A *little* matter about the existence of a bonus disc.

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

A *little* matter about the existence of a bonus disc.

Post by Jason R » Jul 8th 2003, 9:05 pm

The rights from Bedford Falls were contingent upon the receipt of a certain number of box sets for bedford falls staff.

I have just confirmed that these boxsets were not received, by way of an email from BF asking what was going on.

Amazingly, it sounds like BF would still be willing to grant the rights if they got what they were promised (I am tempted to argue that they should not grant the rights to AU.com, but I also want to make it possible for customers to receive what they paid for).

Way to go, Ross. With the one thing that you didn't have to pay money for, you still managed to let your true colors show.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Jul 8th 2003, 9:39 pm

I gave them his cell. They told me that he said he will send them to BF tomorrow.

BF really just said that as long as he keeps his end of the bargain, he can use the interview. Wanting to see the bonus discs delivered (don't laugh, I actually do. i want AU to have to go through the expense of authoring, manufacturing and shipping what you already paid for).

I recommended that they put the content on a short leash. What I mean is that the discs should be shipped to people AU promised them to (they are sure to be collector's items after all of this BS), but after the initial batch, they should not be allowed to ever sell them again.

I hope they do this. Would be ironic if AU.com ended up with the rights in perpetuity.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 9th 2003, 4:25 am

Arrgh, it's such a shame :furious:. Maybe we should really try to publish the bonus stuff ourselves. Dan still has the raw footage - we could aquire the rights for symbolic $1 from Bedford Falls and publish it on self-made DVD-R / DVD+R and MSCL.com. Lots of people have DVD burners these days (I do) and I guess the quality of the AU discs wouldn't have been much better. A special item on the disc could be a few interviews with Jason and AU-customers about the horrible story of the last 20 months and how AU screwed us all. Maybe we could even pack an interview with Devon Gummersall and/or other cast members on top of it (we still have some connections...).

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that Ross would have yet another lame excuse for not coming forward with the bonus stuff ("The bad guys from MSCL.com stole the rights and now we can not produce the bonus disc" or something like that) and just like Jason wrote, I also want AU to have to go through the expense of authoring, manufacturing and shipping of the bonus disc. :redmad:

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Jul 9th 2003, 6:13 am

Sascha,
Perhaps the principals of this site can urge Bedford Falls to only grant a one-time limited license. The sooner, the better.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Jul 9th 2003, 6:27 am

Let us add to this that Grafik was still not paid for the footage. :shock: So Dan was flown out to do the interviews on a promise of payment from AU, and it was never received.

Even if the material is cleared, Grafik still owns that content until they are paid. (I have the contract here if you want to see it).

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jul 9th 2003, 1:54 pm

Could we just pursue publishing it ourselves and get it the hell over with? Please?

The way I see it, Ross will continue to stall as long as it suits him in order to avoid his obligations. No one is getting paid, and nothing is being produced except pat emails saying "all is well" when it should read "we're f'ing up left and right, but we appreciate your loyalty... and cash".

If he pumps out a two disc bonus disc set (half now, half later... how convenient) - fine. That's what the nitwit was supposed to have done in the first place, plus a litany of other things. But in doing our own bonus disc, the AU customers get both what they're owed (aside from refunds), and the fans get a pro-active effort meant to finish a set that should have been done a year ago.

Let's do this. If you want a cover design - you got it. I'll do it so it looks like the actual covers and it'll be a seamless set on the shelf. If you want help in other ways, just ask.

I'm just sick of hearing that it's going to be alright, and then finding out otherwise. It's time to finish the MSCL DVD set, and we're more than capable of doing it.

Gary
Last edited by GaryEA on Jul 9th 2003, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Jul 9th 2003, 1:59 pm

If the members of the board feel strongly, they should contact Bedford Falls ASAP. Otherwise, it will be too late. For god's sake, at least make the disc non-exclusive to AU and let the fan site sell it at cost or slightly above.
GaryEA wrote:Could we just pursue publishing it ourselves and get it the hell over with? Please?

The way I say it, Ross will continue to stall as long as it suits him in order to avoid his obligations. No one is getting paid, nothing is being produced except pat emails saying "all is well" when it should read "we're f'ing up left and right, but we appreciate your loyalty... and cash".

If he pumps out a two disc bonus disc set (half now, half later... how convenient) - fine. That's what the nitwit was supposed to have done in the first place, plus a litany of other things. But in doing our own bonus disc, the AU customers get both what they're owed (aside from refunds), and the fans get a pro-active effort meant to finish a set that should have been done a year ago.

Let's do this. If you want a cover design - you got it. I'll do it so it looks like the actual covers and it'll be a seamless set on the shelf. If you want help in other ways, just ask.

I'm just sick of hearing that it's going to be alright, and then finding out otherwise. It's time to finish the MSCL DVD set, and we're more than capable of doing it.

Gary

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jul 9th 2003, 2:05 pm

I just did a search and was hit with an avalanche of results.

Jason, could you post the link to the thread with the BF contact addresses or post them one more time?

Thanks.

Gary

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jul 9th 2003, 3:19 pm

I agree we should act now on our own instead of waiting for the AU bonus disks (which I think we have a greater chance of catching the Hailbop comet than receiving). Plus the longer we wait the harder it is going to be to round up everthing to put on the disks. I'm willing to help, if it's needed. And I'll certainly purchase one.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 9th 2003, 3:54 pm

I'm really torn - as much as I would like Ross and AU to HAVE to deal with pressing and shipping the bonus discs to us, I also dislike allowing them to be in a position of power (meaning they have the rights). Even though many of us already paid for the bonus discs, I don't think that other fans should be denied the opportunity to purchase them and I certainly don't want RR/AU making any more money off of MSCL. If at all possible, I would like to see what BF says about the current situation. If I was in their position, I certainly wouldn't want a company like that to screw my fans any more than they already have.

Did AU ever get BF to sign that release form?
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jul 9th 2003, 4:13 pm

Doing our own disc would do nothing to Ross' obligations, as far as I'm concerned. He has to make those discs as money has already been exchanged for sets that were supposed to include the bonus items.

Our hypothetical disc has zip, nothing, nada to do with Ross. It's our project, an extension of not the box set, but the fanbase who's looking to gain access to the materials. Nothing more.

Ross need not apply.

Gary

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 9th 2003, 4:21 pm

Well when you put it that way...

(note to self: never NEVER make Gary angry!)

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jul 9th 2003, 4:24 pm

LOL! Sorry about that - this heat's making me cranky.

GARY SMASH!!!

:D

Gary

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Jul 9th 2003, 4:37 pm

If the fans were to sell the footage, what is AU.com going to do, sue you? BWAHAHAH.

Also, don't forget that this site survives by the good graces of BF and BV. Ross cannot sue you or he'd be more f'ed than he already is. BF and BV have certainly been looking the other way when it comes to use of material here.

And... who knows, BV might want to do its own set of MSCL one day. Do they want some conman creep living out of his car to own the rights to the interview?

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jul 9th 2003, 5:23 pm

GaryEA wrote:LOL! Sorry about that - this heat's making me cranky.

GARY SMASH!!!
:sunshine: :furious:

:lol: LMAO :lol:

Best,
Nothingman
(In loving memory of Lance)
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts