Finaly - The Petition.

This forum has been closed and archived. No further postings allowed. Read-only access. For more informations read this announcement.
zero
Liberty High Student

Finaly - The Petition.

Post by zero » Dec 8th 2002, 1:28 am

What larks.

The new petition is online at

http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/AU2/

I've decided to go with Ipetitions for a few reasons. Impartiality being the main one. I had a few offers of hosting which were both welcome and I'm sure genuinely bipartisan - however I figure Ip is at least neutral ground even though I am the only one with edit facilities. If that bugs anyone let me know and I'll ask some of the stalwarts who have helped me with this to take joint ownership of the account.

Speaking of edit - this petition will remain free from moronic spam as I can delete unwanted posts and it blocks any attempt to post twice from the same IP addy.

The only downside is that they insist on a 1000 word max - which I think is not so bad as i did already think was getting a little over long and defeating the "concise" part of the plan. I edited as best i could.

Lets hope people will be prepared to sign twice on the dotted line and that all the effort of the 1st Pt hasn't gone to waste.

Rickie Love
Yearbook Team

Post by Rickie Love » Dec 8th 2002, 4:35 am

Signed it - again :wink: Thanks for taking that on Zero. Sure hope you spread it FAR AND WIDE...
"Oh, just say the word and she's a footnote in history. I'll make it look like a painful accident..."

vapspwi
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: Finaly - The Petition.

Post by vapspwi » Dec 8th 2002, 11:47 am

Just a follow up, here, to a quote somebody left on the petition. Somebody said this was the first and last time that they'd ever order online. My response is that you shouldn't let one bad experience with a bunch of crooks spoil a great thing for you.

I've been buying stuff online for YEARS, since before the web came into being. I used to buy and trade trading cards and stuff like that through Usenet newsgroups. Once the web happened, I started ordering from Amazon.com (I'm still using a mousepad they sent me with an order YEARS ago, when they first started up), CDNow, and places like that. I've bought stuff off EBay, and ordered from a million places for computer hardware, books, music, all kinds of stuff. The ONLY problem I've ever had is this Another Universe situation (and I've even ordered from them, both pre-Rojek and with Rojek) without any problems.

So, while I would make it a policy to NEVER order anything from Another Universe or any other Rojek-associated company again, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. The vast majority of individuals and companies that are selling stuff on the web are honest and reliable, and you can get some GREAT deals from places like Amazon compared to buying in stores, especially for items like DVDs.

JRjr

blue_moon_34
Nicky Driscoll

Post by blue_moon_34 » Dec 8th 2002, 1:55 pm

hey, it was me that wrote that i'd never order online again. i guess i'm just really bitter at the whole situation, like everyone else. i'm sure someday i might order online once all of this is over. it's just you put all this important personal information like credit card numbers into someone's hands and they completely abuse that trust with double charges and empty promises. it could scar a person.

thanks for the positive feedback about other companies you've done online business with and have had no problems. i'll just have to make sure it's a really well known company like amazon.com when i try ordering online again.

countess_of_wit
Liberty High Student

Post by countess_of_wit » Dec 8th 2002, 2:30 pm

I felt the same way you did, blue_moon_34, and said I would never order online again, I felt completely violated after being double charged. I completely understand where you're at.

Recently though, I have reconsidered. This is the first time I have ever run into problems buying anything online, or over the phone with my credit card, and I have to say that while I learned a valuable lesson here with AU, I am still going to order online, for all the same reasons as vapspwi has. A better selection of books, CD's and movies than I would normally have access to, great service (like from Amazon), and great prices.

I'm new to this community, but I have to say if I hadn't come here and read for myself what's been going on with AU, I probably wouldn't have felt comfortable using my credit card again anywhere.

zero
Liberty High Student

Post by zero » Dec 8th 2002, 4:48 pm

Update:

Tidied up the links section - added anotheruniversesucks.org (sorry H I should have had that there from the get-go) and spruced the html a little.

