadian one) but I can assure you that the shipping shouldn't be *TOO* much (ie. $70) for international shipments. Unless it weighs a helluva lot!

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Mar 13th 2002, 2:48 pm

I'm sure all of us here can read Anonymous - however I am in the UK and even though I have ordered my set I am concered about the shipping cost. It may say that the price quoted is NOT the shipping charge so then what actually is?? THAT is what people are worried about and if they can't afford the later price of shipping then they will have lost $21.00 in deposit fees. So just don't you be so rude!