Taking this Bull(s***) by the Proverbial Horns

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Taking this Bull(s***) by the Proverbial Horns

Post by Jason R » Aug 29th 2003, 1:14 pm

I don't know about you, but I am pretty fed up that the bonus material has not surfaced 19 months after the pre-order began and I am looking to close this sad chapter in what would have otherwise been a great experience for me, and probably most of you.

I am pretty much without a clue about anything that can be done about lunchboxes at this point. Whether they actually shipped or not is something that only Ross Rojek would know.

However, the bonus disc material (the bedford falls interview) does exist and people other than Dan and Ross deserve to see it.

If someone could donate DVD authoring services (finalcut pro, etc), I could probably have these bonus discs manufactured incredibly inexpensively, at or below cost, by one of my clients. In a simple cardboard sleeve, the whole thing could probably be manufactured and mailed within the US for about $1.25 apiece, and up to about $4 internationally. If some volunteers in the NYC area helped me apply postage and ship them out, the whole thing could be over and done with by Christmas. I could then try to obtain a list from AU.com. As incredibly horrendous they are, they might do something that saves them from spending their highly-coveted, ill-gained money.

There are other alternatives as well. I think that the content should be made available online to all who wish to download it. I intend to ask Bedford Falls for their permission to make the video available online. Between the download self-serve and making the discs available essentially at or below cost, we can get these discs into everyone's hands.

Any other ideas?

Best
Jason

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 29th 2003, 1:58 pm

Jason, that's a great idea. Given the fact that AU still has not provided this material to us, it seems likely that BF will give their blessing to this incarnation of their interview. As much as I was looking forward to seeing the MTR session, something is infinitely better than nothing and I would love to FINALLY be able to see what BF has to say about MSCL.

IJJTBB!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

siandam
Jody Barsh

Post by siandam » Aug 29th 2003, 5:39 pm

I would be willing to do anything to help get the bonus disc into our well-derserved hands, just name it. I personally would prefer to get an actual DVD in my hands, but if watching over the internet is our only option at this point, so be it.

Thanks again to Jason for everything he has done thoughout this very long process.

medellia77
Nicky Driscoll

If bonus material was online

Post by medellia77 » Aug 30th 2003, 1:04 am

If the bonus material was made available online, and was downloadable, I would be willing to learn how to use my DVD burner and help some people out.

Hardware
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Hardware » Sep 1st 2003, 10:08 am

I'd be happy to distribute it to everyone from the UK that ordered. I have a DVD burner and a broadband connection.

MartinPierre
Yearbook Team

Post by MartinPierre » Sep 2nd 2003, 12:14 pm

How long is the Interview ?

I might be able to do something.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Sep 2nd 2003, 12:37 pm

I'm not sure if there is much I can do living in Montana, but I support the idea and would eagerly purchase a copy.

P.S. I'd gladly help with the cover art. Maybe with a little help from GaryEA, we could put together a downloadable cover for it.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

trustella
Nicky Driscoll

Count me in...

Post by trustella » Sep 2nd 2003, 9:52 pm

I have a DVD burner and some editing experience with things like iMovie and iDVD. I would be willing to help in anyway that I can: editing, duping online material, whatever!

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Sep 2nd 2003, 9:56 pm

What do you say, Dan?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 3rd 2003, 5:49 am

I think there are two major problems:

1) How do we get the 12GB DV from Dan to someone able to do the editing and encoding? (I could do it - I have a nice DV/VHS/DVD/MPEGx video editing workstation available at work - but I live in Europe, that's a bit too far) Does anybody else have the technical equipment to capture DV into a PC?

2) Most importantly: We need at least something from Bedford Falls and/or Dan's former company (which recorded the interview) that gives us the rights to put this stuff online and distribute it to fans. Just an email with "okay, do it" won't be enough. As far as I know, AU hasn't paid Dan's former company yet, so they are still the legal owner of this video. I think we should at least purchase the rights for (symbolic) $1. But I don't have a clue how to do this.

The technical details of putting the video online as RealVideo/Divx/DVDISO at mscl.com or whereever is probably the smallest problem.

And just for the record: Publishing an illegal/bootlegged version of the interview on the net (e.g. on newsgroups) without agreement from Dan's former company is IMHO a risk for Dan: Everybody knows that he's the only one (besides AU) who has the video material so it's not possible to publish it anonymously.

just my $0.02

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Sep 3rd 2003, 7:43 am

Wouldn't do it without permissions. Read my first post in this thread. Jason

Oldguyy
Tino

Post by Oldguyy » Sep 3rd 2003, 2:57 pm

I am totally supportive of any attempts to make the material on the "bonus" interview DVD available. Unfortunately, I don't have any ability to produce the DVDs myself (I wish I could!).

I am guessing that the Bedford Falls people should be OK with it since they already approved this material (and we were supposed to have already received it). As a matter of fact, I would bet they are pissed off at how AU messed with what are essentially fans of their product.

Anyways ---- I 'm willing to even pay a little more money if that's what it takes (just as long Ross Rojek isn't involved).
:twisted:

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Sep 4th 2003, 5:14 pm

Nothingman wrote:P.S. I'd gladly help with the cover art. Maybe with a little help from GaryEA, we could put together a downloadable cover for it.
:go: Hell, I had a cover in the works before I figured it was better to wait for some sort of proof that it was coming.

Jason, I live pretty close to Manhattan, so schedule permitting, I could lend a hand in the mailing.

Gary

p.s. Can we get the lunchbox available for download? :D

cole1021
Frozen Embryo

I'm in if you need help

Post by cole1021 » Sep 7th 2003, 2:42 am

(It's been so long since I've posted, I can't access my old account!)

Anyways, yeah - I run a little editing company with 5 Dual PowerMacs running FCP4 and DVD Studio Pro 2.0. I'll be happy to help in any way I can - especially if its in DV.

Maybe we could do a tree for distribution if necessary... somebody burns the first few... then spreads it out to others... (though pressing is a much better idea).

I just want to see the bonus material get out to everybody. I got screwed out of a box set (at least I got *one* of the two I ordered). I'm more peeved about not getting the bonus stuff though. :(

Count me in!
Garrett

Benebula98
Liberty High Student

I don't wanna be the last one to offer my 2 cents!!!

Post by Benebula98 » Sep 7th 2003, 4:00 pm

Hey,
I'd also love to help. I am willing to do pretty much anything. I have a DVD Burner and high speed internet at well. I live in Tucson, but lemme know if I can help.
*BEN*