If anyone has links to add or comments for the Petition sponsors section (or any other section for that matter) let me know.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 8th 2002, 7:13 pm

Not that I want any of you to feel MORE paranoid, but just remember that buying anything ANYWHERE opens you up to credit card fraud and the like. My mom HATES ordering online but she will call up a catalog's 800 number and order that way. I tried to explain to her that human greed is a factor any time that you give someone your credit card number and there is nothing that will stop someone who works in customer service from taking your credit card number and using it for their ill gain any more than someone on the internet.

Between my boyfriend and me, we have ordered TONS of stuff via the internet and ebay. The only other time that we got the shaft was ONE time on ebay (and he has ordered oodles of stuff there, so one time out of XXX times is pretty good).

The general rule of thumb is "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Use a credit card, not a debit card. Use PayPal (if there is a problem, like the time my boyfriend got screwed on ebay, PayPal will take the money out of the other person's PayPal account and put it right back into yours).

I'm not trying to convince you to do everything on the internet, but in general buying stuff on the internet is relatively safe. I know it's easy to let one negative experience sour you on it (especially if it was your first experience), but if you order from someone reputable (like Amazon) you will see how internet commerce should be (and usually is).
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

zero
Liberty High Student

Post by zero » Dec 8th 2002, 9:29 pm

UPDATE: A letter I sent to Ross.

As you may or may not be aware a previous attempt to begin a petition to advertise the hardship caused by another universe as a warning to potential customers was sabotaged by one or more of your shareholders. It received over 200 genuine signatures before it was withdrawn and has now been set up in a more secure environment.

In the interest of maintaining my integrity and personal responsibility I felt I should offer you a genuine chance of rebuttal - an opportunity to respond to the body of the petition. I understand that you might not be willing to do so for legal reasons but should you choose to I would be happy to include a link to a web page stating your or the companies position in the petitions links section.

here for your convenience is a link to the petition
http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/AU2/

And a link to dictionary dot com in case you need help understanding what I mean by "integrity" and "personal responsibility"
http://dictionary.reference.com/

Best,
Andrew Rust
Mod, AU Petition.

vapspwi
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by vapspwi » Dec 9th 2002, 10:50 am

zero wrote: And a link to dictionary dot com in case you need help understanding what I mean by "integrity" and "personal responsibility"
ZING! :lol:

JRjr

Spartacus
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Spartacus » Dec 9th 2002, 10:57 am

We have also mirrored the petition at:

http://www.anotheruniversesucks.org/petition.html

This saves the data to the same exact database being moderated by zero. We just figured it would 1) boost traffic to both sites, and allow petition signers to become part of the larger ausucks community.

both petition links work. we like ours better though. :D (shameless plug).

zero
Liberty High Student

Post by zero » Dec 9th 2002, 3:44 pm

Spartacus wrote:We have also mirrored the petition at:

http://www.anotheruniversesucks.org/petition.html

This saves the data to the same exact database being moderated by zero. We just figured it would 1) boost traffic to both sites, and allow petition signers to become part of the larger ausucks community.

both petition links work. we like ours better though. :D (shameless plug).
Its a damn fine link addy - and the more people that see ausucks.com the better - i will move it's link to the top of the links section on the pt when i get a chance.

For the same reasons i took out the lighthearted aspects of the pt body I will still use the main link when sending info to places like FOX5 - a certain gravitas is required in some situations, but will be happy to use the ausucks link along side it - for - as I'm sure you already know - we are all Spartacus!

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Petition

Post by lance » Dec 10th 2002, 2:57 pm

Just FYI,

I signed the petition.

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: Petition

Post by fnordboy » Dec 10th 2002, 6:52 pm

lance wrote:Just FYI,

I signed the petition.

Lance Man
ditto

zero
Liberty High Student

Post by zero » Dec 11th 2002, 4:12 pm

Update - Seems that the "read previous comments" default splits into batches of 50 sigs, can't quite work that one out yet?

In any case - finally had to use the "edit" facility on the new Pt and it works like a charm. 50+ and climbing - tell your friends.

I've linked the Pt to each of the fraud forms I've filled out today - I suggest everyone do likewise. Assuming you are filling out the online forms, if not - why the dickens not? 10 mins of your life that might help send RR to jail, you can't justify not doing it.

PS: worth repeating, if you have a bit of web space laying around - link to AUSucks.org to help the search engines find it.