Ross Rojek arrested for fraud (**OFFICIAL THREAD**)

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
kappster
Three Rivers Resident

Post by kappster » Apr 14th 2004, 3:24 am

Wow....since Ross moved on to the big leagues of swindling and ripping people off of hundreds of thousands of dollars, I am surprised as hell that any of us got bonus material or lunch boxes. That was small potatoes compared to what he was taking from his 'investors'. I really can't believe he followed up on any of the bonus materials for any of us with all of his (much larger) extracurricular activities.

I don't think we should be too judgemental...I am sure it was all just a big misunderstanding that the Feds will get sorted out in no time.

Debs
Liberty High Student

Post by Debs » Apr 14th 2004, 4:45 am

Hi Jason -

Really good to have you back again but this whole shebang must be a huge stomach ache for you.

To go back to your question, I too would be *very* interested in the Bonus Disc. If there is any way possible of getting access to it that would be so great.

To this day I am utterly disgusted with myself for believing in Ross' lies. To have and engaged in email conversation with him and to have been fobbed off each time I phoned his rotten company in the US. Ugh. The man makes my skin crawl. I wonder what his old employees think... like that guy (Wade was it?) who answered the phone at AU. I wonder if he knew we were all being had?

Debs xx

ROT IN HELL ROSS

PS: I'm coming to New York in Fall!!!! Yey!!!
Mom. Streamers?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Apr 14th 2004, 4:47 am

kappster wrote:Wow....since Ross moved on to the big leagues of swindling and ripping people off of hundreds of thousands of dollars, I am surprised as hell that any of us got bonus material or lunch boxes. That was small potatoes compared to what he was taking from his 'investors'.
Not necessarily. Ross had probably around 3,000 orders for the DVDs. The customers paid around $110 for the discs upfront - not counting the endless so-called "accidential" double and triple charges. That's already more than $330,000. Not small potatoes. Well, at least most of the customers received some goods for their money, but nowhere worth $110.
I really can't believe he followed up on any of the bonus materials for any of us with all of his (much larger) extracurricular activities.
Yeah, until now I thought that Ross is just too *stupid* to handle big projects like the DVD one and it got all messed up because of this. Why else would he still send out all that bonus stuff and not just get away with the money. But according to these news articles he clearly intended to screw the investors from the beginning. And he's even too stupid to do that.
I don't think we should be too judgemental...I am sure it was all just a big misunderstanding that the Feds will get sorted out in no time.
Oh, don't joke about that. Rojek is not convicted yet - only arrested. Who knows what kind of tricks or "explanations" he's going to come up with. I can only hope that the FBI won't fall for it and really put him in jail -- not just charge him with a minor fine (which he probably couldn't pay anyway).
Last edited by Sascha on Apr 14th 2004, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Apr 14th 2004, 4:58 am

Regarding the bonus disc: *If* Ross really gets convicted and AU shuts down etc, I don't see a reason anymore why we can't make the Bedford Falls interview video available here on MSCL.com (that's just me guessing - without any legal background or checking with the rest of the team). Of course we'd have to check back with Bedford Falls.

BTW: Right now at AnotherUniverse.com: A blank page with "WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF UPGRADING TO NEW SERVERS." LOL.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Apr 14th 2004, 5:27 am

:shock: Wow. I am so happy that RR has finally got what he deserves!

:D that thieving lying no good sob has been arrested and his name splashed everywhere in the press...
and even if he doesn't get charged eventually, I'll still rest easier in my bed knowing that anyone who does a bit of homework on him should be able to find out relatively easily what a scumbag sack of sh*t he is.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Apr 14th 2004, 10:24 am

I hope Ross has a big future of tossing salads and dropping the soap for the next 10-20 years.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

jwhatch
Frozen Embryo

I didn't think someone could be so hated

Post by jwhatch » Apr 14th 2004, 3:25 pm

Sorry all you MSCL fans had to deal with Ross because he sure has done his fair share of damage over the years (according to all the forum posts). I used to be a credit manager at BGD back in the early MtG days and Ross seemed to always be getting himself into plenty of trouble back then (Cash only COD is always a good friend). As I remember things - First he owned a comic book/game store called Beyond The Pale. Somehow he even managed to get involved with Bayside Distribution/Tower Records (he didn't work for them, but he was somehow involved with making their product buying recommendations). Then he bought Comics & Comix. Then I got out of the game industry (if sales of MtG was going gangbusters how come so many stores couldn't pay their bills) and never looked back. But I live in Berkeley and the old Comics & Comix store still appears to be open (selling what is a good guess since last I heard they couldn't get any new comics). It's a shame that Ross didn't use his ability to talk anyone into anything for Good, then the world might be a much better place for everyone.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Apr 15th 2004, 5:04 pm

Oh man, I love karma.

:D

mephisto
Angela's best friend

Re: I didn't think someone could be so hated

Post by mephisto » Apr 16th 2004, 4:08 pm

I didn't think someone could be so hated
think again :-P
The Unofficial AnotherUniverse.com/My So-Called Life DVD-Booklet - Finally available for download!

*** The AU/RR appreciation Site ***

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » Apr 18th 2004, 6:23 pm

Okay. I am completly lost. Can someone explain this to me? I`m REALLY interested in the story but have no idea what I`m reading...HELP!
There`s Something About My Life....

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Apr 19th 2004, 4:27 am

MyLifeIsBrians wrote:Okay. I am completly lost. Can someone explain this to me? I`m REALLY interested in the story but have no idea what I`m reading...HELP!
Uh, well, that's a long story. Did you read the FAQ? That will tell you the background of what Ross Rojek (then CEO of AnotherUniverse.com) did to us, the MSCL fans. He basically promised goods that were never (or very late or incomplete) delivered, he double- or triplecharged MSCL DVD customers. But he got away with it. Until now.

According to these new articles, he tried to get money from investors to finance a company which was supposed to develop a face recognition system. But it seems like this company never existed, the money from the investors just went somewhere else. And finally, the FBI took some actions and arrested him for fraud. That's the (very) short version of what happened.

MyLifeIsBrians
Yearbook Team

Post by MyLifeIsBrians » Apr 19th 2004, 6:16 pm

oh okay. That`s really horrible what he did to MSCL fans and people in general. I`m really glad he is being prosecuted whether it be for AnotherUniverse.com or the face recognition system it seems as if the FBI should have done something sooner.
There`s Something About My Life....

Laxhack
Frozen Embryo

Ross Rojek- follow up

Post by Laxhack » Apr 24th 2004, 4:32 pm

:shock: :shock:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/business/ ... 0476c.html

Folks-

And you think you know someone....

I went by the Sacramento Comics & Comix store Friday afternoon. Locked tight.

I hope those who deserve refunds on the DVDs get them.

Laxhack
Have a good time, all the time....

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Apr 24th 2004, 7:19 pm

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Apr 24th 2004, 8:03 pm

Has the mug shot been released yet? I want to make a mug that has it and says "Doing ten to twenty in another universe".

:twisted: