AU Bonus Materials Discussion (**OFFICIAL THREAD**)

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
heater_05
Three Rivers Resident

Post by heater_05 » Oct 13th 2003, 10:35 pm

well I can not believe it, but I called home to check if I got a package, (I get everytthing sent to my parent's house, I always have trouble getting stuff at my apt.) and sure enough my Mom informed me that a package from Another Universe had arrived. I can not believe it. I thought I would never ever see it. It will be awhile until I get home to get it, though I might have to make a special trip, it is not that far. Also I have a dvd burner, if we get clearance I am willing to burn off some copies of the bonus disk as long as I am provided with a dvd disc. But a warning, it is a dvd+r burner, so only some players will play it. Although I have not seen it yet, I am looking forward to it. I have actually seen Winnie speak in person and met her. But, at the talk no one was really a fan. It will be good to also see someone be frank and honest about Claire bailing on the show, maybe we can finally get to the bottom of the rumors, although I will always believe that abc will hold the most blame for not believing in the show in the first place. My mom said the box was small, I always imaged the lunch box to be full size, but I heard it is small collector type box. Also just so you know I am in California and it arrived last Thursday.
"It just goes to show you, if it's not one thing it's another, but it's always something!"

Roseanne Roseannadanna

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 13th 2003, 10:45 pm

The lunchbox is regular sized. If it's smaller than a standard sized lunchbox, it isn't by much (unless you are used to the gigantic construction worker size lunchboxes).

For the record (or at least until someone else helps me transcribe the interview), during the interview they say that Claire and her parents came to BF & Winnie and said that she did not want to return for a second season. They said they understood her decision since she had been working on the show for two years (from the time they shot the pilot until the end of the first season) and wanted to do movies. The show was already on the bubble, and this did not help matters since the ratings were not great. Marshall said that they can't really blame ABC for cancelling the show based on those things since, after all, television is about money, but what they CAN blame ABC for is not marketing the show well.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 13th 2003, 10:59 pm

phelix wrote:
JPP13 wrote: I suppose if someone anon put it out on kazaa, which of course can not be sanctioned here.
Why not? There is no problem as long as you have to OK from the copyright holders. And guess what. Ross Rojeck does NOT own the copyright to this stuff. Ask Bedford falls what their position on this is. IF they have no problem with it, start copying.
How do you know who owns the copyright? In the strictest sense, I believe that Another Universe/Ross Rojek owns the copyright to this interview. Bedford Falls does not - that would be like saying that if the production company didn't pay up, then Renee Zellwegger would own the copyright on Chicago. If I recall correctly, Grafik is the company that is still owed money for the interview so if Ross did not pay them, then the copyright would fall back to them. In any case, the disc cover says that American Entertainment Group owns the copyright. No matter who owns the copyright, and no matter how much money Ross took from you, distributing copyrighted material is still illegal.

Disclaimer: I know very little about copyright laws, so any attorneys (like William Blais!) please feel free to correct me.
Last edited by Natasha (candygirl) on Oct 14th 2003, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Oct 14th 2003, 1:12 am

Hi guys and gals,

I recognize that the news of the bonus disc is very exciting (an understatement, to be sure), and it's great to see some light at the end of the tunnel. It's also tempting, especially to the many people who did not order their set from AU (like myself) or cancelled their AU order, to ask to get copies of the disc or exchange ideas as to how they can get one.

From now on, please try to refrain from such discussion on the boards as MSCL.com does not endorse it. We'd love for everyone to get to see what AU slapped, er, put together (:wink:), but in the long run, we're discussing what people in expensive business suits call an "illegal act".

Thanks! :D

Gary
Last edited by GaryEA on Oct 14th 2003, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RodH
Tino

Post by RodH » Oct 14th 2003, 11:18 am

About the never-seen cast interviews.......... does anyone know which actual cast members did interviews for the DVD??

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Oct 14th 2003, 12:46 pm

GaryEA wrote:exchange ideas as to how they can get one.
I think its very fair to question where the rights of the material actually lay, and if AU really owns the rights to the material. We already know for a fact that Ross Rojek horribly failed at paying vendors. Why can't we question whether he had any right to distribute this disc in the first place? And if he had no right, what is stopping us from discussing if we can get the right to distribute it ourselves?

I don't see any sort of "illegal act" in that discussion.
Last edited by andrewgd on Oct 14th 2003, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Oct 14th 2003, 1:19 pm

andrewgd wrote:
GaryEA wrote:exchange ideas as to how they can get one.
I think its very fair to question where the rights of the material actually lay, and if AU really owns the rights to the material. We already know for a fact that Ross Rojek horribly failed at paying vendors. Why can't we question whether he had any right to distribute this disc in the first place?
Gary didn't write anything about you not being allowed to discuss the copyright owner issue.
And if he had no right, what is stopping us from discussing if we can get the right to distribute it ourselves?

I don't see any sort of "illegal act" in that discussion.
It's no problem to talk about who may or may not be the copyright owner of the material. But we do not allow users offering to copy their bonus dvd for other users in our forum or discuss how copies could be distributed etc - especially as long as noone knows who really owns the copyright - maybe Ross/AU/AEG did pay Grafik. And even if Grafik hasn't been paid, that doesn't mean that AU isn't the copyright owner of the bonus disc - they own at least the rights to the graphics etc (copyright law is a complicated field).

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Oct 14th 2003, 1:24 pm

RodH wrote:About the never-seen cast interviews.
They were not only "never seen", they were also "never shot". The manager of one of the cast members screwed up so that we had to cancel the interviews in the last minute (Dan was already in the hotel in LA). It was supposed to be re-scheduled for a later date, but then the AU s**t hit the fan.

wayney
Frozen Embryo

Post by wayney » Oct 14th 2003, 6:48 pm

Hello all.
I came to the site just hoping to see if there was any progress being made on the bonus stuff, and low and behold, people were receiving it!

I came home early from work, so I could skip by my brother's place where I used to live, and find the box waiting. I live in the Bay Area of Cali, for those of you keeping track. It probably didn't come today, but more likely monday or maybe even earlier.

Haven't watched it yet... heck haven't even opened it yet. Just wanted to share. :)

TheHistorian
Frozen Embryo

Post by TheHistorian » Oct 14th 2003, 8:08 pm

Hi all,

I've been reading here off and on forever, but never really had anything useful to say. I submitted my complaint forms to the AG when asked to and watched for emails from Jason, but otherwise just sat back and waited (with little hope). I hadn't been here in a week or two, so I didn't know I was seriously supposed to be hoping for the lunchbox and stuff.

My surprise upon checking the mail today was extreme. I think my exact words were, "What the f***?" :)

Anyway, some photo proof so that I don't look like an AU shill or something:

I just opened everything up and it appears to be in good shape.

I'm in Phoenix, AZ and the ship date on the box is 10/08/03, for those tracking such things. I don't think we checked the mail yesterday, so it arrived yesterday or today.

A big thank you to Jason for sticking with this for so long. I have no doubt that we would have never seen anything but for his efforts.

Oh, and as far as the gift certificates and tshirts and such, my advice is: let it go. Would you really even bother to use the gift certifcate? I think not. So, really, all you're talking about is a tshirt. Yes, they should send it to us. But does it's value exceed the effort we'd have to put in to getting it? I think it does, so I for one, am crossing this whole thing off my list of things to think about.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Oct 14th 2003, 8:56 pm

A lot of people were giving up after nearly 2 years of waiting for the lunchboxes and discs, so I think it would be an exercise in futility to bother going after the other stuff.

I'm glad that people are finally getting what they paid for. I find it kind of funny that my logo is on the bottom of that lunchbox --right next to Ross's. :P

To think that Ross almost got involved in the box set that Gord and I are working on now. :shock: I owe you all a bit of an apology because, in a way, you were all guinea pigs. In fact, the head of a large DVD site (not Gord) credited AU with singlehandedly destroying a potential business model for other niche shows.

Well, we're trying to salvage what we can. But what did I learn?

1) Giving someone an exclusive tends to bring out any a**hole tendencies they might have.
2) Google ain't worth crap as a replacement for DNB.com
3) If you hear that a potential client is on the OTCBB or Pink Sheets, run like hell. The whole project becomes a way for the owners to try to pump and dump their stock.

Naomi
Jody Barsh

Post by Naomi » Oct 14th 2003, 10:34 pm

Well call me selfish but I have a big problem with people gaining from the money I spend. I brought the DVDs and had to spend £30 besides just to see my package arrive in the country. Why should I have bothered if people are going to have free copies floating on the internet? If people want the DVDs buy on amazon or whatever. Wanting them for free isn't on, not when others have shelled out for them. You can get screencaps and transcripts of the interviews, but I do have a big problem with anyone being provided those extras free of charge.

I'm sure plenty of people will now tell me how tight-fisted and ungenerous I am. Well so be it :shrug: That's how I feel.

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Oct 15th 2003, 12:18 am

Naomi wrote:Well call me selfish but I have a big problem with people gaining from the money I spend. I brought the DVDs and had to spend £30 besides just to see my package arrive in the country. Why should I have bothered if people are going to have free copies floating on the internet? If people want the DVDs buy on amazon or whatever. Wanting them for free isn't on, not when others have shelled out for them. You can get screencaps and transcripts of the interviews, but I do have a big problem with anyone being provided those extras free of charge.

I'm sure plenty of people will now tell me how tight-fisted and ungenerous I am. Well so be it :shrug: That's how I feel.
I think most people would think you are being reasonable. Aside from the money you all paid for the extras it's been a huge pain in the butt for you. I was afraid of the AU offer from the beginning (but i'm overly timid about all internet shopping) and I knew i was risking not even being able to get the DVDs EVER. So I think those of us who played it safe and avoided AU should be grateful that we had it easy (and i have my own regualr DVD set at last so i'm happy :-P. ) Of course I still want it for free but I know i don't deserve it (hey who doesn't love free stuff?), i would be over the moon just to read transcrips of the interviews. I would be way more jealous if the cast interviews had worked out but those lunch boxes are so great, i'm glad you are all finally getting most of what you paid for.

kq2076
Frozen Embryo

Post by kq2076 » Oct 15th 2003, 12:19 am

Just got my Lunchbox w/ bonus disc today & I think I can make a safe guess on AU's mailing patterns. I orderd my box set on or around the 28th of Oct. 2002, after seeing their add on imdb.com. I then received the package on Nov. 6th, 2002. The same day AU sent an e-mail telling me it had shipped. Since the promised bonus materials weren't present I went on-line to research & found this train wreck I had unwittingly become a part of. My extreme sympathies went out to all the folks who had been in from the beginning & had to wait even more months just for the set. Anyway I'm willing to wager that not only do AU send their packages out in a West to East direction (with California being ground zero), but they also go down the list from most recently orderd to least recently orderd. Funny most succesful companies fill their orders as the come in.
The lunchbox is nice with a few caveats. Under one of the metal pieces(sic?) that hold the handle on is a noticable dent. Speaking of which the latch is quite tight & I would caution those receiving the box that undoing it with too much force might cause unrepairable damage. The metal is very thin & won't stand up to much abuse so I definatly won't be storing my discs in there. It really is a neat little box, I'm not trying to sound extremly critical. I just hate to think that some people's merchandise might be ruined in the mail due to cheap materials.

vapspwi
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by vapspwi » Oct 15th 2003, 9:50 am

TheHistorian wrote: Oh, and as far as the gift certificates and tshirts and such, my advice is: let it go. Would you really even bother to use the gift certifcate? I think not. So, really, all you're talking about is a tshirt. Yes, they should send it to us. But does it's value exceed the effort we'd have to put in to getting it? I think it does, so I for one, am crossing this whole thing off my list of things to think about.
Yeah, I've been saying that all along. Ross is a lying sumbitch, we all know that, and he's been willing to say anything to us since the very beginning to try to placate us and keep us off of his butt. I don't want a gift certificate from his lousy company, and I don't want a cheap t-shirt or any of the other stuff he promised just to cover his tracks. I JUST WANT WHAT I PAID FOR, and I'll consider this whole ordeal a win. (Not that I won't still do what I can to destroy his company and his reputation, one customer at a time when the opportunity arises, of course, but that's just recreation. :-)

JRjr